Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

My luck can't be that bad, can it? Can it???

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

My luck can't be that bad, can it? Can it???

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-23, 02:24 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
Thanks for the cotton swab tip! I'll have to remember that.
you can just use your glove too in a pinch. one less thing to pack and think about.
Old 01-20-23, 02:25 PM
spelger

Originally Posted by Slasharoo
I also carry a mini bic lighter in my pack. When I spread the glue out, I light it up for a few seconds before I put the patch on. Seals great.
what does that do?
Old 01-20-23, 02:36 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
you can just use your glove too in a pinch. one less thing to pack and think about.
As a rule, I start with gloved fingers in case it's a gross puncture. No need to get tetanus if I can avoid it. If I don't snag a gloved finger, I'll try running bare fingers lightly through the tube. But adding a cotton ball to my tool kit isn't in any way impractical.
Old 01-20-23, 02:58 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Where does it say anywhere that they are not designed to be permanent? Do you have some facts to back this statement up or is that just your opinion?

Check the reviews here. Their experience mimics mine.

https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/gui...t-reviews-7701

Got this response by Park Tool to a negative review on their website:

"Thanks for your review! We suggest always replacing damaged tubes/tires as soon as possible to prevent accident or injury while riding. Our patches can last a long time, but there are many variables that can affect the performance of the patch. We recommend not testing the patch by inflating tube while outside of mounted tire. This may stretch tube body and weaken patch bond."

Basically, it says they can a last a long time when they last a long time, but sometimes they don't.

Seems totally unsurprising that some people find it works better for them than others.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-20-23, 03:27 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
You know what I meant. The patch loosened enough to allow all of the air pressure to rush out and when I removed the tube from the tire the patch was loose.

Obviously it didn't come out and go flying across the landscape.
I didn't know what you meant and sounds like user error.
Old 01-20-23, 03:32 PM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
But adding a cotton ball to my tool kit isn't in any way impractical.
You really need to get the blue cotton balls from Park Tool.
Likes For John Valuk:
Old 01-20-23, 03:49 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,031 Times in 4,471 Posts
I didn't know what you meant and sounds like user error.
Yes, the concept of peeling the backing off of a patch and sticking it on an inner tube is too deep for me.
Likes For big john:
Old 01-20-23, 03:59 PM
spelger

As a rule, I start with gloved fingers in case it's a gross puncture. No need to get tetanus if I can avoid it. If I don't snag a gloved finger, I'll try running bare fingers lightly through the tube. But adding a cotton ball to my tool kit isn't in any way impractical.
just consider the added weight and how much room that cotton ball takes takes up on your seat bag. it matters to some.
Old 01-20-23, 04:19 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10421 Post(s)
Liked 11,882 Times in 6,088 Posts
i've used these and they do work until they don't. after about a year or so they invariably leak. i've had to pull them off and replace with a correct vulcanizing patch, done right those don't seem to fail. i still keep them in my saddle bag along with a spare tube and a real patch kit. you never know how many goat heads will be thrown at you.
Yeah, but that invites a "No True Scotsman" response if they DO fail.

E.g. I was running a patched tube in the back tire on a bike I was using in a wheel-on trainer. I was riding a race on Zwift, my power numbers got all weird and then went away completely. The tire had gone flat - which I didn't expect INDOORS! When I submerged the inflated tube to find the leak, it turned out to be leaking at the patch. This tube had lasted miles on the real road and hours on the fake one, so I think I can say it was "done right". I can tell you, it made me feel a lot less confident about patching and reusing punctured tubes. So now I have a bunch of tubes I COULD patch, but haven't. And I'm down to my last 2 new ones.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-21-23, 12:12 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
I've debated this on this forum once already and don't really care to debate it again.
Pretty sure I was involved one of those times. You said something about burnishing it properly. Since I had just switched to tubeless at the time, I never got the chance to test it out until recently (temporarily using a tubed tire while waiting for a warranty replacement tire to arrive) but I will probably remove the tube before it has a chance to prove its longevity.
Old 01-21-23, 12:20 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
yeah I carry a pump & at least 2 cartridges. usually 1 extra tube + patches

on longer rides, I carry another tube & 2 more cartridges

I have 3 bikes all w/ diff. size tires/tubes. so I have to remember to move the pump to the bike of the day & change the tube(s) in my trunk

luck = when preparation meets opportunity
I have full under-saddle bags and mini-pumps on all my and my wife's bikes. Tube, mini patch kit, CO2, $20 bill*, quick link, multi tool. I'm way to impulsive and forgetful to move stuff from one bike to the other. The only thing I have to move is my Garmin (for which I have a mount on each bike... my wife has inexpensive regular computers dedicated to each of her two bikes), and that's not a critical piece of equipment so if I forget it, I don't worry about it and use strava on the phone. I use inexpensive mini pumps so it's not a huge investment. Are they lifetime, fine pieces of equipment? No, but the very, very few times (approaching zero) I ever need to use them because of CO2, they do the job.

People have been impressed by the $20 bill. Why you ask? Well, it's pretty common to carry a bill to use as a tire boot. So why not use a $20 (or $10, whatever). A $20 also serves as emergency snack or drink money!

Last edited by Camilo; 01-21-23 at 12:27 AM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 01-21-23, 12:24 AM
Camilo

Originally Posted by John Valuk
You really need to get the blue cotton balls from Park Tool.
CB-1 your mean?
Likes For Camilo:
Old 01-21-23, 12:25 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
what does that do?
I was shown that trick as a way to dry the glue out quickly so you don't have to wait a few minutes before applying the patch.

vegasjen id throw away the tire you probably have something stuck in it that you can't find. It might give you grief later if you don't.
Old 01-21-23, 06:51 AM
John Valuk

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
CB-1 your mean?
I was thinking the same thing, but then I checked, and saw that Park had already used some "CB-" part numbers for ChainBrite!

