Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Advice for a beginner

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Advice for a beginner

Old 01-06-23, 05:15 PM
TheRealGarin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Advice for a beginner

Hello there,

I'm a fit 66yo who wants to get back on a bike. I used to ride when I was a teen back in France, steel bikes...

I want to do loops around the park in winter and rides in the countryside in summer.

I'm shopping around for a carbon frame 58cm (I'm 6') under $2K and I've seen a few.

Most are 8 to +10 years old. Some have fancy groupsets.

I see a lot of traders, people who are not the original owners/riders. I'm not sure I like that.

-2013 Giant TCR Advance SL Radobank @ $1500

It has a Campagnolo 10 speed instead of the original 11 speed Shimano Ultegra that came with it.

Blue book says $1200 for what's it worth.

-2013 Cannondale SuperSix Evo Di2 @ 1650
Blue book says $1000

Are Di2 reliable after 10 years? I'd hate to fork $$$$ and have this derailleur fail.

Any particular advice?

Thank you!
Old 01-06-23, 05:26 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,170 Posts
When you are new to cycling it would be hard to judge the condition of a used bike. Thus I would recommend you head to a local bike shop and check new bikes. The shop can check and verify the fit and guide you onto something appropriate. You also get to test ride different bikes, which is very important. You're $1500 price range would get you onto an aluminum bike with decent components. As well you've got the shop to help with maintenance after you've ridden it a few months.
Old 01-06-23, 06:29 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
+1 Good advice on going to a bike shop.

Your $1500 budget will put you in range of a wide variety of options, from high end “recreational” bikes to the first rungs of the hig-performance models. Plus they’ll be able to offer multiple sizes, so you’re more sure to be comfortable on the model you choose.

If you had a tighter budget, like $500, we’d definitely be happy to provide more used bike shopping tips, but with your budget; unless there’s a particular model or top-dollar feature that has your fancy; you’re far better served, as a “re-entry” rider, by starting with a bike from a shop.
Old 01-06-23, 06:33 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Bicycle Blue Book is close to worthless for valuing bikes. There is a large discrepancy from one area to another. I am a fan of used bikes, but, if one is inexperienced, it is hard to judge what is worth the price to you. That is what matters price wise. Also, if one does not have the tools and knowledge, or access to those, a used bike can wind up with a lot higher cost than anticipated. There is a lot of self satisfaction in obtaining and getting a used bike to be what you envision it to be. As to a new bike, real good idea for the inexperienced, with the caveat the purchase is made from a reputable shop with a salesman and mechanic that can make good suggestions towards making the bike what you want, with a good, comfortable fit, within your budget.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 01-07-23, 06:23 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
Focus on fit and being able to test ride some bikes. I would think at 66 you may want the bars closer to or just below level with the saddle (for your back).
Likes For Noonievut:
Old 01-07-23, 08:14 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 263 Posts
I'd not trust 10 year old Di2 kit only because of the potential difficulty finding a replacement part should one fail...and the cost of the replacement part may be quite high.
As said I'd check with local bike shops to see what they offer as well as asking about local riding clubs/groups/etc. You may learn the most riding with other like minded people and have a lot more fun doing it.

I'm still on 11 speed Ultegra mechanical...by choice. Even though I get my parts wholesale it is still expensive to outfit a bike with a Di2 system and I had a perfectly good mechanical set ready to use. I'm even using mechanical disk brakes...TRP's carbon calipers are quite good though a bit costly. While not as smooth and requiring a bit more strength to use they work fine.

Di2 kit works great and I've worked on and built many a bike with Di2 but mechanical still has a place so don't discount it.
Enjoy riding no matter the bike...
Old 01-07-23, 08:30 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
You are almost in the price range of a good new bike from a shop. You don't need carbon. Look for one of newer "comfort road" or gravel bikes. Even a fit 60 year old will be better off with higher bars than a racer. 28 to 32 mm tires will cut down road vibrations and still roll efficiently.
Old 01-07-23, 08:38 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Something like this will do you fine and you can establish a relationship with your local shop.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...ode=blue_black
Old 01-07-23, 08:54 AM
Irishred

