Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Suntour freewheel

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Suntour freewheel

Old 01-16-23, 03:01 PM
louky

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Suntour freewheel

Could someone confirm that Amazon.com : Park Tool FR-2 Freewheel Remover SunTour 2 Notch : Bike Hand Tools : Sports & Outdoors is the tool I need for this freewheel? Thanks!
Old 01-16-23, 03:17 PM
grumpus

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by louky
Could someone confirm that Amazon.com : Park Tool FR-2 Freewheel Remover SunTour 2 Notch : Bike Hand Tools : Sports & Outdoors is the tool I need for this freewheel? Thanks!
That's the one you need, but they tend not to work very well particularly if the thread wasn't greased before the freewheel was fitted. Be sure to tighten the axle nut firmly against the tool before trying to crack it, then loosen before unwinding further.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 01-16-23, 03:21 PM
louky

Grumpus: Is that just the nature of the tool with notches, or is there a different brand of tool you would recommend over the Park? Thanks
Old 01-16-23, 03:47 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Same price on eBay, but with free shipping, and there are several sellers to choose from. Here's one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255434192309

The two notched Suntour freewheel can be a little cumbersome when it has been on the hub for an extended period of time. The Park tool is probably the best choice. Be sure to snug down the tool really well before attempting to remove the freewheel.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-16-23, 04:01 PM
redshift1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 35 Posts
About half way down, some details on what to do.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/freewhe...he%20freewheel.

I second the advice from the above posters - clamp that tool in. Because there are only two notches, if the tool tilts only slightly under load, there is more chance of dis-engagement with possible subsequent tool and notch damage.

Last edited by redshift1; 01-16-23 at 04:09 PM.
Likes For redshift1:
Old 01-16-23, 05:33 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Grumpus: Is that just the nature of the tool with notches, or is there a different brand of tool you would recommend over the Park? Thanks
The problem isn't with the tool but with the freewheel design. The Park tool is as good as they get. As noted, be sure to clamp the remover tool in place with the axle nut before applying torque. One of the better ways to remove the freewheel is to clamp the tool in a vise and use the rim like a steering wheel to unthread the freewheel. As noted, loosen the axle nut as soon as the freewheel breaks loose.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 01-16-23, 05:40 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts

​​​​​​https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-stripped.html
Old 01-16-23, 08:11 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
The tool does tend to break. Sometimes even when you're "pretty careful".
I'd recommend hosing down the important spot with a "real" penetrating oil vs WD-40 or similar.

You need to clamp the tool, but it will get incredibly tight against the axle nut/skewer used to retain the tool.
You'll want to NOT do much more than break the bond (which may be very strong if it's been on for decades) and then back off the retainer a bit. Repeat once more than you should be good.
DON'T rotate it very much at a time when using the retainer.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 01-16-23, 11:53 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26249 Post(s)
Liked 10,231 Times in 7,100 Posts
...IME the best removal tool for this was made and sold by Suntour themselves, but they are no longer doing that.
Do not be too discouraged if you can't remove it, even by clamping in the Park remover. You can usually accomplish a destructive removal in that case, but you lose the freewheel.

For a very stuck freewheel, I use both heat and Freeze Off in the hub threaded interface with the freewheel body. But nothing works 100% of the time. There are people here who swear that an air impact wrench is the best way to loosen these, but I'm not sure if it works very well with this problematic two notch design for the freewheel and tool.
Old 01-17-23, 07:25 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Scott CR1 SL, Huffy RedRock (first bike), Aostimotor S17 ebike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 122 Posts
What's wrong with it? Teeth look pretty good from what I can see.

Also, it could be easier to remove if you lock the tool in a vice and turn the wheel itself, like a bus driver. (Learned it at co-op)

Last edited by XxHaimBondxX; 01-17-23 at 07:30 AM.
Old 01-17-23, 11:53 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Is that just the nature of the tool with notches, or is there a different brand of tool you would recommend over the Park? Thanks
That's the nature of two-notch freewheels. SunTour is much better than Regina and its two-notch copies (Everest/Caimi, Maillard, old Shimano Dura-Ace and 600, etc.), but it's still too easy to damage the tool, the freewheel, or both. Don't use a Regina-type tool on a SunTour freewheel, or vice-versa, as the likelihood of damage is virtually 100%.

My experience is that SunTour's official freewheel tool is stronger than the Park, but the SunTour tool is getting harder to find.
Old 01-17-23, 12:37 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,740 Times in 1,498 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...IME the best removal tool for this was made and sold by Suntour themselves, but they are no longer doing that.
Do not be too discouraged if you can't remove it, even by clamping in the Park remover. You can usually accomplish a destructive removal in that case, but you lose the freewheel.

