Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2023.1

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2023.1

Old 01-23-23, 04:22 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Oh I realize - I'm counting the years until Jerruh has to face the fact that he's worse than random on winning SBs. He's already there for appearances.

I live in TX too, and every year everyone says "this is the year". Yes, more than most fan-bases. Especially more than most without any recent actual success. Every year is the year, and soooo much talking in August.
Well, we know that this year wasn't, but next year sure will be!
Old 01-23-23, 04:24 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,991 Times in 4,452 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
I just was notified by my Neurosurgeon's office that my insurance company will not approve fusion surgery. They are appealing it with a 3rd party mediator. I will find out within 3 days.

They say my condition doesn't call for fusion. Not sure what they are willing to approve or feel is an appropriate measure to alleviate my problem. I'm stunned. Perhaps disc replacement is what the insurance company feels is appropriate.
Sorry about the roller coaster ride you've been on.
Old 01-23-23, 04:31 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Well, we know that this year wasn't, but next year sure will be!
Yep. I may queue up Total Access for after dinner instead of GMFB literally just to get to drink Irvin's tears. And see if he literally goes one day before "well next year".
Old 01-23-23, 04:37 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,048 Times in 3,806 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Thanks for buttering me up for success.

Nit in it to win it. Somebody has to finish last. I think the field will consist of mostly the guys I already ride with. We shall see.
Maybe your area is different than mine. Around here, the M35+ is mostly guys who have/had a 1 or a 2 on their license, sprinkled with some ex-pros. When I was a racer-boy, and competing at the pointy end of Cat 3 races, masters races were a step harder/faster. At the time, I was a contender to win (and did win) in Cat 3. M30+. I finished top 10...once. I'm not trying to scare you off from doing it. If you ride with guys who race in that category, and feel like you are at a similar level, definitely go for it.
Old 01-23-23, 04:43 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,602 Times in 3,466 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Yeah but the insurance companies price medical care/surgery and drugs/medicines separately. It's ******g ******** but that's our lovely dysfunctional healthcare system.

edit: you can probably guess but substitute "very stupid" for filtered words
Assinine? You can say assinine.
Old 01-23-23, 04:52 PM
Mojo31
-------

You can say asssolid, but can you say *******?
Old 01-23-23, 04:53 PM
Mojo31
-------

You can say asssolid, but can you say *******?
Think assdonut where the ***** are above.
Old 01-23-23, 04:56 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
I just was notified by my Neurosurgeon's office that my insurance company will not approve fusion surgery. They are appealing it with a 3rd party mediator. I will find out within 3 days.

They say my condition doesn't call for fusion. Not sure what they are willing to approve or feel is an appropriate measure to alleviate my problem. I'm stunned. Perhaps disc replacement is what the insurance company feels is appropriate.
I suspect it's because they want a report of a disc out of place and compressing a specific nerve root(s) and from what I remember that wasn't present. If I'm correct, I doubt they're in favor of replacement either.

Originally Posted by big john
Sorry about the roller coaster ride you've been on.
​​​​​​​This too!
Old 01-23-23, 04:56 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10234 Post(s)
Liked 5,178 Times in 2,222 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Maybe your area is different than mine. Around here, the M35+ is mostly guys who have/had a 1 or a 2 on their license, sprinkled with some ex-pros. When I was a racer-boy, and competing at the pointy end of Cat 3 races, masters races were a step harder/faster. At the time, I was a contender to win (and did win) in Cat 3. M30+. I finished top 10...once. I'm not trying to scare you off from doing it. If you ride with guys who race in that category, and feel like you are at a similar level, definitely go for it.

Last year there were like maybe 12 guys in the field.

Kelly benefits (the best of the best on the east coast), single rider took off from the group and lapped them. The rest of the riders stayed together, and again it was mostly guys I ride with. I’m doing soley for the experience, If I get dropped i’ll pull out and if I’m too spent after my fist race than i’ll sideline it.

Wife doesn’t know this is an all day event for me.
Old 01-23-23, 05:01 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,602 Times in 3,466 Posts
Yep. I may queue up Total Access for after dinner instead of GMFB literally just to get to drink Irvin's tears. And see if he literally goes one day before "well next year".
Dak is just not going to get it done for us. He’s too inconsistent to spearhead America’s team and all the pressure that comes with it. He should accept a trade to some other contender team where he can flourish, and let us move on to look for another Staubach or Aikman, somebody who can get it done.

Oh and dump Zeke too, he’s shot.
Old 01-23-23, 05:02 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Kelly benefits (the best of the best on the east coast), single rider took off from the group and lapped them. The rest of the riders stayed together, and again it was mostly guys I ride with. I’m doing soley for the experience, If I get dropped i’ll pull out and if I’m too spent after my fist race than i’ll sideline it.
That sounds like a very different experience than what I remember. Have fun!

Good luck with that - LOL.

I watched the full video (nearly 6 hours - I did speed up through some sections) of the 70+mile gravel event I'm doing in April, and it's clear that I'm going to be significantly unprepared. My only goal is to finish. It's going to be a very long day.
Old 01-23-23, 05:08 PM
bampilot06

That sounds like a very different experience than what I remember. Have fun!

Good luck with that - LOL.

I watched the full video (nearly 6 hours - I did speed up through some sections) of the 70+mile gravel event I'm doing in April, and it's clear that I'm going to be significantly unprepared. My only goal is to finish. It's going to be a very long day.

Im actually more concerned about the road race in two weeks. It’s a 31 miles, 3 laps of a 10 mile loop. It has steep descent followed immediately by a very very steep initial climb, that mellows out only a little. It is prolly only about a .5 mile long. The issue is the accordian affect of the hill. On the first lap if you are not in the front, you are screwed. Traffic will be coming down the hill while you are climbing it with 75 riders in the field. So you are restricted to one lane. Really bad crashes last year.

