Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

CL Giant OCR Composite 2 valuation

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-21, 11:03 PM
robtee92

Bikes: mid 90's Cannondale R700 (stolen, but still mine). Peugeot UO-8 (until I find a replacement)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is $575 a fair price for this bike?
Frame size 51cm
Component Group Shimano Ultegra
Brake set Shimano BR-600 long reach front/Shimano BR-600 long reach rear brakes, Shimano Ultegra STI Dual Control levers - Cables just replaced
Shift Levers Shimano Ultegra STI Dual Control
Front Derailleur Shimano Ultegra Triple just replaced - cable and chain just replaced
Rear Derailleur Shimano Ultegra 10 gear
700c wheels with 700 x 25c Michelin Pro Race tires

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/...425161075.html

https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/valu...product/94048/ sez $420 for good condition

Some ebay comparables I've found:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/30425617786...p2047675.l2557 OCR C1 sold for $700 this month

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14421291664...4AAOSwQwRhSqkZ sold for something less than $780 in october

https://www.ebay.com/itm/33413614579...IAAOSwmTRhMqrE sold for something less than $745 in september

I've heard w/ cheap carbon frames you're often better off getting a good aluminum bike. Does anyone have any thoughts on this, esp as it relates to this bike?

Thanks for the help 👍👍👍
Old 12-28-21, 04:55 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
It's a bike that's probably close to 20 years old, so it's difficult to valuate. What I can say is what could you buy these days for $575? Not much, so in this sense, if it gets you into the sport, then it's a good value. So, if the bike is in good condition, shifts well, brakes well, wheels true, etc., and most importantly, a good fit for you, then by all means, it's a good buy.
Old 12-28-21, 11:10 PM
masonv45

Bikes: 2005 Giant OCRc2, 2016 GT Aggressor Expert

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
I've owned almost that same bike for over 3 years (2006 Giant OCR 1 Composite).

I've had absolutely no issues with the bike other than I wish the neck wasn't so tall - so I could get lower. I'm running standard shimano brakes and 28mm tires on stock rims. Awesome ride.

As with most bikes- if you keep up the maintenance - they will last a long time.

ohh yeah - I paid $330 for it in 2018
Old 12-28-21, 11:42 PM
robtee92

Bikes: mid 90's Cannondale R700 (stolen, but still mine). Peugeot UO-8 (until I find a replacement)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by masonv45
I've owned almost that same bike for over 3 years (2006 Giant OCR 1 Composite).

I've had absolutely no issues with the bike other than I wish the neck wasn't so tall - so I could get lower. I'm running standard shimano brakes and 28mm tires on stock rims. Awesome ride.

As with most bikes- if you keep up the maintenance - they will last a long time.

ohh yeah - I paid $330 for it in 2018
Oof well I brought it back for $550 in almost 2022.
Old 12-28-21, 11:44 PM
robtee92

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
It's a bike that's probably close to 20 years old, so it's difficult to valuate. What I can say is what could you buy these days for $575? Not much, so in this sense, if it gets you into the sport, then it's a good value. So, if the bike is in good condition, shifts well, brakes well, wheels true, etc., and most importantly, a good fit for you, then by all means, it's a good buy.
Yeah it's in good condition, rides great, and I couldn't find anything else comparably good for a similar price. Last bike was 90s Cannondale and I loved it but seems like next step is low end carbon.
Old 12-29-21, 12:11 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
With old bikes you have old components. If those old components are about to give up, then you'll spend quite a bit more for that used bike than you would believe. Enough to have bought a much newer bike with newer components that are still made today.

IF, and I say again if... you are decently experienced with bike DIY and handy with taking stuff apart and putting it back together correctly then it might be a very good bike for you. Though I'd offer 200 less for it.
Old 12-30-21, 12:49 AM
robtee92

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
With old bikes you have old components. If those old components are about to give up, then you'll spend quite a bit more for that used bike than you would believe. Enough to have bought a much newer bike with newer components that are still made today.