For a very stuck freewheel, I use both heat and Freeze Off in the hub threaded interface with the freewheel body. But nothing works 100% of the time. There are people here who swear that an air impact wrench is the best way to loosen these, but I'm not sure if it works very well with this problematic two notch design for the freewheel and tool.
+1 on freeze off being helpful in lots of situations

Old 01-17-23, 07:19 PM
louky

I was going to ask about heat. I didn't know anything about freeze off. I am removing it because it's extremely stiff and gummy when trying to freewheel. The chain is piling up when going backwards and the wheel is turning the pedals bigtime on the stand when on the stand. I was going to try to clean it with wd-40 while assembled by spraying and turning til it frees up and then lubing. I guess I could do this on the wheel but it will be messy.

After the comments I am becoming leery of this job but I have the tool on the way. This bike is slated for donation so it won't be the end of the world if I don't get it off.

Also, I had thought of trying my 18V impact. I have had some luck using it on BB's that I couldn't move with a breaker. The issue for me would be stopping quick enough after it starts moving.
Old 01-17-23, 08:17 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
.....Also, I had thought of trying my 18V impact. I have had some luck using it on BB's that I couldn't move with a breaker. The issue for me would be stopping quick enough after it starts moving.
DON'T! A recipe for disaster.

A real long breaker bar will give better control.
I had to take a triangular file to relieve the the notches on the combination wrench to fit over the PARK tool.
It was that or grind down the high edge on all my PARK FW/Cassette tools at a time I was without a grinder.
They are too hard to file.
It gives pretty good control, but you still have to pay attention on how you align your direction of force.
IF you have an assistant that won't wimp out on you, have them hold the wheel so you can put one hand on the tool and the other on the "lever" and ease it off. CONTROL!

That's the advantage of using a good vise to hold the tool. You can place your hands opposite of each other on the wheel and control the direction of force better.

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 01-17-23 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-17-23, 08:59 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

I am removing it because it's extremely stiff and gummy when trying to freewheel. I was going to try to clean it with wd-40...
Well, you need it removed so you can service the hub properly.

But you don't need it necessarily removed to overhaul the freewheel. All you need is a hammer and punch. And if you don't have a bench vise handy, just use the wheel itself to help you remove the freewheel lock ring, which is reverse threaded. Now, sometimes you have to punch it several times to free that lock ring. Keep punching. Once the lock ring is removed, keep the top set of bearings separated from the lower set. Use only a little bit of grease in both races. Don't lose those really thin spacers that automatically adjust the freewheel. Clean, but don't lube pawls. It's really simple and a lot better way to service a freewheel than just using wd-40.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-17-23, 11:33 PM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
One of the better ways to remove the freewheel is to clamp the tool in a vise and use the rim like a steering wheel to unthread the freewheel. As noted, loosen the axle nut as soon as the freewheel breaks loose.
In my experience in removing dozens and dozens of Suntour (RIP) freewheels, the absolute most foolproof way is to do what HillRider recommends: clamp the tool in a secured bench vise. I have never failed in successfully removing a Suntour freewheel (Regina freewheels are another story).

Of course first remove the axle nut, place the tool and tighten her up, very snug but not extreme torque. Make sure you are turning the wheel in the right direction. You'll probably hear a crack when the freewheel finally breaks free. Then loosen up the axle nut and spin the freewheel off.
Old 01-17-23, 11:42 PM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 132 Posts
I was going to ask about heat. I didn't know anything about freeze off. I am removing it because it's extremely stiff and gummy when trying to freewheel. The chain is piling up when going backwards and the wheel is turning the pedals bigtime on the stand when on the stand. I was going to try to clean it with wd-40 while assembled by spraying and turning til it frees up and then lubing. I guess I could do this on the wheel but it will be messy.

After the comments I am becoming leery of this job but I have the tool on the way. This bike is slated for donation so it won't be the end of the world if I don't get it off.

Also, I had thought of trying my 18V impact. I have had some luck using it on BB's that I couldn't move with a breaker. The issue for me would be stopping quick enough after it starts moving.
Just dribble some kind of oil into the freewheel. Just set the wheel on the side and spin the freewheel. You'll see the part in the middle that does not move while the cogs are spinning. At the interface dribble some oil in there. I always use Phil's Tenacious Oil but I'm sure just about anything is fine.

WD40 is fine to loosen and clean things out but not as a lubricant. Use something like (or equivalent) a 30wt oil.

Last edited by HelpSingularity; 01-17-23 at 11:45 PM.
Likes For HelpSingularity:
Old 01-18-23, 05:23 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Scott CR1 SL, Huffy RedRock (first bike), Aostimotor S17 ebike

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Well, you need it removed so you can service the hub properly.

