Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2023.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2023.1

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-23, 04:26 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,682 Times in 4,077 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
First time I've been pulled over. I didn't say much at all to him. Initially I had a hard time understanding what he was saying. He asked if I was coming home from work. I said I was coming home from band practice, and said where it was.

I said thank you when he told me he was giving me a warning. That's basically it.
You might wanna withhold this info next time. It's well known that musicians are all on drugs, you're gonna get your car searched if you're not careful
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 01-25-23, 04:27 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
You might wanna withhold this info next time. It's well known that musicians are all on drugs, you're gonna get your car searched if you're not careful
And people from Colorado, apparently.
Old 01-25-23, 04:29 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
First time I've been pulled over. I didn't say much at all to him. Initially I had a hard time understanding what he was saying. He asked if I was coming home from work. I said I was coming home from band practice, and said where it was.

I said thank you when he told me he was giving me a warning. That's basically it.
I got pulled over a number of times when I was drinking but I never got arrested. I was so drunk I was all over the road and I called them names and was a jerk to them. They were going to take me to jail but when they found out my girlfriend couldn't drive they told me to lock the truck and walk home. So lucky.
Other times I was able to pass the field sobriety test. One cop said " I don't know how you did it, you must have good concentration".

I've had 3 tickets, one in 1971, one in 1975 when I was driving a tow truck, and the last one in 2005 for a U turn. 2 cops on bicycles watched me do it, there wasn't another car anywhere in the area.

Last edited by big john; 01-25-23 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-25-23, 04:37 PM
big john

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I got pulled over one night and had quite a few beers in my belly and a bag of the devil's lettuce in my pocket. I thought I was going to jail for sure. Turned out they were looking for a suspect and I didn't fit the description so they told me to go away. I almost said "Don't you want me to take the test?"
Old 01-25-23, 04:53 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,896 Times in 6,094 Posts
I've gotten pulled over, let me see.... 4 times in almost 50 years of driving. 3 for speeding - the last cut me some slack when I said I was heading to pick up my wife for an OB appointment (it was true!). The other one was a stop sign on Cornell Campus which was in a really weird place. I only saw it AS I WAS PASSING IT, and I slowed down to a crawl before rolling again, and the cop didn't ticket me because he could see that I'd done that.

EDIT: I should point out that I almost never drive the speed limit and almost never come to a complete stop for 4 ways unless I have to. Even in the Dodge, cops aren't interested in me.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-25-23, 05:03 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28608 Post(s)
Liked 1,856 Times in 1,318 Posts
. . . as I was saying. #LawAbidingCitizen
Old 01-25-23, 05:07 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Had a very rare Puerto Rico license plate sighting on my walk/jog activity.

The last four or five times I've walked from the office I've seen a guy playing a guitar in a storage shed. Granted, they've all roughly been at the same time of day, but it does make one wonder how much time he spends there?

Along the MUP there was two bikes leaning against a tree. No one anywhere nearby. Maybe the police should patrol there more instead of setting up stop sign traps?
Old 01-25-23, 05:09 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

datlas do you offer this service?

Old 01-25-23, 05:11 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I got pulled over a number of times when I was drinking but I never got arrested. I was so drunk I was all over the road and I called them names and was a jerk to them. They were going to take me to jail but when they found out my girlfriend couldn't drive they told me to lock the truck and walk home. So lucky.
Other times I was able to pass the field sobriety test. One cop said " I don't know how you did it, you must have good concentration".

I've had 3 tickets, one in 1971, one in 1975 when I was driving a tow truck, and the last one in 2005 for a U turn. 2 cops on bicycles watched me do it, there wasn't another car anywhere in the area.
When the kids started driving, I bought a breathalyzer, part as deterrent and for proof if needed. I did not want the kids drinking and driving due to the devastating consequences it could have on their futures. Fortunately, I never had to use it.

But, one evening my wife and I were discussing how much you would have to drink to blow the limit, so we started drinking with the goal of seeing what we would blow when we got to the point of being, in our opinion, totally obliterated. We ended up having cocktails followed by two bottles of wine over a short period of time, and felt like we were in absolutely no condition to drive and would not drive if in that condition. Ended up we only blew about half the legal limit. We were shocked by how bad we would have to be to get a DUI.
Old 01-25-23, 05:11 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts

I do live in the addiction forum for a reason. Why are you here?
Old 01-25-23, 05:12 PM
bampilot06

Why does this intersection even need a four-way stop? Discuss.

