Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The Monotonous Use of Carbon Components

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The Monotonous Use of Carbon Components

Old 01-18-23, 04:26 PM
Ynotnow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 7 Posts
I've always been a fan of bare metal/black components, but I do enjoy the look of raw carbon as well.

The finish that I'd never personally own is the newer style paint that looks like the candy coating on a Skittles
It's pervasive in the mountain bike world and I've seen some, shall we say, rather unique colors out on the trail 😂.
Likes For Ynotnow:
Old 01-18-23, 04:49 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,774 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I think Mick sang it out decades ago

Old 01-18-23, 04:50 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,774 Posts
The GRX silverized components were so limited that I have only seen it in pictures, never in person, and certainly never for sale.

But even with that, they had a black inner chain-ring. WTF?
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 01-18-23, 05:03 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4728 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
IMO, it's about balance.. you take the dark, you take the light, and what you got, the facts of life

Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 01-18-23, 05:04 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Contrast helps

Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 01-18-23, 06:34 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3482 Post(s)
Liked 2,902 Times in 1,763 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The OP didnt ask for proof. The OP asked a question. Pictures of bikes from 40 years ago didnt answer or even acknowledge the question.
I wasn’t responding to the OP. I was responding to you. Hence, why I quoted you.
Old 01-18-23, 08:59 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
Originally Posted by Yelbom15
Do you think bikes will ever come back to polished components or are we stuck in this dark black/gray carbon era.
Fashions change. When a tipping point is reached due to [insert your preferred reason here] things will circle back to silver/polished. Or they'll move on to whatever may come next. So...yes?
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 01-19-23, 12:13 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 5,577 Times in 2,894 Posts
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
Fashions change. When a tipping point is reached due to [insert your preferred reason here] things will circle back to silver/polished. Or they'll move on to whatever may come next. So...yes?
100%. The marketing types will say something like, “Well since the market is now saturated with black, we need to introduce our new high end bikes with subtle colors and steel/chrome colored wheels and gruppos and everyone will then have to start buying the latest trend.”

Old 01-19-23, 05:15 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
You have now posted up 4 pictures and all the bikes plus components are well over 3 decades old, with a few well older than 4 decades. What do these have to do with the OP's comments abput current modern components?

this isn’t 40 years old…

You have to go down market on shifting and upmarket in the rest to get silver. This bike is still not a good example of modern though
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 01-19-23, 08:26 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I wasn’t responding to the OP. I was responding to you. Hence, why I quoted you.
I am aware you were responding to me.

OP asked a question.
Wildwood didnt answer the question or even address the point the OP is presumably trying to make, and instead posted pictures of bikes with silver components that are 30-40 years old.
I pointed out that Wildwood didnt answer the question and didnt further the discussion.
You came in and responded to me that wildwood's point in posting those pictures is that silver is better than black.

Ok cool, but that was never in question here. That wasnt the OP's question and it hadnt become a secondary question. I point this out and you now tell me you were responding to me.

Seriously, are you this bad at conversation in person too? Do you manage to argue with this high a % of people in person?
Old 01-19-23, 08:32 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6926 Post(s)
Liked 10,926 Times in 4,667 Posts
You did passively bring up Paul Components as a brand making silver bits due to the pic though, which I dont think had been mentioned yet.
I didn't mention Paul directly, but did offer this much earlier in the thread. (Paul was one of the brands that I was thinking about.) Deda still makes a few silver alloy components, and plenty of smaller boutique companies in the US make headsets, hubs, and bottom brackets in silver and other colors. Oh, you can get a White Industries crankset in silver...probably a couple other companies off them, too.

Originally Posted by Koyote
Silver components (stems, handlebars, seatposts, cranksets, spokes, hubs) are out there...OP just needs to look.
But as you've noted, many posters would rather show off their bikes than actually answer the poster.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-19-23, 08:55 AM
Steel Charlie

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 275 Posts
Is anyone growing tired of the abundance of bike’s coming with carbon component
everything and if not carbon, components that are just black on black
Boring on boring. The invisible black bicycle with the invisible black components. Yawn !