Team leader told me to do cat 3/4 instead of novice because of the amount of crashes.

Im not to concerned about getting dropped, if a group breaks off so be it. I am super concerned about this hill on the first lap. My group ride on Tuesdays we do this hill and I always do my best to make it to the front. I have been stuck in the back and it’s terrible. You have no where to go and essentially come to a dead stop. This section has been keeping me up since I decided to do this race.
Old 01-23-23, 05:17 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Im actually more concerned about the road race in two weeks. It’s a 31 miles, 3 laps of a 10 mile loop. It has steep descent followed immediately by a very very steep initial climb, that mellows out only a little. It is prolly only about a .5 mile long. The issue is the accordian affect of the hill. On the first lap if you are not in the front, you are screwed. Traffic will be coming down the hill while you are climbing it with 75 riders in the field. So you are restricted to one lane. Really bad crashes last year.

Team leader told me to do cat 3/4 instead of novice because of the amount of crashes.

Im not to concerned about getting dropped, if a group breaks off so be it. I am super concerned about this hill on the first lap. My group ride on Tuesdays we do this hill and I always do my best to make it to the front. I have been stuck in the back and it’s terrible. You have no where to go and essentially come to a dead stop. This section has been keeping me up since I decided to do this race.
Of course, everyone will be trying to get to the hill first, so the pace will be ballistic, and you'll be burning matches before you even start going uphill. Fun fun! Knowing what to expect from your own experience will be helpful.
Old 01-23-23, 05:20 PM
bampilot06

Of course, everyone will be trying to get to the hill first, so the pace will be ballistic, and you'll be burning matches before you even start going uphill. Fun fun! Knowing what to expect from your own experience will be helpful.

Right, I’m at the point now where if the pace is too extreme in the beginning than I might just drop to the back back, so I have over sight of the hill and can see if cars are coming. I’ll sling shot around the group. I can get up the hill pretty quick. Still can’t beat frank though.
Old 01-23-23, 05:26 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by BillyD
Dak is just not going to get it done for us. He’s too inconsistent to spearhead America’s team and all the pressure that comes with it. He should accept a trade to some other contender team where he can flourish, and let us move on to look for another Staubach or Aikman, somebody who can get it done.

Oh and dump Zeke too, he’s shot.
I'd love Dak on the Giants. Or the Jets. He's always going to be limited though; he's basically Cousins. All of his plusses are great... if it's 2005. He's not athletic enough for the current game, and it would be more evident if he (and Kirk) were in the AFC, but right now the NFC camouflages mediocre quarterbacks. AG is sad and worried about whether Allen and the Bills can will a trophy, and I had to point out that going through Mahomes, Burrow, and then the younger stars is just always going to make it hard.

Corkle can at most be one of those guys. Same for Pickett. Burrow is the only cerebral pocket passer who seems able to succeed, and I really wish I knew what he's doing.

Mind you, I really hope Jerruh re-ups on Zeke. I wouldn't mind in the slightest if Dak became a commentator.

Oh and this may be the second time his lack of cerebral management cost them a playoff loss under McCarthy, who I think was clueless about how much Rogers did for that.
Old 01-23-23, 05:27 PM
bampilot06

Eric, what size cranks are o ln your stork?
Old 01-23-23, 05:28 PM
Mojo31
-------

Strap Lilly in and go! Wife will appreciate the day off. Just take snacks.

Likes For Mojo31:
Old 01-23-23, 05:28 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Eric, what size cranks are o ln your stork?
172.5 - same on all my road bikes and gravel bike. 175 on MTBs.
Old 01-23-23, 05:29 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,991 Times in 4,452 Posts
Ordering brake pads today. No problem getting rim brake pads but it seems Shimano has discontinued the disc pads I use, wtf? They're bottom of the barrel OEM brakes but they work fine in most situations. I found some on flea-bay and there are aftermarket pads available but I was surprised that the Big S has abandoned me.

I could open a can of worms in the latest disc vs rim brake thread.
Likes For big john:
Old 01-23-23, 05:30 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Really bad crashes last year.

Man, stay safe out there - reading that fired off my PTSD.
Old 01-23-23, 05:30 PM
bampilot06

Strap Lilly in and go! Wife will appreciate the day off. Just take snacks.

Amelia is too big, and none of my bikes will support that.
Old 01-23-23, 05:48 PM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
Oh I realize - I'm counting the years until Jerruh has to face the fact that he's worse than random on winning SBs. He's already there for appearances.

I live in TX too, and every year everyone says "this is the year". Yes, more than most fan-bases. Especially more than most without any recent actual success. Every year is the year, and soooo much talking in August.
We have lots of Mets fans in our orbit. We hear about “this year being the year” more times than we care for. If fact, the 2023 edition should be starting shortly.
Old 01-23-23, 05:52 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by thin_concrete
We have lots of Mets fans in our orbit. We hear about “this year being the year” more times than we care for. If fact, the 2023 edition should be starting shortly.
In Albany there was a Mets license plate I saw [OUR YR].

Yeah they're bad. Dated one...
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 01-23-23, 05:56 PM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
In Albany there was a Mets license plate I saw [OUR YR].

Yeah they're bad. Dated one...
I can only imagine how many times that poor car was keyed every summer.
Old 01-23-23, 06:03 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,646 Times in 4,054 Posts
Originally Posted by thin_concrete
Only one month 'til spring training! Mariners v Pads Feb 24th. Looks like they're keeping the super high ticket prices again this year - $30 for lawn seats

I'll just have to hope for some desperate one hour before the game ticket blowouts, otherwise I'll just wait to see D-backs regular season Tuesday games for $10.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.