So you can get a ticket.
Old 01-25-23, 05:13 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,682 Times in 4,077 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
When the kids started driving, I bought a breathalyzer, part as deterrent and for proof if needed. I did not want the kids drinking and driving due to the devastating consequences it could have on their futures. Fortunately, I never had to use it.

But, one evening my wife and I were discussing how much you would have to drink to blow the limit, so we started drinking with the goal of seeing what we would blow when we got to the point of being, in our opinion, totally obliterated. We ended up having cocktails followed by two bottles of wine over a short period of time, and felt like we were in absolutely no condition to drive and would not drive if in that condition. Ended up we only blew about half the legal limit. We were shocked by how bad we would have to be to get a DUI.
There was a bar in Seattle that had one in the early aughts. Unfortunately it didn't have a high score screen like a proper video game
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 01-25-23, 05:14 PM
bampilot06

In my experience, having been pulled over a number of times, it always helps to tell the cop that you pay his salary and he should be directing his efforts to alleviate the real menaces to society instead of you.

How does that work for you?
Old 01-25-23, 05:15 PM
big john

Wow.
Old 01-25-23, 05:17 PM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by genejockey
I've gotten pulled over, let me see.... 4 times in almost 50 years of driving. 3 for speeding - the last cut me some slack when I said I was heading to pick up my wife for an OB appointment (it was true!). The other one was a stop sign on Cornell Campus which was in a really weird place. I only saw it AS I WAS PASSING IT, and I slowed down to a crawl before rolling again, and the cop didn't ticket me because he could see that I'd done that.

EDIT: I should point out that I almost never drive the speed limit and almost never come to a complete stop for 4 ways unless I have to. Even in the Dodge, cops aren't interested in me.

Thats because Doug’s don’t do drugs. It’s a known Fact of life.
Old 01-25-23, 05:18 PM
bampilot06

you need to drink more often.
Old 01-25-23, 05:21 PM
big john

Originally Posted by bampilot06
How does that work for you?
Old 01-25-23, 05:22 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3359 Post(s)
Liked 3,638 Times in 1,244 Posts
Only time I have received a moving violation was on my bicycle.

Granted I did blow through a stop sign with absolutely zero intentions of slowing down, but in my defense it was a four way stop with very clear sight lines in all directions and no other traffic.
Old 01-25-23, 05:23 PM
bampilot06

I’ve crashed twice, Prolly have gotten 5 speeding tickets.

One ticket for not wearing a seat belt. That was bull ****. He pulled me over becuase records showed I didn’t have insurance. (I did, my company dropped the ball). I took my belt off to get my wallet out and I know he watched me do it. Gave me a ticket for no insurance or seat belt.

When I moved to bull head I drove from VA to Arizona. First day I get pulled over outside of Charlottesville. Boom, speeding ticket. Cop didn’t like my excuse that I didn’t know how to drive in the mountains. I was only doing 14 over.

6 days later, I’m coming down Flagstaff doing 3 digits and I see a flash of white in the median. I immediately pull over. I came to a stop before he had his lights on. Good ole boy cop and he let me go with a warning.

Moral of the story. West coast cops are nicer than east coast cops. Scientific evidence.
Old 01-25-23, 05:24 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
you need to drink more often.
Had four Old Fashioneds at dinner and the rodeo last night. That's enough for now.
Old 01-25-23, 05:26 PM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by big john

There was that woman on Rte 58 in Va which has notorious sections of road where you do not go one mile over.

She facebook lived the pulling over and was the most obnoxious person I have ever seen. Tried to make it about everything under the sun other than the fact she was speeding. Then tried to play a sad pathetic victim. It’s insane how much mental health goes unchecked in this world. She refused to sign the ticket. I wish I could remember how it ended.
Old 01-25-23, 05:27 PM
bampilot06

Had four Old Fashioneds at dinner and the rodeo last night. That's enough for now.

Thats 4 more than me.
Old 01-25-23, 05:28 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,896 Times in 6,094 Posts
Why does this intersection even need a four-way stop? Discuss.

What I always found to be just a whole lot of fun was when the Not-Yet-Mrs. GJ lived in the Outer Sunset in SF, where there were a number of intersections with NO stop signs at all, on either of the streets.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-25-23, 05:28 PM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by abshipp
Only time I have received a moving violation was on my bicycle.

Granted I did blow through a stop sign with absolutely zero intentions of slowing down, but in my defense it was a four way stop with very clear sight lines in all directions and no other traffic.

You are out of control.
Old 01-25-23, 05:29 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Flagstaff

coast

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.