Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Park INF-2 Inflator Qiuestion - Hissing Sound

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-22, 03:17 PM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts

Just got the Park INF-2 inflator - after pumping a tire I heard a soft hissing sound coming from the connection between inflator plug and quick release coupling shown in the attached picture - is this normal ?

Location of hiss is circled in red .

Last edited by blinky; 03-12-22 at 03:20 PM. Reason: better picture
Old 03-12-22, 03:42 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
On occasion it can make a little hissing. Sometimes it is the connection point but usually not a problem I just disconnect the inflator when finished and noise goes away.
Old 03-13-22, 07:41 AM
blinky

Originally Posted by veganbikes
On occasion it can make a little hissing. Sometimes it is the connection point but usually not a problem I just disconnect the inflator when finished and noise goes away.
The inflator at our local gas station doesn't make a hissing noise but they're using a barbed plug which makes it more air tight - I just thought , maybe incorrectly, that a plug with quick release coupler combo was a pretty tight fit , enough so that I wouldn't get the air leakage hissing sound , that's all .
Old 03-13-22, 08:21 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by blinky
Just got the Park INF-2 inflator - after pumping a tire I heard a soft hissing sound coming from the connection between inflator plug and quick release coupling shown in the attached picture - is this normal ?

Location of hiss is circled in red .
Oh, how I wish I could still hear those small hissing air leaks
Your red circle is drawn around two connections, either of which could leak. The brass fitting threaded in the handle, and the quick-connect itself. A soap bubble test will tell. Either one easily dealt with.
Old 03-13-22, 08:29 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
If you installed the threaded brass quick-connect adapter "dry" that is probably your problem. Remove it, wrap the male threads with two wraps of teflon plumber's tape and reinstall it. That should fix it.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 03-13-22, 08:31 AM
blinky

Originally Posted by FBOATSB
Oh, how I wish I could still hear those small hissing air leaks
Your red circle is drawn around two connections, either of which could leak. The brass fitting threaded in the handle, and the quick-connect itself. A soap bubble test will tell. Either one easily dealt with.
It's definitely an air leak , how can it be eliminated ? teflon tape around the plug tip ??
Old 03-13-22, 08:36 AM
Mr. 66

Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 957 Posts
Do the soap test, find wear the leek(s) are. After you know what is leeking, then you can address.
Old 03-13-22, 08:39 AM
blinky

Originally Posted by HillRider
If you installed the threaded brass quick-connect adapter "dry" that is probably your problem. Remove it, wrap the male threads with two wraps of teflon plumber's tape and reinstall it. That should fix it.
Got teflon tape around the threads of the plug and the threads on the hose - guys at the local hardware store say it's a normal sound - thought of tape around the tip of the plug but if it breaks off then it could gum up the inside of the coupler ??
Old 03-13-22, 08:41 AM
FBOATSB

It's definitely an air leak , how can it be eliminated ? teflon tape around the plug tip ??
Depends which joint is leaking first and foremost. Teflon tape is for threaded joints and is no good in a two piece quick connect that has an o-ring in side.
Old 03-13-22, 08:50 AM
Mr. 66

Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 957 Posts
You could just have a bad coupling, that's not uncommon. Does it stop if you play, or rotate the tool. Replace the tip, try again, replace the receiver, try again.
Old 03-13-22, 08:58 AM
blinky

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Do the soap test, find wear the leek(s) are. After you know what is leeking, then you can address.
It's coming at the spot where the plug is at the entrance point of the coupler , now what ??
Old 03-13-22, 09:06 AM
blinky

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
You could just have a bad coupling, that's not uncommon. Does it stop if you play, or rotate the tool. Replace the tip, try again, replace the receiver, try again.
Of the 2 parts , the coupler is the most complex and so I'm guessing the location where the seal is formed inside the coupler is the culprit - I've tried two couplers with same result , what's the odds .
Old 03-13-22, 09:11 AM
blinky

Originally Posted by FBOATSB
Depends which joint is leaking first and foremost. Teflon tape is for threaded joints and is no good in a two piece quick connect that has an o-ring in side.
Thanks for the input , above you said the issue is easily dealt with , care to share your insight ??
Old 03-13-22, 09:42 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
Are you certain your hose end quick connect is for the same type M fitting as comes on the inflator? Also, I've had cheap'o quick connect fittings of the same type not work well together and let air leak from between them.
Old 03-13-22, 10:38 AM
blinky

Originally Posted by Iride01
Are you certain your hose end quick connect is for the same type M fitting as comes on the inflator? Also, I've had cheap'o quick connect fittings of the same type not work well together and let air leak from between them.
The Park INF-2 uses a 1/4" M-style plug but the instructions say it will accept a 3/8" NPT male threaded plug - not sure what the coupler is - what should it be - when you buy a compressor it begins a whole new path of learning pipe fitting standards and nomenclature , it's fun but frustrating - and just maybe the description and instructions that came with the Park INF-2 are incorrect ??

