Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2023.1

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2023.1

Old 01-26-23, 05:08 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9529 Post(s)
Liked 6,269 Times in 3,457 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
It has occurred to me recently that finding a house/neighborhood to retire in will require a fair bit of needle-threading to keep both of us happy. On the one hand, Mrs. GeneJockey wants a very walkable place, with everything readily at hand. On the other, I want to be able to ride from home without having to drive anywhere, on nice back roads with lots of nice trees and greenery (out here, during outdoor riding season, we have nice trees and brownery). Her preferences would pull us farther into the city, whereas mine would pull us farther out. I'm hoping that what we have here - the combination of walkability with rideability - is not unique to here.
There is an area sort of like that not far from us. It's a small town about an hour south of the DFW metroplex, and has a nice historic area close to downtown that results in a walkable area. However, what you get in that walkable area may not be what you want. For example, the shopping aspect gives you small town shopping and no access to a lot of things. To find nice shopping, you'd have to drive to Dallas or Fort Worth. In other words, you will get a small town life without access to large town amenities such as those in your area.

I'm not suggestion that you move to Texas. I'm just pointing to some of the give and take that would be required to find your utopia.
Old 01-26-23, 05:17 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4836 Post(s)
Liked 7,827 Times in 3,707 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Are musical instruments art, or the mechanical world? They're metal and wood and string, but I know for a fact most musicians get very attached to specific instruments.

Music is art, but instruments are not. By your standards, anyway.
In my experience as an almost-mediocre musician, I agree that most develop a connection - a favoritism, at a minimum - with their instruments. This has been pretty common with other musicians I’ve met or played with.
Old 01-26-23, 05:40 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Like a puzzle.
I used to tell people I was a professional guesser. It was my job to handle that type of thing. The ones that had been worked on by others were always special, especially when they were out of warranty. If they spent $$$ at another shop, even though they didn't fix it, they don't want to spend any more. They've given up and brought it to the dealer, as if we just walk over to it and voila. It's hard to convince people, even our own service writers, that I am just a human like the ones who already tried to fix it.

When a new model or new engine comes out you have no data base, no experience with it, so the guessing is wilder. When e-cars came out it was a new can of worms.

I'm not talking about something that's doing it when you check it. I told my coworkers if you can duplicate the problem it's child's play. Relatively speaking, of course.
Likes For big john:
Old 01-26-23, 05:43 PM
Mojo31
-------

Q for the tubeless gurus -

I'm losing large amounts of air in my tubeless tires, both lose roughly 50% in 24 hours.

I know the likely culprits - stem o-ring, tape, bead seating. The beads are well seated. I'm using the Trek rim strip that came with the wheels. Same with the stems.

Any troubleshooting methods other than taking it all apart, replacing items on a shotgun basis, and reassembling?

WhyFi
Old 01-26-23, 05:47 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,599 Times in 5,945 Posts
I can't imagine doing anything as a hobby if I feel zero connection to any of the equipment. Cars, bikes, cameras, kitchen knifes, anything.
If you don't catch yourself occasionally just admiring how it looks, where's the joy? I have been known to string a bow just to admire the arc, or to open the back of a pocket watch to admire the movement. And of course, I sometimes just stare at my bikes.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-26-23, 05:48 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Sounds like his and hers is the way to go. You can include hers on your daily ride.
If I had that kind of cash, I'd just stay here, where we already have what we want. Except being able to afford it.

Old 01-26-23, 05:53 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Are musical instruments art, or the mechanical world? They're metal and wood and string, but I know for a fact most musicians get very attached to specific instruments.

Music is art, but instruments are not. By your standards, anyway.
I'm not a musician but I can see the art in a hand crafted guitar or violin. Or a nice bike. Even a custom car can be art.
Likes For big john:
Old 01-26-23, 05:54 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

There is an area sort of like that not far from us. It's a small town about an hour south of the DFW metroplex, and has a nice historic area close to downtown that results in a walkable area. However, what you get in that walkable area may not be what you want. For example, the shopping aspect gives you small town shopping and no access to a lot of things. To find nice shopping, you'd have to drive to Dallas or Fort Worth. In other words, you will get a small town life without access to large town amenities such as those in your area.
I believe her desire for "walkability" is driven more by not wanting to drive than wanting to walk. She's not that much of a shopper, and in fact does NOT walk to the mall that is < 1/2 mile away. She says she wants an Episcopal church within walking distance, but she drives to the one where she's Queen of the Altar Guild* anyway. Her walking is largely just walking Dory around the neighborhood.

I'm not suggestion that you move to Texas. I'm just pointing to some of the give and take that would be required to find your utopia.
That's good.

*Which is a strange position for a nonbeliever to hold, but it makes her happy.

Old 01-26-23, 05:56 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I'm losing large amounts of air in my tubeless tires, both lose roughly 50% in 24 hours.

I know the likely culprits - stem o-ring, tape, bead seating. The beads are well seated. I'm using the Trek rim strip that came with the wheels. Same with the stems.

Any troubleshooting methods other than taking it all apart, replacing items on a shotgun basis, and reassembling?