But you don't need it necessarily removed to overhaul the freewheel. All you need is a hammer and punch. And if you don't have a bench vise handy, just use the wheel itself to help you remove the freewheel lock ring, which is reverse threaded. Now, sometimes you have to punch it several times to free that lock ring. Keep punching. Once the lock ring is removed, keep the top set of bearings separated from the lower set. Use only a little bit of grease in both races. Don't lose those really thin spacers that automatically adjust the freewheel. Clean, but don't lube pawls. It's really simple and a lot better way to service a freewheel than just using wd-40.
Did exactly the same thing last week because the freewheel had a little play. I removed one and only thin spacer, leaving only the notched washer and the play was fixed. Is it fine riding this way? In all the videos I've seen, there are quite a few of these washers, and it was surprising to find only one, and currently zero. My theory is the races gotten deeper because it was dry as a bone, however, now lubed up it spin very smoothly.

Hope it's just the camera angle, but that lockring looks cross threaded.
​​​​​​​

Last edited by XxHaimBondxX; 01-18-23 at 06:28 AM.
Old 01-18-23, 06:21 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,887 Times in 1,646 Posts
Originally Posted by HelpSingularity
Just dribble some kind of oil into the freewheel. Just set the wheel on the side and spin the freewheel. You'll see the part in the middle that does not move while the cogs are spinning. At the interface dribble some oil in there. I always use Phil's Tenacious Oil but I'm sure just about anything is fine.

WD40 is fine to loosen and clean things out but not as a lubricant. Use something like (or equivalent) a 30wt oil.
Quoting for emphasis. If the only problem is sluggish freewheeling, don't bother buying a freewheel puller.

Just drip a few drops of medium-weight oil in at the outer edge of the lock ring while the wheel is horizontal. That's all it will take to dilute the gummy residue (that used to be oil) within the freewheel mechanism. Then spin the wheel while holding the wheel horizontal and the freewheel and the axle stationary to get the fresh oil to penetrate fully. It's always satisfying to feel the resistance in the freewheel mechanism disappearing.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 01-18-23, 09:39 AM
louky

I think it is the camera angle (or else it came from the factory this way).

I will try the trick with the oil.

BTW can someone tell me how to use the quote and the multi guote function?

Last edited by louky; 01-18-23 at 09:42 AM. Reason: added sentence
Old 01-18-23, 09:46 AM
grumpus

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 307 Posts
I am removing it because it's extremely stiff and gummy when trying to freewheel. The chain is piling up when going backwards and the wheel is turning the pedals bigtime on the stand when on the stand. I was going to try to clean it with wd-40 while assembled by spraying and turning til it frees up and then lubing. I guess I could do this on the wheel but it will be messy.
It shouldn't take much squirt and spin to get it running freely. Try to keep solvent away from the hub bearings. A few drops of oil once it's freed up will keep it running smoothly. In the worst case you can disassemble the freewheel to either service or remove it - just tap the face plate clockwise with a punch, remove carefully. Put a rag over the freewheel and invert the wheel while holding the freewheel in place, try not to fling balls all over the floor while lifting the wheel off the outer body. You can now clean, grease (just enough to hold the balls in place) and reassemble, or use a vice or pipe wrench to destructively remove the inner body from the hub.
I used to use the better Suntour freewheels that had adjustable bearings (and four extractor notches) they were worth the effort of rebuilding. Cheaper models maybe not so much, although if they have the right size shims they can be adjusted to run nicely.
Old 01-18-23, 12:22 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Originally Posted by XxHaimBondxX
Did exactly the same thing last week because the freewheel had a little play. I removed one and only thin spacer, leaving only the notched washer and the play was fixed. Is it fine riding this way?
If that was the only way to fix the "play," then I think you probably did the right thing.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-18-23, 01:07 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,740 Times in 1,498 Posts
I would spray triflow through and then lay it on it's side and let Phils tenacious oil gravity feed through this has worked wonders.

taking apart a freewheel and really rehabbing it is some thing I have not done, especially after having to remove one using the hammer and drift on the lock ring and having 40billion more or less ball bearings drop out and hide in the garage

Old 01-18-23, 04:16 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Originally Posted by squirtdad
disassembling and overhauling a freewheel is something I have not done, especially after having ... 40billion ball bearings drop out and hide in the garage.
It's super easy when you have the removal tool at your disposal, so you can remove the entire freewheel from the hub after loosening the lock ring. Then you place the entire freewheel on a towel, so if bearings do drop out, they won't bounce. There are usually around 25 in each race. They're so small that they stick really well to a tiny line of fresh grease.

It's probably the easiest component to adjust, because, with its thin spacers present, there is no adjustment. You just retighten the lock ring the same way you removed it.
Old 01-19-23, 11:32 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 456 Posts
BTW can someone tell me how to use the quote and the multi guote function?
When logged in, you should see "Quote" and "Multi Quote" buttons at the bottom of each post.

To quote a single post, select the "Quote" button at the end of a prior comment vice using the reply button at the bottom of the thread.

To use "Multi Quote", select the check box in the "Multi Quote" button in each post you want to quote; when you're finished, hit the "Quote" button.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Hondo6; 01-19-23 at 02:12 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.