Bikes: Tour Easy; Salsa Marrakesh

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 14 Posts
TRGarin- I too would steer away from carbon fiber (aka plastic) bikes, especially used ones. You don't know if they've been dropped or not which can be a VERY bad thing for a carbon frame.
I am almost 78 and have owned carbon (new), aluminum, and steel framed bikes. Two months ago, I decided to settle on a new steel frame because it is easier on my bones. The tires are 700 X 42c and so the ride is very comfortable. I ride it for pleasure but mostly for commuting to work. It is a touring bike actually. It is a SALSA MARRAKESH that was about $1800 new. The ride feel might be compared to riding in a Cadilac instead of a Corvette. So, if you're not too interested in speed (been there, done that) you might want to take a look at this bike on Salsa's sight. It was kind of a getting back to basics thing as in (steel is real) when it comes to frames. Also, it does come with drop bars, but I have it set up so that the saddle is at the same height as the top of the drop bar. I am also 6' and the 57" frame fits me perfectly. Best of luck to you.
Likes For Irishred:
Old 01-07-23, 09:17 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Got This when I turned 70.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 01-07-23, 10:46 AM
TheRealGarin

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you so much all of you for the pertinent advice.
I'll look around my neighborhood for bike shops but (I live in NYC and the cost of living is extravagant) I'll keep an eye open for an appropriate used bike from a first owner outside the city.
I forgot to mention I'm very mechanically inclined. I ride a Piaggio BV scooter daily and just completed a complete overhaul of the transmission.
I'll keep the handlebar/saddle level in mind.
Likes For TheRealGarin:
Old 01-07-23, 10:49 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,282 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by TheRealGarin
Any particular advice?
Advice? Stay away from online bike forums -- they'll make you question why you got into cycling.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-07-23, 11:02 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,170 Posts
Thank you so much all of you for the pertinent advice.
I'll look around my neighborhood for bike shops but (I live in NYC and the cost of living is extravagant) I'll keep an eye open for an appropriate used bike from a first owner outside the city.
I forgot to mention I'm very mechanically inclined. I ride a Piaggio BV scooter daily and just completed a complete overhaul of the transmission.
I'll keep the handlebar/saddle level in mind.
A gravel bike would be a good bike for NYC riding. You could put on some wide, 36-43mm street tires, it would make for a really comfortable ride and would not feel too slow. Cannondale Topstone 3 or the Co-Op ADV 2.2, both sold at REI on Lafayette St. They probably have a shop as well.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 01-07-23, 11:18 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Any particular advice?

Thank you!
The first thing you need to do is to make make up your mind and decide what type of bike you want, the second thing to do is to visit a few bike shops in your area and try out different brands of bikes. Last thing to do is to pick the bike that fits you and the one you like the most. Also stay away form 8 year old carbon bikes with fancy group sets because those bike have probably been used hard and maybe even crashed or have some hidden damage which you can't see.
Old 01-07-23, 11:27 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,282 Times in 2,941 Posts
Blue book says $1200 for what's it worth.
Blue book says $1000
I wouldn't put much stock in "blue book" values -- they're pretty meaningless.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-07-23, 11:30 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
The two bikes you mention, Giant TCR and the Cannondale SuperSix have a fairly aggressive fit. So if you aren't going to be riding like a bat out of 'H' 'e ' double toothpicks through that park and the rides in the country, then you might want something with a more relaxed fit.

With those bikes when properly sized for you, then your saddle will be much higher than the bars. If you rode vintage bikes from back in the day, then you probably want something where the bars are about the same height as the saddle or just a tad lower.

Not sure off the top of my head what a good choice is for Giant in a relaxed fit, but a Cannondale Synapse is a much more relaxed fit than those two bikes. Likewise is a Trek Domane. And a very relaxed fit can be had on a Specialized Roubaix. Frame stack is one of the things you need to be aware of to know if it will put the bars higher or lower than another bike. Other geometry things can make that not the absolute thing to go by, but it gives you a quick way to know which way the bike fit will lean. Lower stack and that lean will be you!

If you are going by visual aesthetics in your bike choices then you are probably finding the sexy sports cars of the bike world. And they will be aggressive race fit bikes.

Last edited by Iride01; 01-07-23 at 11:33 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 01-07-23, 04:32 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
The two bikes you mention, Giant TCR and the Cannondale SuperSix have a fairly aggressive fit. So if you aren't going to be riding like a bat out of 'H' 'e ' double toothpicks through that park and the rides in the country, then you might want something with a more relaxed fit.

