Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is it worth upgrading from a square taper crankset?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-23-21, 09:21 AM
djdelarosa25

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

My entry-level road bike with Claris came with an FSA square taper crankset and BB. I was wondering if it was worth upgrading it to the Claris crank which is Hollowtech II. From what I've read, it's lighter and stiffer than square taper and looks a hell of a lot better, too. Also, I could feel the frame flex on my bike when sprinting, which causes chain rub (my front derailleur is properly adjusted), and was wondering if switching to HTII would help with that. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-23-21, 09:34 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
If you want a Hollowtech crank, just get one -- there's nothing wrong with wanting a certain look. But I seriously doubt you'll actually notice the weight, the stiffness, or any effect on frame flex.
Old 06-23-21, 09:55 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Maybe... But not because of flex.

I was surprised at the expense and difficulty I had in finding a square tapper compact crank when I wore out the rings on my old UNIVEGA. Sure, its taken me years to wear out my crank so its not something to do often.

So upgrading to a Hollowtech will not only make you feel better, in the future you will have a broader range of replacement cranks to choose from.
Old 06-23-21, 09:56 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Bottom bracket is one of those things you'll never notice (until it wears out). It's not like a saddle, tires, or bar tape. Ride it until you have to replace it.

Note that you'll need to replace your crank when/if you put a different BB on.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 06-23-21, 10:02 AM
Cpn_Dunsel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 61 Posts

Last edited by Cpn_Dunsel; 07-02-21 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-23-21, 10:09 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3342 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,741 Posts
Originally Posted by Cpn_Dunsel
If there is actual flex that causes chain rub while under stress than the BB might have issues and should be inspected/replaced. It would not be the frame that is flexing but a bad BB can give a feel in the pedals that is concerning.
It could be frame flex that's causing the front derailleur rub, especially since this is an entry level bike.

Derailleur rub was a commonplace problem in the before time (before stiff aluminum and carbon frames became commonplace).

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 06-23-21, 10:19 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
A properly assembled square taper bottom bracket should be trouble free for years and years. I don't notice any difference between square taper and external bearing BBs while riding, but I believe there might be a difference if an engineer calculated the stresses and deflections.

Something that can make a big difference is chainring quality - shifting on a set of FSA rings is significantly inferior to that on Shimano rings. that alone could be worth the trouble for the upgrade - new Shimano rings to fit the FSA crank will probably cost similar to a Claris crank & BB.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 06-23-21, 10:25 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
When I changed my 1979 Raleigh Comp GS from the old Campy Nuvo Record square tapers to a RaceFace Cadence 2 piece crank with the external cups, it convinced me that square tapers are dead.

If there is something odd about your bike that you have to have a certain chainline, then square tapers will let you get there. But then you have to play with spindle lengths, offsets and how different crank sets sit differently on that spindle. Not to mention the few different types of square taper.

It's just so much simpler to be two piece or a octalink or ISIS type crank and BB that engineered and standardized their fit so you don't have to worry about the many things you do with square tapers.

Yes this is all IMO. If any have an affinity for square tapers, that's fine with me.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-23-21, 10:31 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
Something that can make a big difference is chainring quality - shifting on a set of FSA rings is significantly inferior to that on Shimano rings. that alone could be worth the trouble for the upgrade - new Shimano rings to fit the FSA crank will probably cost similar to a Claris crank & BB.
This would be my reason to upgrade to a Hollowtech II crank. It probably would be a bit stiffer than the square taper crank that you have now but not noticeably lighter
Old 06-23-21, 10:38 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4840 Post(s)
Liked 7,830 Times in 3,710 Posts
I don't see how changing the bottom bracket and crank would have an effect on frame flex.
Old 06-23-21, 10:54 AM
djdelarosa25

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Oh wow, I never knew this to be the case. I thought they were all the same. I'm seriously considering upgrading now because of that. Front shifting has been pretty meh on Claris and I thought it all had to do with the short-arm derailleur design that was pretty stiff to actuate.
Old 06-23-21, 11:17 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3342 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,741 Posts
Something that can make a big difference is chainring quality - shifting on a set of FSA rings is significantly inferior to that on Shimano rings.
Having used both FSA and Shimano cranksets, I can't say that I've detected a difference in shifting quality.

Maybe the low-end FSA cranks are made to less precise tolerances? I have no experience there, I've only ridden the high-end FSAs.

Old 06-23-21, 11:41 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4840 Post(s)
Liked 7,830 Times in 3,710 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Having used both FSA and Shimano cranksets, I can't say that I've detected a difference in shifting quality.

