Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Strava Price up 50%

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Strava Price up 50%

Old 01-30-23, 10:23 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
I assume Strava has to have explored dumping the Free version and just offering a Light vs Full version? Defray some of the increased revenue they're seeking by eg. charging $20/year for the Light version, etc? Can't help but think the paying subscribers are subsidizing the Freeloaders
Old 01-30-23, 10:52 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2561 Post(s)
Liked 5,594 Times in 2,903 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I assume Strava has to have explored dumping the Free version and just offering a Light vs Full version? Defray some of the increased revenue they're seeking by eg. charging $20/year for the Light version, etc? Can't help but think the paying subscribers are subsidizing the Freeloaders
Shhhhhhhhhhh

Old 01-30-23, 10:56 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
As of April, thank you very much!
Old 01-30-23, 11:29 AM
prj71

Quoted: 2973 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
If Strava dumps the free version there are many other apps out there that will do the same thing as Strava. Garmin Connect is free and does pretty much all of the same stuff.

Strava makes enough money from their sponsored challenges.
Old 01-30-23, 11:35 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 364 Posts
"I can't believe it's Capitalism!!"
Posted on Twitter for iPhone

(*sips Starbucks*)
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 01-30-23, 11:54 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,849 Times in 6,066 Posts
I find Strava useful, so I pay for it, because it's cheap and I am not poor. I subscribed when there was a feature I wanted and, IIRC, Strava stopped providing it for free. Rather than whining about that I could no longer get the result of someone else's effort without paying for it, I decided to pay for it. I wouldn't do my job for free, either.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-30-23, 12:05 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4925 Post(s)
Liked 8,039 Times in 3,800 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
If Strava dumps the free version there are many other apps out there that will do the same thing as Strava. Garmin Connect is free and does pretty much all of the same stuff.

For a lot of people, the social media aspect of Strava is a valuable feature. That's a much more difficult factor to transport from one platform to another.

How much is "enough", and how does someone calculate that?
Old 01-30-23, 12:19 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3251 Post(s)
Liked 2,075 Times in 975 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I also buy (good) beer 1 or 2 bottles at a time although admittedly, eggs three dozen at a time.
For some (good) beer, that’s the only way you can get it.

I pay the annual strava rate, it’s worth it to me to keep the platform alive. I also buy 6 dozen eggs, 10 pounds of chicken and 6 pounds of ground turkey in a shot.
Old 01-30-23, 12:37 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
For some (good) beer, that’s the only way you can get it.

I pay the annual strava rate, it’s worth it to me to keep the platform alive. I also buy 6 dozen eggs, 10 pounds of chicken and 6 pounds of ground turkey in a shot.
I've often bought 1/4 of a cow, and once bought an entire side of beef....Which is much cheaper per pound and also offers other benefits.
Old 01-30-23, 01:21 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,981 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71

Garmin Connect doesn't do performance comparisons or much of the social stuff. I find Strava a much better platform for ride logging, tracking friends and comparing performance.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 01-30-23, 02:20 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Garmin Connect doesn't do performance comparisons or much of the social stuff. I find Strava a much better platform for ride logging, tracking friends and comparing performance.
Agree. If you ignore the social media aspect, Garmin connect is comparable to the free version of Strava in some respects, but it only works with Garmin devices and doesn't provide a stand-alone mobile app for activity tracking like Strava does.

Garmin Connect would be fine if you only want to sync and track your own data and don't care about sharing with others, and also don't care about any of the premium features that Strava offers, but it's not really a Strava replacement option.
Old 01-30-23, 02:34 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Garmin Connect would be fine if you only want to sync and track your own data and don't care about sharing with others, and also don't care about any of the premium features that Strava offers, but it's not really a Strava replacement option.
Yup. This. And Garmin Connect doesn't offer anything like Strava Segments. Some may pooh-pooh those -- but during the pandemic, when races were pretty much not happening, I started going after segments as a way to stay sharp.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-30-23, 02:46 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by Koyote
Yup. This. And Garmin Connect doesn't offer anything like Strava Segments. Some may pooh-pooh those -- but during the pandemic, when races were pretty much not happening, I started going after segments as a way to stay sharp.
I use Segments regularly to track my fitness progression. It's one of the most valuable parts of Strava for me.
Old 01-30-23, 02:57 PM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 146 Posts
Has anyone else noticed that creating Strava Routes has gotten terrible?

On several different devices, while trying to create a route, the "cursor" jumps to a completely to different place. Often, when the route is finished, there are zig zags that were never intended to be there, and cut through time and space on nonexistent anything.

