Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Rack for 20" folding bike with wheels

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 10-02-22, 05:57 PM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Hi,

Does anybody know where I can find a rear rack for Birdy or Bike Friday that has wheels so I can roll the bike when folded? Most racks for Brompton's are too small.

Thanks,
Charles
Old 10-02-22, 06:39 PM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by cplager
Hi,

Does anybody know where I can find a rear rack for Birdy or Bike Friday that has wheels so I can roll the bike when folded? Most racks for Brompton's are too small.

Thanks,
Charles

Paul from Origami Bikes might be somebody worth asking. He's currently developing a wheeled rack for his company's upcoming soon to be released 20" Swift folder. The rack will be specially designed for the Origami Swift, but it'll possibly work with a Birdy or a Bike Friday as well. Worth enquiring.

https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-b...n-classic.html
Likes For joey buzzard:
Old 10-02-22, 07:59 PM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by joey buzzard
Paul from Origami Bikes might be somebody worth asking. He's currently developing a wheeled rack for his company's upcoming soon to be released 20" Swift folder. The rack will be specially designed for the Origami Swift, but it'll possibly work with a Birdy or a Bike Friday as well. Worth enquiring.

https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-b...n-classic.html
we are still working on it. I may have photos this week.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 10-03-22, 05:38 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinigis
we are still working on it. I may have photos this week.
Please do post on this thread when you do (even if you just post a link to another thread). Thanks!

Charles
Likes For cplager:
Old 10-03-22, 06:21 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 450 Posts
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256801565585320.html

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803046026261.html
Old 10-03-22, 05:20 PM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Both of these look to be the right size, but neither of these has wheels nor any easy way to add them (unless I am missing something).
Old 10-03-22, 05:26 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
Both of these look to be the right size, but neither of these has wheels nor any easy way to add them (unless I am missing something).
This is from Tern, but it's too expensive IMO:https://www.ternbicycles.com/us/acce...transit-rack-m
Old 10-03-22, 05:40 PM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
This is from Tern, but it's too expensive IMO:https://www.ternbicycles.com/us/acce...transit-rack-m
Agreed.

I'm hoping I can find something to use with a Bike Friday when the real wheel is folded 180 degrees (like Brompton does).
Likes For cplager:
Old 10-05-22, 06:30 AM
CEBEP

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts
Hi,

Thanks,
Charles
Birdy racks are proprietary ones and afaik are different for Birdy Mk 3, 2. I’m not sure Birdy rear rack will fit other bikes as the one I have on my R&M Birdy Mk 3 Touring is designed to collapse once bike is folded. You can see this rack in this review, wheels are mounted at the end of this rack. If that’s what you are looking for you can order them from R&M dealers. There are other options on Aliexpress from other manufacturers but I have no experience with them.
Old 10-05-22, 06:44 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CEBEP
Birdy racks are proprietary ones and afaik are different for Birdy Mk 3, 2. I’m not sure Birdy rear rack will fit other bikes as the one I have on my R&M Birdy Mk 3 Touring is designed to collapse once bike is folded. You can see this rack in this review, wheels are mounted at the end of this rack. If that’s what you are looking for you can order them from R&M dealers. There are other options on Aliexpress from other manufacturers but I have no experience with them.
Thanks. I think you're right that a Birdy rack would not work for a Bike Friday.

I see various racks on Aliexpress, but as far as I can tell, all of them are sized to fit Brompton's smaller wheels.
Old 10-05-22, 06:50 AM
CEBEP

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts
Maybe it’s a stupid question but did you ask Bike Friday? Racks with wheels would normally be designed for a certain bike model. Or look for something like this
Old 10-05-22, 12:18 PM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CEBEP
Maybe it’s a stupid question but did you ask Bike Friday? Racks with wheels would normally be designed for a certain bike model. Or look for something like this
Not a stupid question. No, I have not asked Bike Friday.

That definitely looks like a possibility. Thanks!
Old 10-06-22, 01:27 PM
Pinigis 

Please do post on this thread when you do (even if you just post a link to another thread). Thanks!

Charles
We made our first attempt, but we have shipped it off to a company that specializes in racks to get them to tweak the design, and then produce it for us.
Old 10-09-22, 01:01 PM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
We made our first attempt, but we have shipped it off to a company that specializes in racks to get them to tweak the design, and then produce it for us.
Please post pictures as soon as you can. Thanks!
Old 10-12-22, 12:44 PM
Pinigis 

Here is our latest effort.

