Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why does a simple water bottle cost over $10 now?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why does a simple water bottle cost over $10 now?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-23, 09:13 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 1,552 Times in 727 Posts
Maybe the water bottles are made from eggs.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 01-12-23, 09:17 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2227 Post(s)
Liked 3,411 Times in 1,783 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
Maybe the water bottles are made from eggs.
Excellent point.

But last time I checked, birds and many reptiles and amphibians are made from eggs. Water bottles, like airplanes, may look like they hatch from eggs, but they are not in fact live vertebrate animals, despite superficial similarities.
Old 01-12-23, 09:20 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2227 Post(s)
Liked 3,411 Times in 1,783 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Seriously. Most US households have Prime.

https://techjury.net/blog/amazon-prime-statistics/#gref.
I'm thinking there will be one fewer in the next renewal period. When I order small ticket bike part stuff, I have recently been getting packages with nothing inside them, or, in the last instance, two right hand Time cleats.

I get the Rene Herse bottles for $10 each when I order new tires.
Old 01-12-23, 09:27 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4340 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 997 Posts
Seriously. Most US households have Prime.

https://techjury.net/blog/amazon-prime-statistics/#gref.
6 in 10 households have had Prime lasts year because Amazon offers free Prime trial memberships all the time. I had it twice. That has little to do with the number of people that maintain Prime memberships.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 01-12-23, 10:15 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,600 Times in 2,907 Posts
Did a search on Amazon, “Bicycle Water Bottles”, and put the maximum value of $10 and it returned a couple of dozen bottles. If you enter $12 (inflation since the old days) you get dozens more. So they do exist if you search. But then just about everything cost more from 10 years ago.

Old 01-13-23, 02:22 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
People buy water bottles? I thought they came as swag at outdoor functions.
Yeah, they give them away everywhere. I've got dozens of them.
Old 01-13-23, 02:33 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
buying stuff like you're after online will likely be much cheaper.
The LBS is 3x to what Amazon sells the same thing for.

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Sorry to continue the thread, but:

For the last 20 years or so I've bought 24-oz bottles of Gatorade to use on the bike. Clear, with a twist-open nozzle, fits snugly in a bottle cage. Cost is about $2.50, but you get free Gatorade, or a free bottle, depending on how you look at it.

Earlier versions used plastic that eventually became brittle and cracked, but the current bottles are far more durable. The ones I'm using now have already lasted a few years, with no sign that they'll deteriorate any time soon.

The only problem is that very few convenience stores carry the 24-oz sport bottles these days for some mysterious reason.
I noticed that too. I now try to catch a bundle of them on sale at Meijer or Kroger. Powerade "kids pak" seems to be easier to find at a local liquor store.
Old 01-13-23, 08:00 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 392 Times in 232 Posts
If...I mean when...I get that $14,000 bike from another thread, then I need to get an expensive water bottle. I think it's a law.

But for now, I am trying to figure out if it is ok to ride outside with a Zwift water bottle.
Likes For bblair:
Old 01-13-23, 08:45 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
That's where I get mine. I even have some with different colored tops.
Old 01-13-23, 08:49 AM
seypat

The $10 and above bottles are weight balanced so you can better attempt the water bottle/bidon flip.

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...ll-me-how.html
Likes For seypat:
Old 01-13-23, 08:59 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6942 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
6 in 10 households have had Prime lasts year because Amazon offers free Prime trial memberships all the time. I had it twice. That has little to do with the number of people that maintain Prime memberships.
But it has everything to do with the number (or %) of households that can access the free shipping, which is what we’re talking about.
Old 01-13-23, 09:05 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I lost my vintage Exceed water bottle when I knocked it off my bookshelf and it landed on the desk below and shattered!
I bought a 72 Condor from a guy that bought it new from the shop in England. It had been sitting in storage for some time. He sent it back to the factory in the mid 80s to have the rear respaced, and some add ons brazed on. They did the work, repainted/redecaled it and sent it back. He then upgraded it through the years. He kept all the parts/stuff that was associated with the bike from the beginning, including the plastic bags from the factory store and the Condor labeled water bottle. When I tried to remove it from the bottle holder(which is a vintage allara brand BTW) it shattered like yours. I still have the vintage Condor factory store bags. The coolest thing that came with it is a 57T Campy chainring that the PO used for TTing.
Old 01-13-23, 09:11 AM
seypat