That's one of the downsides of trying to use "significant" part numbers, i.e., part numbers that are not arbitrary, but also try to carry some information about the part.
Likes For John Valuk:
Old 01-21-23, 12:22 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,694 Times in 2,516 Posts
I got a slow leak on one of my bikes and stopped to fix it when it got too low. I ran my fingers around inside the tire and couldn't find anything. I got tired of looking for it, so I replaced the tube and got to the overnight stop. Then I finished the ride the next day. I have another set of wheels for that bike for gravel, and I rode those for the rest of the season. The next time I used the road wheels, it was really easy to find the piece of wire that caused the slow leak. I think wire will move in and out of a tire so it's hidden.
Old 01-21-23, 02:57 PM
Camilo

Originally Posted by John Valuk
I was thinking the same thing, but then I checked, and saw that Park had already used some "CB-" part numbers for ChainBrite!

That's one of the downsides of trying to use "significant" part numbers, i.e., part numbers that are not arbitrary, but also try to carry some information about the part.
I suspected that too, but was too lazy to do even a web search. It would have to be something like PF-1 (puncture finder)? But that might be confusing with the PFP line (Park Floor Pump). So maybe PPF (Park Puncture Finder).
Old 01-21-23, 08:21 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
I suspected that too, but was too lazy to do even a web search. It would have to be something like PF-1 (puncture finder)? But that might be confusing with the PFP line (Park Floor Pump). So maybe PPF (Park Puncture Finder).
CS-01 [cotton swab]
Old 01-21-23, 08:33 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
I was shown that trick as a way to dry the glue out quickly so you don't have to wait a few minutes before applying the patch.

vegasjen id throw away the tire you probably have something stuck in it that you can't find. It might give you grief later if you don't.
I have several tubes I've patched and proven good in the garage. I will likely try it one more time with one of those. If it holds, then I'll keep it, still a lot of tread life left. If not, I'll take your advice and toss it. Of course, I need to determine where the leaks are in the two tubes from that ride. Certainly if they're in the same place on the tube, that gives me a good place to start investigating.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 01-21-23, 08:49 PM
big john

I have several tubes I've patched and proven good in the garage. I will likely try it one more time with one of those. If it holds, then I'll keep it, still a lot of tread life left. If not, I'll take your advice and toss it. Of course, I need to determine where the leaks are in the two tubes from that ride. Certainly if they're in the same place on the tube, that gives me a good place to start investigating.
I've taken the tire off the rim and turned it inside out to look for wires/thorns. Probably needs to be a folding tire though.
The little wires from steel radial car tires are insidious.
Old 01-21-23, 09:12 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,874 Times in 1,078 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I've taken the tire off the rim and turned it inside out to look for wires/thorns. Probably needs to be a folding tire though.
The little wires from steel radial car tires are insidious.
those wires got me back in the day ... painful !
Old 01-21-23, 09:19 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I ...One was supposed to be a quick spin around the neighborhood to try out a new saddle for position. Just 2 miles. Who needs a pump and a spare tube for a 2 mile ride?
I have been there. Back a few years, I was getting flats a lot, so I got fed up with it and changed my tires. I am not a quarter mile down the road and I get a flat through a side wall from a little sliver of a 2x4 that I did not see. I was less than pleased. I had a whole 2 mins on this tire and it was ruined.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 01-21-23, 09:23 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Wait until a wire bead tire decides to poke its' metal wire inward. Defective tires get me more when everything is new, compared to road debris.
I used to carry a old section of panty hose to wipe the tire and rim with to make sure there was nothing there that I was not seeing. Small little slivers of wire nicked 2 tubes for me once.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 01-21-23 at 09:37 PM.
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 01-21-23, 09:46 PM
big john

Originally Posted by t2p
those wires got me back in the day ... painful !
Lacerated a finger on a piece of glass while feeling around in a tire once. Today a friend got a flat and I was checking it and there was a huge staple poking through. Didn't stick me, though. I've learned the soft touch.
Old 01-23-23, 08:01 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
As a rule, I start with gloved fingers in case it's a gross puncture. No need to get tetanus if I can avoid it.
They make a shot for that. My daughter made me get a DTP before I could go visit my new grandson (although she was worried about pertussis, I have a handy way to remember when I got my latest tetanus booster!).
Old 01-25-23, 10:53 AM
ClydeClydeson

Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
During the first mutli-day tour I did I had multiple flats over the first few days. First one - towards the end of day one - was a mystery. The second one was on day 4, racing down a dark road to get to our stop for the night when I went through a section of torn up asphalt too fast and got a pinch flat on the rear including some damage to the tire casing, and a bit of damage to the front tire casing but no flat.
I left the front as it was, patched the rear tube and put a Park Tool 'boot' on the damaged tire casing.
Around lunch time the next day I got a second flat on the rear - wrinkles in the tire boot had chafed a new hole in the tube, but the patch stayed intact.

I lost count but I think I got around ten flats over a 3 week tour. I repaired most with patches, and, happily but meaninglessly, none of the patches failed and caused another flat - they were all due to some other debris picked up.

Super fun fact - the last flat I got was about 500 meters after I bought and installed a new rear tire - I ran over a piece of metal down the road from the bike shop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.