It seems like there are more and more un-black bicycles in the peloton so maybe that will have some influence.
Old 01-19-23, 10:31 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Some of this is generational and some of it is price point. Carbon is black and more expensive, aluminum is silver and less expensive, and riders living through that change make that association. Just like they did before with skinny tubing and chrome vs fat tubes and ano components

I just bought a pink Canfield. I think it would look great with a lot of blue ano but most of the stuff I've bought for it is black.

You can get most cockpit components in polish. Harder for controls and no one has yet made a silver polish dropper post that I've seen

Black is definitely the default color for suspension forks. Ten-fifteen years ago when more frames were still alloy, white was popular. On a previous bike I had a Y2K-vintage Rockshox Duke that was a gorgeous blue but I can't remember now if it was painted or anodized.

Special editions show up in color. Check out this Mastodon

https://hayesbicycle.com/collections...-ltd-snow-camo

Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 01-19-23 at 10:40 AM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 01-19-23, 10:33 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 352 Posts
Is anyone growing tired of the abundance of bike’s coming with carbon component.
Yeah, and I'm also growing tired of the abundance of apostrophes. Just saying.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 01-19-23, 10:46 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Yeah, and I'm also growing tired of the abundance of apostrophes. Just saying.
Well if we're just getting pedantic now, one inappropriate apostrophe hardly qualifies as an abundance.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 01-19-23, 11:01 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3933 Post(s)
Liked 7,255 Times in 2,935 Posts
Is anyone growing tired of the abundance of bikes coming with carbon component
everything ...
Did anyone grow tired of the abundance of bikes with silver components before carbon became common?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-19-23, 11:27 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Did anyone grow tired of the abundance of bikes with silver components before carbon became common?
yeah, bought a mtn bike with black fork, headset, chainrings, stem, bar, levers and seatpost back in '91.
Old 01-19-23, 12:50 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 890 Times in 438 Posts
IMO, four pictures of silver bikes contributed far, far more to the thread than the tiresome, argumentative, and insulting post below.

Maybe come back when you're feeling better? Soon, hopefully!

I am aware you were responding to me.

OP asked a question.
Wildwood didnt answer the question or even address the point the OP is presumably trying to make, and instead posted pictures of bikes with silver components that are 30-40 years old.
I pointed out that Wildwood didnt answer the question and didnt further the discussion.
You came in and responded to me that wildwood's point in posting those pictures is that silver is better than black.

Ok cool, but that was never in question here. That wasnt the OP's question and it hadnt become a secondary question. I point this out and you now tell me you were responding to me.

Seriously, are you this bad at conversation in person too? Do you manage to argue with this high a % of people in person?
Old 01-19-23, 01:13 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by Fredo76
IMO, four pictures of silver bikes contributed far, far more to the thread than the tiresome, argumentative, and insulting post below.

Maybe come back when you're feeling better? Soon, hopefully!
Its a reply to smd- nothing more than what was posted is deserved.

My post you quoted wasnt intended to move the thread forward, it was intended to point out to smd that once again, he was missing the point and creating an argument where there neednt be one.
The post where I move the thread forward and directly respond to to the OP had already taken place. Perhaps you should encourage wildwood or smd to actually reply to the OP's question instead of taking the thread as an opportunity to divert focus away from the OP's question and onto how old bikes look better with silver components.

Nobody is arguing that old bikes with silver components look bad.
And I love old bikes- I have probably 8 frames in various stages of build that are all 35-45 years old. But I didnt post pictures of all my old silver components because that isnt the point of the thread.
Old 01-19-23, 04:58 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

When threads request things that do not (or not commonly) exist = think broadly, as it's a big cycling universe.

Does one need 11/12 cogs? Or, think broadly; will the range of 9 be adequate? In silver Campa, some might say, "nearly Paradise."

