Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

First Ever Ride Clipped In.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 03-01-21, 10:53 AM
sjammer

Bikes: Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 41 Posts

About a month ago I purchased my first road bike and knew at some point I would want start riding clipped in. After I got my bike I started researching about clipless pedals and ended up going with an SPD style since most everything I heard and read said that would be the easiest to learn with. I then bought a good stiff pair of shoes and installed the cleats, sat on my bike to practice clipping in and out, then road on some grass, and took a couple of short rides. After my practice I went for my first clipped in ride yesterday. What a difference, I felt like my pedaling was much more efficient and controlled. I even felt that I expended less energy on the ride than on previous rides in street shoes. I never thought I would notice such a difference. As I get more comfortable riding clipped in I will increase the tension on pedals. Now I understand what the hype about clipless is. I wish I would have started riding clipless years ago on my mountain bike.
Likes For sjammer:
Old 03-01-21, 10:57 AM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
Great job!! Now, you will, eventually experience the dreaded fall over at a stop sign/light in front of EVERYONE. Anyone that has switched to clipless pedals has done it. Once done, you have become a real cyclist.
Old 03-01-21, 11:01 AM
sjammer

Originally Posted by Snotrub
Great job!! Now, you will, eventually experience the dreaded fall over at a stop sign/light in front of EVERYONE. Anyone that has switched to clipless pedals has done it. Once done, you have become a real cyclist.
Almost happened yesterday, but not at a stop sign. I had to stop real quick because of someone stepping out right in front of me. Luckily I was able to unclip and not hit anyone.
Likes For sjammer:
Old 03-01-21, 11:56 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4925 Post(s)
Liked 8,039 Times in 3,800 Posts
You will get to the point pretty quickly where unclipping becomes second nature, and getting your foot down isn't much slower than if your were riding clipless.
Old 03-01-21, 02:28 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
you will, eventually experience the dreaded fall over at a stop sign/light in front of EVERYONE. Anyone that has switched to clipless pedals has done it.
It's not a matter of IF.....but WHEN this will happen
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 03-01-21, 02:48 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
On mountain bikes the prime time for a complete inability to unclip and a big fall is when you a) stall out on a big hill; b)get into slick mud or slippery roots. Enjoy! 😉
Old 03-01-21, 03:14 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
All my bikes are SPD pedals except the fat bike. Once you get use to them you are hooked.
Old 03-01-21, 03:47 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,488 Times in 7,316 Posts
My first time I made it along the sidewalk to my corner and tried to free myself like I was using cleats and toe clips. Wish I had a video of me grabbing the stop sign pole and sliding to the ground letting out an expletive as a father and his young son walked by.
Old 03-01-21, 03:52 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
Check your cleat bolts the end of this week. Most of my three stooges dismounts have occurred because a bolt was loose and I couldn't clip out.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 03-01-21, 04:17 PM
sjammer

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Check your cleat bolts the end of this week. Most of my three stooges dismounts have occurred because a bolt was loose and I couldn't clip out.
I plan on it. I check them yesterday after my ride and I had to tighten them.
Old 03-01-21, 06:44 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,488 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Totally forgot that I once lost two of three from one shoe. I couldn’t unclip one foot. Fortunately, there was a bike shop near. I rode to it. Someone held open front door. I skateboarded up to the service area. A mechanic loosened my shoe so I could get my foot out of it. Pried the shoe out of the pedal with a screw driver and replaced the bolts. Most embarrassing.
Old 03-01-21, 07:22 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 2,300 Times in 1,111 Posts
Originally Posted by sjammer
After I got my bike I started researching about clipless pedals and ended up going with an SPD style since most everything I heard and read said that would be the easiest to learn with.
Even though the guy at the LBS tried to talk me out of SPD and into something else that is what I did as well. Turns out I think he was right or it didn't matter or something. I'm not sure. But three years later I still have the SPDs even though I tell myself I'm going to get some "proper", as the guy at the LBS called them, road pedals. And don't worry about the skinned knees that are sure to come at some point, being clipped into clipless pedals is worth it as you have seen.

Old 03-01-21, 10:29 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
All my bikes are SPD pedals except the fat bike. Once you get use to them you are hooked.
Ok, was this line intentional? 😂
Old 03-02-21, 08:50 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Totally forgot that I once lost two of three from one shoe. I couldn’t unclip one foot. Fortunately, there was a bike shop near. I rode to it. Someone held open front door. I skateboarded up to the service area. A mechanic loosened my shoe so I could get my foot out of it. Pried the shoe out of the pedal with a screw driver and replaced the bolts. Most embarrassing.
LOL! Thanks for posting this story.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 03-02-21, 09:13 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountain Mitch
Ok, was this line intentional? 😂
Yes and No you get hooked to SPD because of the efficient pedaling and your shoes are literally hooked into the pedals.
Old 03-02-21, 02:22 PM
TeamJAB

Bikes: CoMotion Carrera, Salsa Warbird, BH Quartz, Santa Cruz Tallboy

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Clipless is great. You will get used to it and as everyone has said, you'll come to a spot somewhere when you lean the wrong way and can't get a foot out and fall over. Don't fight it, just hope it's a soft landing.
Old 03-02-21, 04:31 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
If you are desperate, the screws that hold in your bottle cages have the same threading as the cleats. I had to fix a woman's shoe during an Alley-Cat I was working. She was able to finish the event.

Years ago I talked a friend into riding clipless the first time on a 65 mile ride. He was very nervous about it and afterwards said he couldn't imagine riding flat pedals again. I almost fell over last week riding too slowly through a deep puddle with floating ice chunks. That was unpleasant.
Old 03-02-21, 09:28 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Telling yourself that you will eventually fall over because of clipless pedals increases the likelihood that it will happen. Self-fulfilling prophecy.
Doesn't happen to everyone. I've been lucky enough - knock on wood - to have never had a clipless-related fall. Switched to SPD in 1998. Knock on wood.
Old 03-03-21, 10:20 AM
Hybrid_Chaplain

Bikes: 2021 Cannondale Quick 4 hybrid & 2004 Dahon Helios folding bike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Congrats on joining the SPD club, sjammer :-)

I am a rookie who bought cycling shoes and SPD cleats about 10 years ago, and only used them a few times before getting away from cycling for various reasons.

I just clipped into brand new Shimano PD-M324 pedals on my new Cannondale this past Sunday for a 12-mile ride. My speed and efficiency was so noticeably improved that I almost felt like I had upgraded to an electrically assisted hub !

Even though I had practiced disengaging from the pedals about 20 times per side before setting out on the ride, I had two instances of not freeing a foot as I slowed to stop signs, and my mini-epiphany was realizing that to get out of trouble, I only needed to pedal a couple more strokes to gain some momentum and try again at twisting my foot out which I did manage to do.
Old 03-03-21, 06:01 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Technically it’s “clicked” in...not “clipped” in. They’re clipless pedals. Ya can’t clip into something that doesn’t have clips.

Dan
Old 03-03-21, 07:13 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Telling yourself that you will eventually fall over because of clipless pedals increases the likelihood that it will happen. Self-fulfilling prophecy.
Doesn't happen to everyone. I've been lucky enough - knock on wood - to have never had a clipless-related fall. Switched to SPD in 1998. Knock on wood.
Likewise - switched to Looks in '96, practiced clicking in & out propped in a doorway for a couple of minutes, then headed out. Bit of a wobble at an early stop sign, but that was it. The "clipped-in topple" is common, but not inevitable.
Likes For Litespud: