Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Never leave big ring

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Never leave big ring

Old 01-08-22, 01:30 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
Never leave big ring

Sup guys. People I ride with have told me that I should never be leaving the big ring on the terrain we do. Its mostly flat with rolling hills. How long does a climb have to be before you downshift and spin up it? They tell me to just put down more power. I only have 6 rings in the back and the bike doesn't seem to like being in the smallest two when in the big chainring

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 01-08-22 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-08-22, 01:36 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Up to 10% and under 4 minutes duration, it all big dog for me.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 01-08-22, 01:50 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9529 Post(s)
Liked 6,269 Times in 3,457 Posts
Do what you gotta do to make your ride work. Who cares what others say.
Old 01-08-22, 02:16 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,315 Times in 2,700 Posts
Since they are nice enough to let you ride with them, you should follow their instructions instead of continually second guessing them on the internet. You are sooo lucky to have found those guys. Our group would put you in a ditch on the first ride.
Old 01-08-22, 02:30 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,599 Times in 5,945 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Sup guys. People I ride with have told me that I should never be leaving the big ring on the terrain we do. Its mostly flat with rolling hills. How long does a climb have to be before you downshift and spin up it? They tell me to just put down more power. I only have 6 rings in the back and the bike doesn't seem to like being in the smallest two when in the big chainring
Hey! Great meeting you this morning! Did you ever catch the Spectrum guys?

Are the guys telling you to stick with the big ring only skinny? Because if they are, they don't know. Big guys like us use all the gears. Don't let people who aren't 1) your size, or 2) riding your bike with your bike's gearing tell you what you should do.

BTW, if your derailleur isn't shifting into ALL the gears, you should get it fixed. Might be the limit screws, might be the hanger. In either case, eminently fixable.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-08-22, 02:43 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Since they are nice enough to let you ride with them, you should follow their instructions instead of continually second guessing them on the internet. You are sooo lucky to have found those guys. Our group would put you in a ditch on the first ride.
You guys would have tried to crash me out? Sounds dangerous, maybe you should find a safer more sociable group. Most cyclists like other cyclists, and also like seeing a guy trying to keep up on inferior equipment.
Old 01-08-22, 02:46 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Nope, most cyclists wouldn't like riding with you. Sorry. Of course that's the BF Larry you've shown us.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-08-22, 02:48 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by genejockey
Hey! Great meeting you this morning! Did you ever catch the Spectrum guys?

Are the guys telling you to stick with the big ring only skinny? Because if they are, they don't know. Big guys like us use all the gears. Don't let people who aren't 1) your size, or 2) riding your bike with your bike's gearing tell you what you should do.

BTW, if your derailleur isn't shifting into ALL the gears, you should get it fixed. Might be the limit screws, might be the hanger. In either case, eminently fixable.
Nice meeting you too! I couldn't catch them but managed to grab em on the way back (you were right to get in front and let them pass.) Managed to stick with them from past the water temple to woodside, which was the best ive done ever on that ride. Most of them are skinny (im the fattest guy on the rides lol) but I listen to their advice because there is really a wealth of knowledge on the roads out here and I'd be doing myself a disservice by not keeping an open mind. My derailleur shifts in all the gears but I'm worried about breaking something by cross chaining. My chain skipped today on spectrum when riding uphill standing, which is super sketchy, really can't be having that happen. I didn't swerve much but I know people who have crashed because of that.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 01-08-22, 02:50 PM
LarrySellerz

Nope, most cyclists wouldn't like riding with you. Sorry. Of course that's the BF Larry you've shown us.
Huh, frankly I feel sorry for you, that your local cycling culture is so uptight.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 01-08-22, 02:57 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Not uptight at all. Just no patience with crackpots and attention seekers. We just want to enjoy our rides w/o drama.
Old 01-08-22, 03:03 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Use the little ring when climbing. It’s not rocket science.
Old 01-08-22, 03:04 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Nice meeting you too! I couldn't catch them but managed to grab em on the way back (you were right to get in front and let them pass.) Managed to stick with them from past the water temple to woodside, which was the best ive done ever on that ride. Most of them are skinny (im the fattest guy on the rides lol) but I listen to their advice because there is really a wealth of knowledge on the roads out here and I'd be doing myself a disservice by not keeping an open mind. My derailleur shifts in all the gears but I'm worried about breaking something by cross chaining. My chain skipped today on spectrum when riding uphill standing, which is super sketchy, really can't be having that happen. I didn't swerve much but I know people who have crashed because of that.
Are your shifters indexed or friction? If it's indexed, you need to adjust cable tension. If it's friction, well - that's on you! But, yeah, standing on the pedals and having the chain skip is no fun.