Veloce/Racing T 9sp (triple)

edit for the Record: I've been lovin the feel of carbon levers + carbon bikes for ~2 decades. "Just match it, baby'

......and then....there are some terrible components that can't decide if they are silver or black?...!

....hehehe...somebody pull my finger to make me stop, I got more of 'em, maybe....

Last edited by Wildwood; 01-19-23 at 05:54 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 01-20-23, 06:46 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 185 Posts
I’m thinking about a satin black wrap for the downtube, when the proper stem and washers come in the cockpit will be right but what to do about the cassette and chain?

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Likes For Shadco:
Old 01-20-23, 08:21 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I’m all for CF stuff when I can afford it, and what I want is available in CF. For my uses in road/gravel and MTB, there is really no practical downside for me.

But yeah, black everything has gotten really old. Paint the CF and steel stuff more interesting colors, and I really wish silver was more common for Al components.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 01-20-23, 11:35 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Wildwood
When threads request things that do not (or not commonly) exist = think broadly, as it's a big cycling universe.

Does one need 11/12 cogs? Or, think broadly; will the range of 9 be adequate? In silver Campa, some might say, "nearly Paradise."

Veloce/Racing T 9sp (triple)

edit for the Record: I've been lovin the feel of carbon levers + carbon bikes for ~2 decades. "Just match it, baby'

......and then....there are some terrible components that can't decide if they are silver or black?...!

....hehehe...somebody pull my finger to make me stop, I got more of 'em, maybe....
All this continues to miss the point, as I understand it. And actually, it highlights the issue instead of solving it.

The OP recognizes silver components exist- both old and new. You continually posting examples doesnt actually address anything.
And saying 'well just use lesser tech(9sp)' doesnt really address the question or issue either.

The OP cited GRX silver, so they are talking about modern components which are disc specific and upper tier. You showing rim brake bikes with 9sp is great if this were Kindergarten show and tell, but its a discussion between adults.

Here is the first question, though the OP doesnt end with a ?...
Is anyone growing tired of the abundance of bikes coming with carbon component
everything and if not carbon, components that are just black on black.
Here is the second question, though the OP doesnt end with a ?...
​​​​​​​I thought Shimano was on a great path releasing a limited edition polished GRX group set back in the day but that may have been the last pretty set...Do you think bikes will ever come back to polished components or are we stuck in this dark black/gray carbon era.
So, have you grown tired of the abundance of bikes coming with carbon and/or black components?
And do you think bikes will ever come back to polished components? <--knowing this clearly means modern mid-upper drivetrains and cockpits, so not old 9sp.

​​​​​​​
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-20-23, 12:08 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

One can't please all of the people any of the time. Full stop.

Speed thrills, regardless of the colors served or the technologies employed. Think broadly, build smartly (or not) and just match it baby!

I luv me some variety

just take it with pasta, made in Italy - for guys like me.

...and Roll On, any way you please. Yes, even with a bunch of hidden batteries.

It IS a big cycling universe.
Experience it bigly.
(and without prejudice for black or silver)

Clear your handlebars and your mind will follow, , minutiae melts.

Last edited by Wildwood; 01-20-23 at 12:17 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 01-20-23, 12:29 PM
Yelbom15

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 46 Posts
Shadco I would look up the company RideWrap. They offer clear matte & gloss finishes so you can stick with the original color being seen. I do appreciate a nice Look frame.

And Campagnolo drivetrain is definitely limited especially with the free hub body being campy only. I would go ahead with a black chain. KMC DLC11 specifically will provide a nice contrast with the rear cassette!

And just so we’re all aware. I feel like a forum is a place for everyone likeminded to share their opinions. I do not mind anyone pitching in pictures and thoughts on their bikes, components and so forth even if it strays off the question. This forum is my escape from the already serious world that surrounds us.

Quick photo opportunity. The frame color deserves some silver. I have Ritchey classic components coming in soon.

Last edited by Yelbom15; 01-20-23 at 12:37 PM.
Likes For Yelbom15:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.