WhyFi
Throw them in the pool and look for bubbles.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-26-23, 05:59 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28433 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 1,300 Posts
It has occurred to me recently that finding a house/neighborhood to retire in will require a fair bit of needle-threading to keep both of us happy. On the one hand, Mrs. GeneJockey wants a very walkable place, with everything readily at hand. On the other, I want to be able to ride from home without having to drive anywhere, on nice back roads with lots of nice trees and greenery (out here, during outdoor riding season, we have nice trees and brownery). Her preferences would pull us farther into the city, whereas mine would pull us farther out. I'm hoping that what we have here - the combination of walkability with rideability - is not unique to here.
You can cross Knox County off your list.
Old 01-26-23, 06:01 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
You can cross Knox County off your list.
Nothing below the Mason Dixon Line was ever ON our list.

Old 01-26-23, 06:07 PM
Mojo31
-------

I believe her desire for "walkability" is driven more by not wanting to drive than wanting to walk. She's not that much of a shopper, and in fact does NOT walk to the mall that is < 1/2 mile away. She says she wants an Episcopal church within walking distance, but she drives to the one where she's Queen of the Altar Guild* anyway. Her walking is largely just walking Dory around the neighborhood.

That's good.

*Which is a strange position for a nonbeliever to hold, but it makes her happy.
If she just wants a neighborhood for taking walks, that shouldn't be an problem. I took the walkability to meanton area where a car would not be needed to buy groceries and clothing, etc
Old 01-26-23, 06:08 PM
Mojo31
-------

Nothing below the Mason Dixon Line was ever ON our list.
That's good.
Old 01-26-23, 06:10 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I'm not a musician but I can see the art in a hand crafted guitar or violin. Or a nice bike. Even a custom car can be art.
Oh I agree. I was trying to contrast to the claim that a bike was just a tool of no emotional investment, as opposed to art.
Old 01-26-23, 06:12 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10062 Post(s)
Liked 5,049 Times in 2,155 Posts
If you don't catch yourself occasionally just admiring how it looks, where's the joy? I have been known to string a bow just to admire the arc, or to open the back of a pocket watch to admire the movement. And of course, I sometimes just stare at my bikes.

I brought my bikes in the house, just so I could look at them while doing the dishes.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 01-26-23, 06:25 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts
I imagine many of us who had bb guns BITD experienced getting hit in the face with a bb from shooting at something too close and too hard.
A kid I grew up with did lose an eye from getting hit with a BB. He became a pharmacist so he did ok in life with one eye.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 01-26-23, 06:27 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
I can't imagine doing anything as a hobby if I feel zero connection to any of the equipment. Cars, bikes, cameras, kitchen knifes, anything.
same
Old 01-26-23, 06:28 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by Eric F
In my experience as an almost-mediocre musician, I agree that most develop a connection - a favoritism, at a minimum - with their instruments. This has been pretty common with other musicians I’ve met or played with.
What triggered me were the posts earlier today, which I've seen plenty of times before, about one needing to get a bike whose appearance will motivate the owner to ride.

I suppose the newness factor might work for a month or so, but not long-term.

Can one like the way a tool looks? Sure. Can one develop a connection with the way the tool performs, responds to the user's efforts? Yes.

But the passion doesn't come from aesthetics. Take the Stradivarius away from the virtuoso and she'll still want to practice.

Imagine going to a running forum and reading posts about a shoe speaking to you, making you want to run.

Silly.
Old 01-26-23, 06:29 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

So aside from a slightly elevated HR, riding today was pretty great
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 01-26-23, 06:31 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3330 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,228 Posts
Proved again tonight that even when I don’t really want to go ride, I’m always happier when I do.

Ended up being my first datlas-ing: >100’ elevation gain per mile on a road bike.

I mean it was only 17 miles but it still counts
Likes For abshipp:
Old 01-26-23, 06:34 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

What triggered me were the posts earlier today, which I've seen plenty of times before, about one needing to get a bike whose appearance will motivate the owner to ride.

Can one like the way a tool looks? Sure. Can one develop a connection with the way the tool performs, responds to the user's efforts? Yes.

But the passion doesn't come from aesthetics. Take the Stradivarius away from the virtuoso and she'll still want to practice.

Imagine going to a running forum and reading posts about a shoe speaking to you, making you want to run.

Silly.
I’ve had some pretty “hot” shoes that spoke to me when I was primarily a runner and aesthetics definitely play a part in selection.
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 01-26-23, 06:36 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts

WhyFi
First dunk the wheel at the valve stem. I find that's generally the culprit especially if the valve has been used before or if the o-ring was overly squished at some point.

If the valve is good, dunk the rim or spray the rim liberally. Pretty hard to find, though. Also, tubeless rim tape is hard for me to properly seal. I use to have a trough for wetting rolls of wallpaper but my wife got rid of it without realizing that I was dunking wheels in it.

Even my Campy and Fulcrum wheels which have no rim tape, still give me fits occasionally. At the moment, my front Campy Bora loses about 4-5 PSI overnight but the rear loses 10-15. I just plan on pumping before every ride.

Old 01-26-23, 06:46 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

What song does this music come from? #TMIContentAlert

Old 01-26-23, 06:49 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13640 Post(s)
Liked 4,450 Times in 2,470 Posts

Silly.
I can appreciate a good-looking shoe.
Old 01-26-23, 06:49 PM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts

Silly.
Well, I did just pick up a new pair of Saucony Endorphin Speed 3s in neon yellow…
Likes For thin_concrete:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.