Maybe the low-end FSA cranks are made to less precise tolerances? I have no experience there, I've only ridden the high-end FSAs.
I've used both Shimano and FSA, as well. I would give a slight nod to Shimano, but the difference isn't very significant at all. In the real world, both get the job done just fine.
Old 06-23-21, 11:48 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Hollowtech finally made it all the way down to Claris? No more octalink? Frabjuous day!
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-23-21, 11:49 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 822 Posts
"Upgrade" is a word often used on these pages when "change" is the most appropriate word.
Old 06-23-21, 12:08 PM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
=I don't notice any difference between square taper and external bearing BBs while riding, but I believe there might be a difference if an engineer calculated the stresses and deflections.
I'm sure someone here will see that as an invitation.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 06-23-21, 12:19 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
The frame flex leading to the tire rubbing has little to do with the flex of the cranks. That is flex in the frame.

If you replace the ST bb with a hollowtech, you also need new cranks.

IMO, there is little to be gained by upgrading. The difference is there but not all that much. There are almost certainly better places to spend upgrade dollars.

Wait until you need to replace the crank or BB for other reasons.

Last edited by Kapusta; 06-23-21 at 08:42 PM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-23-21, 12:42 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by djdelarosa25
My entry-level road bike with Claris came with an FSA square taper crankset and BB. I was wondering if it was worth upgrading it to the Claris crank which is Hollowtech II. From what I've read, it's lighter and stiffer than square taper and looks a hell of a lot better, too. Also, I could feel the frame flex on my bike when sprinting, which causes chain rub (my front derailleur is properly adjusted), and was wondering if switching to HTII would help with that. Thanks in advance.
Originally Posted by terrymorse
It could be frame flex that's causing the front derailleur rub, especially since this is an entry level bike.

Derailleur rub was a commonplace problem in the before time (before stiff aluminum and carbon frames became commonplace).
If you have frame flex even the highest tech crank and the stiffest chainrings will still rub. You "might" get rid of some of the rubbing with very careful front derailleur stop screw adjustments and then cage modifications, but with indexed shifting if might be difficult and could make it worse. I have found a perfect test of a modification on a bike on a repair stand test, is not an indicator of success, since when you are powering through the pedal cycle with your power and weight AND if there is frame flex, your careful adjustments that remove the rubbing, may lead to over or under shifting.

Been there with FD rubbing on a vintage Peugeot. However, with the friction shifters you could tweak away the rub (usually)...

Upgrading the crank and BB might help, but if not, you may wish to consider saving on the change and apply it to a new or used bike without the flex.
Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 06-23-21, 04:38 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Rode a square taper crank for multiple decades with no flex/scrapping. Only time it would rub is when the BB tension needed some adjustment. Simple fix for the most part. Finally the BB races got pitting which prevented me from getting the proper pretension on the BB. Since the crank extractors had stripped out and both chain rings needed replacing any way, I found it cheaper to put in a close out Campagnolo ultratorque crank than to buy new rings and BB.

So no, you don't need to upgrade so much as check the BB tension.
Old 06-23-21, 04:47 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Originally Posted by djdelarosa25
Oh wow, I never knew this to be the case. I thought they were all the same. I'm seriously considering upgrading now because of that. Front shifting has been pretty meh on Claris and I thought it all had to do with the short-arm derailleur design that was pretty stiff to actuate.
Have you considered the low-end Claris derailer and shifter might be the cause of your issues?
Old 06-23-21, 05:44 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Some FSA's I've ridden were "ughhh clank!" for the upshift & a "hrmmmmm swoop clunk!" for its downshift [2x system] & almost all the Shimano stuff was predictable with some minor shifting grunt. Once on the gear, both performed fine.

Would I swap out a square to something else if there's no obvious BB issue? Not in the current times, but would have 3 years ago quicker than a squirrel burying a nut.
Old 06-23-21, 06:06 PM
TooLegit

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
I had a Claris groupset on my bike. I upgraded to a 105 groupset and a hollowtech BB. I don't notice any difference in the BB but I did love weight difference between both cranks and BB.
Old 06-23-21, 06:19 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Some FSA's I've ridden were "ughhh clank!" for the upshift & a "hrmmmmm swoop clunk!"
Some things are just worth quoting.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 06-24-21, 12:15 AM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 106 Posts
After many years of ST Campagnolo BB's I switched to Shimano external BB's a few years ago and I've had no problems in installation, removal and wear but can't claim to have noticed any difference in efficiency or shifting. A little observation is that Claris and Sora will both have steel inner rings which the OP might even prefer but pushed me towards Tiagra.

Last edited by Welshboy; 06-24-21 at 02:56 AM.
Old 06-24-21, 02:54 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
It's like going from a low end Tioga headset to a Chris King. No, you probably won't notice much difference but it is much nicer.

Nothing wrong with the mod bug, we all get it. Just embrace it.
Likes For Lazyass:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.