Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Vuelta a San Juan

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-23, 01:01 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
bzzzzt
the horrible predictions only get worse from here on out. starting off the year in style.
Old 01-26-23, 01:02 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Bernal is 13th in GC, who's riding for whom? I'm saying Martinez rides for Bernal. Bernal was even in the break yesterday but tv coverage was crap so I wonder when they were caught by the bunch.
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 01-26-23, 03:38 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4367 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Bernal is 13th in GC, who's riding for whom? I'm saying Martinez rides for Bernal. Bernal was even in the break yesterday but tv coverage was crap so I wonder when they were caught by the bunch.
GC hasn't really happened yet. It's all about the sprinters so far.
Old 01-26-23, 08:25 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 453 Posts
I'm thinking it's early days in his recovery and return to racing for Bernal to be the protected rider. I think Ineos rides for Martinez; Bernal and Ganna do what they can do. Bernal's time comes later in the season, if it comes. Fingers crossed for him.

The whole 7 stages of GC is getting packed into 18.8 km @ 4.4%, at the end of stage 5. Even if that doesn't force enough separation to make the available bonus seconds moot in the last two stages, anyone with GC ambitions is going to have a heckuva time elbowing their way through all the fast men.

I think the smart money is on Remco but I have put my dumb money on Higuita and Martinez, et al. LeFevre can thank me later.
Old 01-27-23, 06:53 AM
GrainBrain

I'm just sayin GC starts the day after you cross the line on last seasons final stage bros! Look at where Bernal's been finishing at, I think he needs this result more then Martinez and I think Dani will help him get it.

Simmons being another rider desperate for a result, if he can storm stage 5 and place high enough on sprints.
Old 01-27-23, 07:18 PM
GrainBrain

Ganna can really tackle some of these climbs! Apparently did this at the same race a few years ago. I remember last season he paced Pog up a similar climb in some early race and ended a few seconds off. Interesting dynamic between him and Bernal, how to play that climb against pure climbers. I thought they did the best they could, get ahead of the climbers plus Bernal doesn't have to pull.

Three Americans 9-10-11! Simmons is looking really good! Here's to a successful classics!
This is a big result for Vermaeke, he's in good form hope he gets into some good races.
IPT looks to have had a good signing with Matthew Riccitello!
​​
Old 01-27-23, 09:17 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

GrainBrain , you're crushing it. Top 3% of this race, top 1.5% of the early season rolling tally.

Eat more chickin.
Likes For slcbob:
Old 01-29-23, 09:23 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Another dominant show of force by GrainBrain . Feel free to get that out of your system!

Nice to some of the usual suspects trickling in.
Likes For slcbob:
Old 01-30-23, 03:01 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
these weeklong (5-8 stages) escapades are exactly the kinds of races that miggylo can dominate vs the gt's where the pavement or un/deux jour(s) sans always seem
to be his undoing. monopolize the dauphiné, tour of romandie, tour de suisse, tirenno, et al.
Old 01-30-23, 05:53 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
these weeklong (5-8 stages) escapades are exactly the kinds of races that miggylo can dominate vs the gt's where the pavement or un/deux jour(s) sans always seem
to be his undoing. monopolize the dauphiné, tour of romandie, tour de suisse, tirenno, et al.
I don't know how many invites a Continental team from Colombia will get, even with Miggylo. Superman may be disappearing into the Bat Cave for the ASO / RCS events. Quizás el se queda allá.

Perhaps an unholy alliance with Nairo could pry open an invite or two? Wink wink, nudge nudge.
Old 01-30-23, 10:11 PM
GrainBrain

Originally Posted by MinnMan
I'm not sure I'd like the explanation behind his "horizontal peace sign" though.
settle down! It's just a goofy thing to do, but Gaviria's was better.
Bernal with those pesky knee injury's before the Columbian national championships hmm? The lumpy stages had Viviani really working on the front, I thought that was interesting.

I hope we see Lopez again, would be interesting to see the team Medellin-EPM as a wild card in some week stage races. They seem to do well in their home turf. 10th in the Maryland cycling classic with Róbigzon Oyola. Would be an interesting change of pace.
Old 01-30-23, 10:24 PM
GrainBrain

Originally Posted by slcbob
Another dominant show of force by GrainBrain . Feel free to get that out of your system!

Nice to some of the usual suspects trickling in.
My Bernal pick was inspired (until it wasn't) but the rest was sprinter scatter shot. Ganna seems to get leeway in the early season, didn't he just do the hour record? His form looked great, I thought of him and Simmons, Lopez. I was thinking Martinez is destined for the tour, he'll be putting in work till (??) I hope he learns to descend well. Him and Mas. Would be neat to dig in a little more and sus out some gems. Einer Rubio wasn't on my radar, I thought I remembered Torres being quick up a slight grade.