Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cross chaining

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-23, 05:42 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Cross chaining

The front shifter on my road bike stopped working after the bike sat for a month+ without use and the bike is stuck in the big ring. I live on a steep hill and am recovering from an injury, so I have to use the low end of the cassette a lot. After riding in this configuration for about two weeks the bike (3x8) is happiest in the largest 5 cogs (gears 1-5) and I hear lots of rubbing when using the high end. I need the low end to get home, so ive kept my speed down and don't use the high end.

My question is this, if I tried to use the high end aswell will that accelerate the wear on my gears to the point where they just need to be replaced? Naively, I think i've got the bike in a state where although its chronically cross chained there isn't significant friction and I hope that once the front shifter gets fixed it will be alright. I'm worried about the chain slipping off my gears when I get this fixed if i'm not gentle enough in the interim.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 01-31-23 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-01-23, 08:51 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
They will wear out anyway at some point. And they aren't real expensive, unless you buy the top tier replacements. And for the most part you aren't wearing anything out that isn't going to be replaced. So for one point in time of your riding, will it hurt you to change them earlier?

You claim you are going to resolve the issue soon that makes you operate it in a way you don't care to. So just do what you need to do.
Old 02-01-23, 09:03 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3505 Post(s)
Liked 2,924 Times in 1,774 Posts
And your front derailleur won't work...why? Shifters just don't stop working after a period of not being used.
Likes For smd4:
Old 02-01-23, 09:20 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
And your front derailleur won't work...why? Shifters just don't stop working after a period of not being used.
This. Figure out what part of the front derailleur/cable housing/cable/shifter system isn't working and then look for YouTube videos that address the specific problem. If the part just needs lubrication, do that. If the part is damaged and needs to be replaced, do that.
Old 02-01-23, 10:14 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Until you fix it, you could set the limiting screw so the der. won't go past the middle cog. Then loosen and pull the cable tight, and re-tighten after you have set the limit, then the front der will be set for the middle cog only, which will make it easier for hills. I had to do this once when a front der. broke right before a ride.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 02-01-23, 12:45 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
LarrySellerz threads are always .... Interesting.

This part: "The front shifter on my road bike stopped working after the bike sat for a month+ without use and the bike is stuck in the big ring." makes absolutely no sense. I have a rack of bikes and I sometimes don't rise one for many months. I pull one down, air up the tires, do a shake-and-rattle test, check the brakes, and ride. Derailleurs never fail to shift. Never in more than five decades.

So ... what is the Real story?

I thought you were okay with the guys at the shop because your father bought a bike there or something .... ride down there and ask them. They can answer while still working on other folks' bikes .... tell you cross-chaining is okay and also suggest what you might have done to the derailleur.

What have You tried to do with the derailleur?
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 02-01-23, 10:53 PM
LarrySellerz

The derailleur clicks like it should, but the hanger doesn't move at all. The cable feels loose compared to the back one. It started acting up when winter started and the bike got wet, I would have to kick it with my heel to drop down to the little ring. I got a flat that I didn't fix for a month or 2 and the problem got worse. Ive tried for several hours and watched multiple videos trying to fix the derailleur and have given up. I don't want to take the bike to the shop yet because there are a bunch of little problems with it and I don't want to ask for free labor, and I was gifted another road bike that I intend on using when the weather gets better.

In the interim I would appreciate not wearing my components together in "weird" configurations that render them unusable (chains skips) under normal conditions. Im guessing that keeping it in the bad position but keeping it somewhat consistent is better than forcing the bike to use the full range with the big gear, but don't have much experience with this.
Old 02-01-23, 11:48 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
I have you considered replacing the cable? Maybe you have a bend somewhere in the housing. I never has a shifter just stop working except for when I crashed and broke it.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 02-02-23, 12:08 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 1,044 Posts
Larry... Really... You know this!

Cross Chaining Is Bad. It's not Disastrous, But it's bad.

When I am cross chaining, and yes I do, it is mostly because I was to lazy or unobservant to get into the right gears before I needed them...
Old 02-02-23, 01:42 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3883 Post(s)
Liked 6,476 Times in 3,205 Posts
When the front shifter and/or front derailleur stop working properly, don't disassemble them and try to correct the problem. Instead, live with it and ask bikeforums how to use the bike as it wasn't intended.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 02-02-23, 05:35 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
The derailleur clicks like it should, but the hanger doesn't move at all. The cable feels loose compared to the back one.
The idea that maybe the cable frayed and then broke never crossed your mind?

The idea that you can easily change a cable never crossed your mind?

While it is different with every bike, you should be able to cross-chain without doing any harm and without, certainly hitting the derailleur cage. Adjust the FD with the limit screws.

6-7-8-speed chains are a little stiffer but I have run many 6-7-8 triples---still have a pair---and never had issues because of cross-chaining. Adjust the derailleurs and it shouldn't matter much at all,.

Ride on with peace of mind.
Old 02-02-23, 05:52 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Agree: the problem is almost certainly that the cable is frayed inside the housing or inside the shifter or the cable has corroded inside the housing or both. Buy new cable and housing and look at some videos for guidance in how to cut the housing to the right length, how to ream the cut end of the housing to ensure that the cable slides freely through, and how to readjust the derailleur once the cable and housing are in place.