But as far as gearing goes, trust me - use all the gears you need to, because if you're trying to muscle the big ring uphill too much it'll kill your knees. Think how many more watts it takes to lift either of us up some of those hills, compared to the guys who weigh 60-90 lbs less!

Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-08-22, 03:07 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Wait - so you have some folks telling you to spin like mad and other saying only use the big ring? You realize you're getting diametrically opposed advice here, right?

Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-08-22, 03:14 PM
LarrySellerz

Friction shifters. Most of the advice ive gotten about cadence is that mine is generally too high, but today on spectrum there was a guy who seemed steady who was probably doing at least 130 rpm.
Old 01-08-22, 03:14 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Maybe they're telling you that so they can drop you on the hills.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 01-08-22, 03:28 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,295 Times in 7,229 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Beat me too it. The OP seems to have a hard time figuring things out on his own. Makes him easy to mess with.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-08-22, 03:29 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Friction shifters. Most of the advice ive gotten about cadence is that mine is generally too high, but today on spectrum there was a guy who seemed steady who was probably doing at least 130 rpm.
Maybe tighten the screw that holds the shifter on the boss. When I've had the chain start to skip in a gear that had been fine, it's generally because the screw was a bit too loose, so the springs in the rear derailleur were pulling the lever back to a smaller cog.

Old 01-08-22, 03:34 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,712 Times in 2,911 Posts
It's more about how steep the climb is for me unless you can climb it in the big ring entirely from your momentum i.e. a very short climb. Otherwise I use whatever gear gives me a comfortable cadence. Unless you are actually spinning out you will not be power limited in a lower gear. With the benefit of a power meter I often see higher power in a lower gear when climbing, even if it doesn't feel like it.

Telling you to just put down more power is not very useful if you are already putting down whatever power you feel is at your limit. Especially if you are already grinding at that point.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 01-08-22, 03:57 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,691 Posts
Ride your own ride.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 01-08-22, 04:45 PM
Koyote

Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Since they are nice enough to let you ride with them, you should follow their instructions instead of continually second guessing them on the internet.
But that would mean wearing a shirt, right?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-08-22, 06:40 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4744 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Beat me too it. The OP seems to have a hard time figuring things out on his own. Makes him easy to mess with.
Yup. I was taught that if you rode smaller gears than someone, they wouldn't have the legs when crunch time came. This isn't entirely true. Each person has a range that works for them. And there's ability. I could have out-spun John Howard all day and still, crunch time and he's gone!
Old 01-08-22, 07:41 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
...bike doesn't seem to like being in the smallest two when in the big chainring
Ha... Ha... I am still laughing but its not my bike... My legs don't like that big ring up front and small ones in the back... Thank you for the chuckle... Wonderful...
Old 01-08-22, 08:06 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
One of my bikes is a 1x, so I only have a Big Ring.

Old 01-08-22, 08:41 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by zandoval
Ha... Ha... I am still laughing but its not my bike... My legs don't like that big ring up front and small ones in the back... Thank you for the chuckle... Wonderful...
Lol I meant to say it doesn't like being in the small chainring and small cogs
Old 01-08-22, 11:39 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Lol I meant to say it doesn't like being in the small chainring and small cogs
You've already mentioned it as cross chaining, bikes just don't like doing it so don't be surprised by the noise. Really dropping to the small ring is all about the size and steepness of the hill as well as the length. I knew one hill that was just over 1/8 of a mile long and not too steep and because of how often I rode it, it was an easy big ring sprint. Yet if it was even the slightest bit steeper and a touch longer it would be a sit and spin in the small ring. You have to decide what your legs can handle.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.