IF, and I say again if... you are decently experienced with bike DIY and handy with taking stuff apart and putting it back together correctly then it might be a very good bike for you. Though I'd offer 200 less for it.
General consensus seems to be : I overpaid

Surprised a bike from 2006 ish is considered old WRT finding parts. I didn't expect that to be a problem.
Old 12-30-21, 08:52 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
The used bike market is insane right now. I think you overpaid but in fairness to you it is a challenge to find a good deal right now. Also, this era of bikes has fairly standardized parts. You should be able to find what you're looking for and most shops will be able to help you out with most anything not drivetrain related. However if something major breaks in the drivetrain, expect to be scouring Ebay for a replacement.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 12-30-21, 10:46 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Originally Posted by robtee92
Surprised a bike from 2006 ish is considered old WRT finding parts. I didn't expect that to be a problem.
Think of it like a smartphone, you are only good for a 2 or 3 model versions (and OS versions) before you really start to suffer performance and app issues. Similarly, that Ultegra version is 10 speed. Ultegra went 11 speed soon after that model Ultegra on your bike. Ultegra and DuraAce are now becoming 12 speed.

Tiagra is currently 10 speed. So much of it will work for your bike if those current components ever wear out. But I'm not entirely sure everything will work on a 1 to 1 change out without having to change other stuff too.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Tiagra 11 speed is announced soon and you'll have to go another tier lower to get new 10 speed parts if ever needed. Might still be a year or so off before such happens. And there are always used parts and NOS at outrageous prices off of eBay and other places or third party makers that might have compatible stuff.

Don't worry about possibly overpaying. It's still a good bike. You will probably get good use of it and if you don't have much road bike experience it's a good way to get some so you can learn what you do and don't want in the future and maybe pony up a little more money then.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 12-30-21, 02:38 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Don't worry if you overpaid. It is all relative. The pandemic has made everything bike-related expensive. Buying later models in the used market means you're paying close to the MSRP, but the advantage is that you don't have to wait for inventory. I stand by my initial assertion--that you can't buy something similar quality with that price, not even close. So don't worry about it, because just because someone paid a few hundred less for the same bike pre-pandemic doesn't mean you could have gotten it for that price right now. The market dictates everything. Just go enjoy your ride.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 12-30-21, 03:14 PM
robtee92

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Don't worry if you overpaid. It is all relative. The pandemic has made everything bike-related expensive. Buying later models in the used market means you're paying close to the MSRP, but the advantage is that you don't have to wait for inventory. I stand by my initial assertion--that you can't buy something similar quality with that price, not even close. So don't worry about it, because just because someone paid a few hundred less for the same bike pre-pandemic doesn't mean you could have gotten it for that price right now. The market dictates everything. Just go enjoy your ride.
yeah 100% still thrilled to have a (relative to what i've owned before) modern bike 😁😁😁

Originally Posted by Iride01
Think of it like a smartphone, you are only good for a 2 or 3 model versions (and OS versions) before you really start to suffer performance and app issues. Similarly, that Ultegra version is 10 speed. Ultegra went 11 speed soon after that model Ultegra on your bike. Ultegra and DuraAce are now becoming 12 speed.

Tiagra is currently 10 speed. So much of it will work for your bike if those current components ever wear out. But I'm not entirely sure everything will work on a 1 to 1 change out without having to change other stuff too.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Tiagra 11 speed is announced soon and you'll have to go another tier lower to get new 10 speed parts if ever needed. Might still be a year or so off before such happens. And there are always used parts and NOS at outrageous prices off of eBay and other places or third party makers that might have compatible stuff.

Don't worry about possibly overpaying. It's still a good bike. You will probably get good use of it and if you don't have much road bike experience it's a good way to get some so you can learn what you do and don't want in the future and maybe pony up a little more money then.
jeez well good to keep in mind. i've had to trawl ebay for obscure no-longer-in-productiono parts in other domains of my life so hopefully this isn't too bad when it comes up.

anyways thanks everyone for chiming in. if you bought this bike or another similar model please let me know how much you paid and what you thought of the bike