With those bikes when properly sized for you, then your saddle will be much higher than the bars. If you rode vintage bikes from back in the day, then you probably want something where the bars are about the same height as the saddle or just a tad lower.

Not sure off the top of my head what a good choice is for Giant in a relaxed fit, but a Cannondale Synapse is a much more relaxed fit than those two bikes. Likewise is a Trek Domane. And a very relaxed fit can be had on a Specialized Roubaix. Frame stack is one of the things you need to be aware of to know if it will put the bars higher or lower than another bike. Other geometry things can make that not the absolute thing to go by, but it gives you a quick way to know which way the bike fit will lean. Lower stack and that lean will be you!

If you are going by visual aesthetics in your bike choices then you are probably finding the sexy sports cars of the bike world. And they will be aggressive race fit bikes.
I agree with this. The Cannondale Synapse, Trek Domaine, Specialized Roubaix and Giant Defy are good choices as they are "endurance" road bikes which are more upright.

Though if you do a lot of riding on NYC streets, I agree with SteveB that a gravel bike might be a better choice. Take a look a the Jamis Renegade or GT Grade.

This all being said, test ride different bikes to find out what you like. Don't get hung up on a brand as there are many great brands out there. The most important thing is that you get something that fits you well. A bike shop can help you with this. If you're in NYC, there are plenty of shops. I used to work near Toga Bike Shop on West End & 64th St. They sell mostly Cannondale and Specialized. They seem to have a knowledgeable staff, though beware that Specialized gives their dealers sales quotas, so they will try to push you toward Specialized.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 01-09-23, 07:35 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Get a mid-late '70s upper-level Motobécane.
I worked in a shop in the mid-late '70s that sold Motobécane bikes, among other European brands. Great bikes. Buying a bike today, though, I'd recommend a Motobecane from BikesDirect. I've bought two (one aluminum, one carbon) over the last 15 years, and I'm very happy with both, and with the fact that they cost about what the equivalent Trek or Specialized bike would have cost me at an employee discount, if I still worked in a bike shop.
Old 01-18-23, 04:48 PM
TheRealGarin

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you all.

I actually went for a 2017 Specialized Roubaix Expert with 33mm tires. It's a first owner bike and in very good condition, well kept, I looked at everything very very carefully, and inspected the carbon for cracks, fissures, nicks etc. It's mechanical Ultegra, and it has a front damper, disc brakes.
I paid $1500. Since I'm going to use it on tarmac around Central Park in the winter and on gravel/dirt/tarmac roads in the Berkshires in the summer, it's perfect.

Best pieces of advice I got here:
-BB is worthless
-used Di2 is a liability
-aggressive fit might not be a good choice
Worst piece of advice:
None really
Likes For TheRealGarin:
Old 01-19-23, 06:37 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Thank you all.

I actually went for a 2017 Specialized Roubaix Expert with 33mm tires. It's a first owner bike and in very good condition, well kept, I looked at everything very very carefully, and inspected the carbon for cracks, fissures, nicks etc. It's mechanical Ultegra, and it has a front damper, disc brakes.
I paid $1500. Since I'm going to use it on tarmac around Central Park in the winter and on gravel/dirt/tarmac roads in the Berkshires in the summer, it's perfect.

Best pieces of advice I got here:
-BB is worthless
-used Di2 is a liability
-aggressive fit might not be a good choice
Worst piece of advice:
None really
Congrats! Ride the heck out of it!!
Old 01-19-23, 07:24 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 727 Posts
Well done!
Great choice and deal.
Old 01-19-23, 03:31 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2564 Post(s)
Liked 5,595 Times in 2,903 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Got This when I turned 70.
Did it cost $1500 like he is looking for?

Old 01-19-23, 03:54 PM
Frank72

Bikes: 2022 Ribble Endurance Disc Sport 2018 Trek Emonda Al4, 2012 Motobecane Heat Ti,

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 67 Posts
Hey Check out this sale from Ribble, $1500 carbon fiber Shimano 105 Bike: https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-r872-disc-105/

Ribble makes great stuff! Enjoy!