On the other topic: cross-chaining doesn't matter, unless it does.

Small-ring-to-small-sprocket usually won't hurt anything (unless the rider uses that combination much of the time, promoting premature wear of the small sprocket, or the chain falls off frequently due to the windup spring in the rear derailleur being too relaxed, or the chain scrapes on the inner side of the outer ring, or backpedaling unships the chain, etc.).

Big-to-big also usually won't hurt anything, unless the chain is too short, in which case the consequences can be dire (broken rear derailleur, bent or broken derailleur hanger, etc.).
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 02-02-23, 05:54 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3505 Post(s)
Liked 2,924 Times in 1,774 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
When the front shifter and/or front derailleur stop working properly, don't disassemble them and try to correct the problem. Instead, live with it and ask bikeforums how to use the bike as it wasn't intended.
Best answer yet.

Seriously, Larry, it sounds like you aren’t really mechanically inclined. Please don't kick your bike - ever. And also sounds like you don’t take care of your bike. Take your bike to a shop where they understand and appreciate your machine, and be prepared to pay for that service,

Last edited by smd4; 02-02-23 at 07:01 AM.
Likes For smd4:
Old 02-02-23, 07:50 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 233 Posts
Most common reason: FD is gummed up with grime, dirt and dried up Gatorade. Soap and water and a WD-40 bath.
Second: frayed or broken cable. Good to replace those periodically anyway.

But the quintessential BF response: New Bike.

You could have fixed this in less time than it took to write this question.
Likes For bblair:
Old 02-02-23, 08:00 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair
Most common reason: FD is gummed up with grime, dirt and dried up Gatorade. Soap and water and a WD-40 bath.
Second: frayed or broken cable. Good to replace those periodically anyway.
+2

I tend to think most mechanical problems are caused by simple issues, you just have to get on them and when it's all fixed you'll be amazed by how simple it really was.

If all else fails, the fallback plan is to take it to the shop. Just remember, no shirt, no service.
Old 02-02-23, 09:19 AM
LarrySellerz

I'm a "science and engineering technician" at a lab, which pretty much means I build stuff and work with my hands all day. Its pretty embarassing that I can't fix my bikes, all things considered. My partner at work would roast me so hard for this thread, but it is what it is; wish I was better at bike maintenance but ive honestly tried with this bike, gave it my best shot.
Old 02-02-23, 10:08 AM
Maelochs

Explain, if you would, exactly, step by step (like a lab flow chart) what you did please.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 02-02-23, 03:21 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Have you tried unplugging and plugging your bike?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-02-23, 08:15 PM
LarrySellerz

So a few months ago I could get it to go from the smallest ring to the biggest ring and visa versa (couldn't go in the middle) and needed the assistance of my heel to get it to downshift. the shifter feels a tad "stuck" but still shifts through the clicks. Ive tried wiping the cable of debree and tightened a nut that I found attached to the cable but that didn't do anything. Previously the shifter had gotten stuck and when i forced it to shift it had some problems but I thought those resolved themselves on their own
Old 02-02-23, 08:29 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Have you lubed the springs on the derailleur and how many times have you kicked it. I mean, you might as well have used a 2 lb sledge hammer. Probable now you have bent the hell out of it and no matter what you do it not going to shift as it probably has something binding.

**** walks away shaking head...

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 02-02-23, 09:23 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Have you lubed the springs on the derailleur and how many times have you kicked it. I mean, you might as well have used a 2 lb sledge hammer. Probable now you have bent the hell out of it and no matter what you do it not going to shift as it probably has something binding.

**** walks away shaking head...
Kicking the derailleur to move it over is not that weird or uncommon, and it won't bend if you're careful to hit it dead on. Whats new to me is doing this to a bike where I care about the state of the drivechain. Normally when Ive had to do this its when dealing with bikes that have been abandoned.

I'm not just holding the bike down kicking it a bunch lols. IDK where to add lube to the derailleur, and have pretty much given up on fixing it and just want to ride the bike as is in the least damaging way.
Old 02-02-23, 10:09 PM
LarryMelman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
Kicking the derailleur to move it over is not that weird or uncommon.
There is something else I'd like to kick... and it ain't a derailleur.

Seriously, I feel like I've seen this movie before.
Likes For LarryMelman:
Old 02-02-23, 10:24 PM
jaxgtr

Kicking the derailleur to move it over is not that weird or uncommon,
In what universe? Do you have special Part Tools kicking boots?

... IDK where to add lube to the derailleur, and have pretty much given up on fixing it and just want to ride the bike as is in the least damaging way.
Uh... as mentioned, the springs. They are pretty clearly visible when you look at them. They are all the rage these days in derailleur technology.

Old 02-03-23, 12:03 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 246 Posts
Pfffft. Get a SA 3 speed with drum brake.
Old 02-03-23, 12:05 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3883 Post(s)
Liked 6,476 Times in 3,205 Posts
I'm a "science and engineering technician."
Likes For SurferRosa:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.