Tip the back back to roll it on the trolly wheels
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 10-13-22, 03:19 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Here is our latest effort.
No triangulation? Floppy structure?
Old 10-13-22, 06:44 AM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by 2_i
We are trying to get the geometry right first. We will be adding a side structure for rigidity and mounting of panniers.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 10-13-22, 09:34 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
I don't understand this criticism. It is not a perfect triangle, yes, but for a functional reason and most racks are like this. In the other direction, few racks are triangulated, Brompton, may be an exception.
Old 10-13-22, 10:16 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
I don't understand this criticism. It is not a perfect triangle, yes, but for a functional reason and most racks are like this. In the other direction, few racks are triangulated, Brompton, may be an exception.
What?! it is a valid engineering criticism. I am not sure I have a rack that is not triangulated - I seem to bypass those that are not. You seem to be dismissing the history of frame construction (scaffolding, Eiffel Tower, bridges) and these days even of molecular design.

What is triangulation and why is it used in frame structures?

Examples of Triangulation

The design of Frame Structures: Triangulation

P.S. Moreover here the rack is supposed to support the bike and this just on its edge.

Last edited by 2_i; 10-13-22 at 10:22 AM. Reason: PS
Old 10-13-22, 10:43 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
What?! it is a valid engineering criticism. I am not sure I have a rack that is not triangulated - I seem to bypass those that are not. You seem to be dismissing the history of frame construction (scaffolding, Eiffel Tower, bridges) and these days even of molecular design.
First off, I said it is not a perfect triangle. Many racks are not. Many have adjustable rods to connect to the chain stays that look a lot like Pinigis's. When I first read your comment, I did not know which plane of the rack you meant. I think it likely that you're letting the perfect be the enemy of the good.

BTW, I did not mean to criticize you. I very much respect you and your opinions. I just wanted to understand your comment.
Old 10-13-22, 11:14 AM
2_i 

BTW, I did not mean to criticize you. I very much respect you and your opinions. I just wanted to understand your comment.
No offense and you are very welcome to criticize - it should be a discussion and I may stumble beyond the limits of my expertise.

First off, I said it is not a perfect triangle. Many racks are not. Many have adjustable rods to connect to the chain stays that look a lot like Pinigis's. When I first read your comment, I did not know which plane of the rack you meant. I think it likely that you're letting the perfect be the enemy of the good.
The photos indeed show principally only one projection, but is evident that the stays supporting the rear edge of the rack stick out on their own and the edge is susceptible to swings to the side. In addition, these stays may buckle out, if the bike is tipped over so that it rests just on that edge. In any case, Pinigis stated that this is only a transient form, presumably not worthy yet of investments into greater stability.
Old 10-16-22, 07:45 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
I am a retired engineer, and have lots of miles of bike touring with heavy loads on a bike. It is my professional engineering opinion that sometimes all you need is a light duty rack.

I usually tour with a Tubus Logo EVO rear rack on my medium or heavy duty touring bike, extremely stiff and robust. On my light duty touring bike I tour with a Racktime Addit rack, also very stiff and a weight capacity that although is less than the Logo is still more than adequate for my needs.

But both of those racks are in storage right now because for riding around near home I am looking for a wider platform and do not need the weight capacity of those touring capable racks.

Two photos of part of my light duty touring bike, the first photo is with the Racktime Addit rack that I use for loaded touring with my camping gear.

Second photo, this is the rack I use for riding around home. It serves my needs very well for that purpose. Occasionally used with one or two shopping panniers, but often just used with a rack top bag, it is more than adequate.

The prototype rack cited above on the folding bike might not be built for heavy duty touring, but perhaps it is sufficient for most needs of potential customers?
Old 10-16-22, 10:24 AM
2_i 

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I am a retired engineer, and have lots of miles of bike touring with heavy loads on a bike. It is my professional engineering opinion that sometimes all you need is a light duty rack.

The prototype rack cited above on the folding bike might not be built for heavy duty touring, but perhaps it is sufficient for most needs of potential customers?
Agreed that for light enough loads, you do not need to overly complicate. I tend to build up so that I later do need to look back. (I may throw 18kg just to go to work and this for a backpack on top of the rack.) Correspondingly, I tend to go with Tubus or Old Man Mountain. The Tubus, you give as example, has the structural rigidity built in. Most corners are widely rounded. The stays are at angles to each other irrespective of projection and these angles are fixed.

The particular rack, discussed earlier, was to carry the folded bike while rolling. According to a parallel thread the project was abandoned due to insufficient stability, not clear whether the structural stability discussed here, or just geometry.