But it has everything to do with the number (or %) of households that can access the free shipping, which is what we’re talking about.
Exactly.
Old 01-13-23, 09:52 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
An Aquafina water bottle from the gas station fits my water bottle holder perfectly and I don't feel bad about tossing it in the trash when it eventually gets all scratched from being in the holder. And it comes with the first fill-up of water included!
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 01-13-23, 10:14 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
I'm going to guess those organized group rides you pay $XXX for are enjoyable to you for what you pay, and you're not going on them just to pay $XXX for a branded water bottle. Back in my youthful days I would do 10K and marathon runs. They were pretty cheap to enter, usually run by a non-profit group to raise funds,, and gave away little-to-no swag; you'd have to buy a t-shirt, mug or other goodies separately from the entry fee. I'd even volunteer to work at some of them if I wasn't running. I stopped going to those when the organizers running them became commercial 'for profit' business that severely raised up the prices, brought in paid commercial sponsors (vendors paying for a display spot or advertsing banners along a route), beer gardens, live entertainment, etc, and the 'for profit' business would try and recruit volunteer labor to staff the event. Crazy, not worth it anymore.
Old 01-13-23, 10:29 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3492 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
beer gardens...not worth it anymore.
The devil you say!
Likes For smd4:
Old 01-13-23, 10:42 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
I'm going to guess those organized group rides you pay $XXX for are enjoyable to you for what you pay, and you're not going on them just to pay $XXX for a branded water bottle. Back in my youthful days I would do 10K and marathon runs. They were pretty cheap to enter, usually run by a non-profit group to raise funds,, and gave away little-to-no swag; you'd have to buy a t-shirt, mug or other goodies separately from the entry fee. I'd even volunteer to work at some of them if I wasn't running. I stopped going to those when the organizers running them became commercial 'for profit' business that severely raised up the prices, brought in paid commercial sponsors (vendors paying for a display spot or advertsing banners along a route), beer gardens, live entertainment, etc, and the 'for profit' business would try and recruit volunteer labor to staff the event. Crazy, not worth it anymore.
A lot of mine came from volunteering at climbing comps my kids were in, as well as promo items from manufacturers and vendors at work
Old 01-13-23, 11:25 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,600 Times in 2,907 Posts
The only problem with cheap water bottles and freebies is that they may not be BPA-free. I don’t like ingesting cancer causing chemicals and only use certified BPA-free bottles - but that is after decades of using BPA laced bottles. But I am just a touch smarter now.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 01-13-23, 11:38 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3414 Post(s)
Liked 3,542 Times in 1,782 Posts
200 Big Mouth 21 oz bottles for $600, including custom logo printing.

$3 a piece. Who wants to go in on a purchase?

Old 01-13-23, 11:42 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts

This is my idea of the quintessential touring bike. Take note of his water bottles.
Likes For Chuck Naill:
Old 01-13-23, 11:45 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,648 Times in 4,056 Posts
I always gauge organized rides/races by what I come home with. "Of course I love this shirt, it cost me $90."

There's a couple of $200 rides coming up that I'm tempted to do, but DANG $200!!!
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 01-13-23, 11:54 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,648 Times in 4,056 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck Naill

This is my idea of the quintessential touring bike. Take note of his water bottles.
I just bring one bottle these days, and hydration bladders. Sometimes I worry about hydration bladders failing, but I've only had one get a slow leak. BITD I did lose 2 liters of water from a bottle. I had two 2-liters in my trunk bag, I'd finished one and when I went to fill my water bottle from the second 2-liter bottle I noticed my trunk bag was all wet and only about 200 ml left in there This being a 120-mile ride out in the desert, I was really looking forward to that water. Luckily an hour later I came upon the mobile home of a Navajo preacher, and he kept bragging "Oh yeah, this is even city water!" and gave me some hominy casserole to eat also.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 01-13-23, 12:21 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by Chuck Naill

How much does a rig like that weigh without the rider?
Old 01-13-23, 12:50 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 83 Posts
this sub forum has become the Road Cycling sub forum.

Retail pricing has many factors that users like Koyote seem to not grasp. The OP is seeing bottles above the $10 price range so he asks a question. He wonders why. Sort answer is many factors. Cost of inventory, cost of handeling, costs of distribution, costs of materials. profit margin, changes due to economies of scale. I'm sure there are other factors. Consider the cost of a simple fastener at your local hardware store. It wasn't that long ago that a single washer was pennies....now much more but then wages are far greater as is everything else. Electronic infrastructure in retail establishments is also a cost.
Old 01-13-23, 01:36 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,857 Times in 6,071 Posts
But it doesn’t cost over $10 now.

I thought it was that the point goes over your head, not that you go over the point's head?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.