Last edited by blinky; 03-13-22 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-13-22, 10:41 AM
FBOATSB

What brass fittings came with the inflator and can you email Park Tool to get them replaced is where I'd start.
Old 03-13-22, 11:15 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
The Park INF-2 uses a 1/4" M-style plug but the instructions say it will accept a 3/8" NPT male threaded plug - not sure what the coupler is - what should it be - when you buy a compressor it begins a whole new path of learning pipe fitting standards and nomenclature , it's fun but frustrating .
Your quick connect on the hose needs to be a type M too. They are also called IM connectors (both the coupler and the plug. However there are a lot of universal couplers out there too that work with the various different types of plugs. Maybe yours is a universal. I've changed all my stuff out to what is commonly called automotive or type T or even C-style. So you can see it gets confusing quick.

Regardless, if it's not leaking because air of how well the threads of the plug going into the inflator are sealed. And you are sure the air is leaking around that connection, then something needs to be replaced if the hiss bothers you to much. The plugs might be some of the cheap plugs similar to what I had that weren't to the tolerances of their specification. Or your coupler is a cheap'o that isn't quite to spec either. Or you have a universal coupler and it just is going to leak some with some fittings.

If it's not leaking when disconnected from the inflator, I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it is leaking so much that you can't fill your tires to the desired pressure.

Here is a link that talks about quick connect types, but it's not definitive. There are subtle variations being sold. Maybe to avoid having to pay patent fees.
https://toolguyd.com/quick-guide-to-...ouplers-plugs/

M type fittings are the most common you'll see on stuff you buy for the home DIY'er

Last edited by Iride01; 03-13-22 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-13-22, 11:57 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2744 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
There is a dizzying array of pneumatic couplers out there.

Don't get me started on hydraulic hoses and coupler configurations which are even worse.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 03-13-22, 01:55 PM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
There is a dizzying array of pneumatic couplers out there.

Don't get me started on hydraulic hoses and coupler configurations which are even worse.
We solved that issue by using "universal" females for the quick disconnect, now it doesn't matter which male snaps into it. Like like this one
https://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...ler-63549.html
There is also a version with a male thread vs the female thread shown.

Last edited by JoeTBM; 03-13-22 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-13-22, 02:30 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2744 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
I use these on my main compressor hose as they're 1 hand operation and fit most common I & M males. I have a whole drawer full of connectors in various size NPT & barb M/F configurations.

https://dixonvalve.com/en/products/d...coupler/4df4-b
Old 03-13-22, 02:59 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,060 Times in 744 Posts
Also run a little silicone grease or spray around the rubber seals too as it makes the couplers easier to connect, lengthens the life of the seals and sometimes stops small leaks. You can also get small silicone grease packets at most auto parts stores for cheap if you don't want to buy a whole tube. Standard Ignition Silicone Grease SL-3 | O'Reilly Auto Parts (oreillyauto.com)
Old 03-13-22, 03:05 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it. At least half my connectors have a little hiss. As long as the tool works and it's not so bad it's draining the tank it's a non-issue.
Likes For kingston:
Old 03-13-22, 03:33 PM
blinky

Originally Posted by kingston
I wouldn't worry too much about it. At least half my connectors have a little hiss. As long as the tool works and it's not so bad it's draining the tank it's a non-issue.
Good to know - it works fine and quick , not worried about it but prefer to fix it if possible , maybe quirky on my part but thanks for the input .
Old 03-13-22, 03:50 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Good to know - it works fine and quick , not worried about it but prefer to fix it if possible , maybe quirky on my part but thanks for the input .
Then buy a better connector as some others have suggested. The cheap ones are a little sloppy. It's almost certainly not the connector in the tool itself assuming it's the original from Park.
Old 03-13-22, 04:10 PM
blinky

Originally Posted by kingston
Then buy a better connector as some others have suggested. The cheap ones are a little sloppy. It's almost certainly not the connector in the tool itself assuming it's the original from Park.
Yes , I agree the male plug came with the Park INF-2 inflator - I feel it's the female quick release coupler that's the problem - I plan to bring the hose with both connections to a local woodworking shop that uses a compressor with fittings all day , I'll see what they recommend , thanks !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.