This is the main thing I use Strava for, and I will have to let my subscription lapse if I have to start using another platform.
Old 01-30-23, 03:00 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I use Segments regularly to track my fitness progression. It's one of the most valuable parts of Strava for me.
i find they’re way more useful than comparing overall rides. too many variables there, including traffic, road conditions, effort level, differential effects of wind etc.

for any of my favorite 10-20 segments, i’ll generally know what the constraints were. if it was potentially an all out effort with neutral or advantageous winds, then comparing it to other top efforts is really useful. no way to do that for a whole ride.
Old 01-30-23, 03:02 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Same. Segments are great for this and I like how Strava makes it easy to see performance over time on them. I also find the "matched rides" feature to be similarly useful, where it compares total rides. This seems especially useful on Zwift, where I'm more likely to ride the exact same route over and over.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 01-30-23, 03:46 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by mschwett
i find they’re way more useful than comparing overall rides. too many variables there, including traffic, road conditions, effort level, differential effects of wind etc.

for any of my favorite 10-20 segments, i’ll generally know what the constraints were. if it was potentially an all out effort with neutral or advantageous winds, then comparing it to other top efforts is really useful. no way to do that for a whole ride.
Yep.

Same. Segments are great for this and I like how Strava makes it easy to see performance over time on them. I also find the "matched rides" feature to be similarly useful, where it compares total rides. This seems especially useful on Zwift, where I'm more likely to ride the exact same route over and over.
Yep, again.

Don't tell Strava this, but if they doubled the annual subscription rate, I would still pay for it.
Old 01-30-23, 03:56 PM
PeteHski

Yep, I use these features all the time and I'm not aware of any alternative software that does this.
Old 01-30-23, 04:02 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

I have used the "Matched Rides" feature to benchmark my bikes against each other. There's a ~25 mile route I ride after work (during DST). The difference, over 25 miles, between the fastest and slowest bikes was 0.9 mph average - about 4 minutes.

Old 01-30-23, 04:20 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by genejockey
I have used the "Matched Rides" feature to benchmark my bikes against each other. There's a ~25 mile route I ride after work (during DST). The difference, over 25 miles, between the fastest and slowest bikes was 0.9 mph average - about 4 minutes.
Interesting. With enough data to average out variables like traffic, weather, etc., you could get a pretty real picture of which bike is truly faster. Cool.
Old 01-30-23, 04:28 PM
PeteHski

I take these features for granted but would miss them if they weren't there. So it would be disappointing if Strava disappeared and I don't begrudge them for making a profit. They found a good niche in the market and made it their own. I just hope they continue to develop the software. The data analysis side is still a bit lacking, but it has just about enough for me to ditch Training Peaks last year. I just wish the mobile app didn't smooth all the data graphs so heavily. They are almost useless as presented there, especially power.
Old 01-30-23, 04:41 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Interesting. With enough data to average out variables like traffic, weather, etc., you could get a pretty real picture of which bike is truly faster. Cool.
The thing about this route is that there are no stop lights, and only about 9 stop signs and those rarely have cars stacked up. I was riding at the same time of day, after the winter rains ended but before the afternoon prevailing winds were very strong. Of course, the larger margins are more significant, but we're talking 4 minutes difference over an hour and 20 minutes. Interestingly, the two bikes that tied for second posted the same time down to the second. Those two - my only Italian bikes, the only ones with Campy, and both start with B - Bianchi and Battaglin.
Here's the slowest ride.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-30-23, 09:33 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2561 Post(s)
Liked 5,594 Times in 2,903 Posts
I use some of the social aspects as well by joining challenges with my local neighbors (climbing and distance for the year) as well as beer get-togethers. Yesterday I pinged a guy I have never met about a way to connect two routes and got a response today.

Made my day yesterday getting PR on a segment I wasn’t really trying to beat by 30 seconds as well as a 6th overall fastest on a new climb i was just exploring. Now i have to go back and try for the KOM. (It’s very little known and luckily no retired racers know about it). Am trying to also bag as many fastest times for my age group just for fun. Little carrots like this keep me intrigued and using the app.

Old 01-30-23, 09:41 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,905 Posts
Old 01-31-23, 10:10 AM
prj71

Quoted: 2973 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
For a lot of people, the social media aspect of Strava is a valuable feature. That's a much more difficult factor to transport from one platform to another.

How much is "enough", and how does someone calculate that?
I get what you are saying...kinda like a facebook for athletes....but not sure why I need "kudos" after every ride. I use it to keep track of annual mileage and the mileage on each bike I own. Every once in a while, if I'm feeling energetic and in the mood, I will use it to chase a segment for a KOM.

Looking at this...they make money plenty of other ways. No need for me to pay a subscription for features I'll never use.

https://medium.com/bestcompany/how-s...e-92ae7bfdc633

https://productmint.com/strava-busin...va-make-money/

https://entrepreneur-360.com/how-doe...ke-money-35612

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.