Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage CILO * 531 Reynolds Frame Serial ID help

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 10-30-22, 09:41 PM
tjfastback66

Bikes: a few

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 141 Posts

Hello All,
Just picked up this CILO vintage Bicycle from a local thrift shop in SW Florida. Reynolds 531 Tubing chrome fork and all Shimano 600 series components. There is little information about this brand that I can find. Serial number is 95932 and the bottom bracket cable guides have " modele VITUS depose". Who knows if Hurrican IAN pushed the prior owner to donate this bicycle to a local thrift shop, However I thought that the frame was well worth the $90 purchase price. The rear cassette is "frozen" and just now I did a heavy dose of PB Blaster and did all the moving parts to try and loosen it up.

Can someone please help out and ID this beautiful CILO?

Old 10-31-22, 12:21 AM
spudly

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 24 Posts
Nice bike! Beautiful color and the frame looks to be in great shape (though how anybody decided to put on that bar tape is beyond me).

I've just been fixing up one of probably the same vintage that has the same details (lug type, chrome fork, Shimano 600 with 3T bars/stem), but I believe mine is Columbus Aelle tubing. I don't know the model/year, but will check the serial number tomorrow.

FWIW I paid about twice what you did and still think I got a good deal even though the frame condition is nowhere near yours. I bought it because it came with a nice clean set of Mavics with newer tires and, being of partial Swiss heritage, I'm a sucker for almost anything made there.
Likes For spudly:
Old 10-31-22, 06:31 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Cilo was a Swiss brand, created in 1914 by Charles Jan. His company had factories in Lausanne and Oron. The brand name is based on the initials of the founder and the two factory locations. This would make CJLO but the J didn't work, so he backed if off one letter, to make it CILO. It can be pronounced either Chee-lo or See-lo as Switzerland has four official languages, However, both factories are the predominantly French speaking region, so See-lo would be preferred.

Cilo was a full range brand, producing everything from utility bicycles up to professional grade racing bicycles, Circa 1946 they started sponsoring pro teams, which continued though to the original company's bankruptcy in 2002. The brand was resurrected a few years later.

Regarding the subject bicycle, the frame should have been manufactured in 1982, as the last character reportedly indicates the year. The second last character is reportedly the month, which would make it March. However, this would be too early for that Reynolds decal style, which I've always understood to have been introduced for the 1983 model year. If the 3 is a partially stamped 8, then it could be 1983 model year. The frame characteristics do appear to appropriate for the 1982-1983 era.

The tubing decal indicates that this is a tretubi frame with Reynolds 531 butted tubes being used only for the main triangle. The stays and blades are some lesser grade material. For the era, this would place the frame at the mid-range level.

The Shimano New 600EX components are also firmly mid-range and initially would appear to be OEM. However, they weren't introduced until the 1984 model year and would be too new for a frame manufactured in 1982. It would appear to have been either rebuilt or purchased as a frame.
Old 10-31-22, 07:19 AM
tjfastback66

Originally Posted by T-Mar
Cilo was a Swiss brand, created in 1914 by Charles Jan. His company had factories in Lausanne and Oron. The brand name is based on the initials of the founder and the two factory locations. This would make CJLO but the J didn't work, so he backed if off one letter, to make it CILO. It can be pronounced either Chee-lo or See-lo as Switzerland has four official languages, However, both factories are the predominantly French speaking region, so See-lo would be preferred.

Cilo was a full range brand, producing everything from utility bicycles up to professional grade racing bicycles, Circa 1946 they started sponsoring pro teams, which continued though to the original company's bankruptcy in 2002. The brand was resurrected a few years later.

Regarding the subject bicycle, the frame should have been manufactured in 1982, as the last character reportedly indicates the year. The second last character is reportedly the month, which would make it March. However, this would be too early for that Reynolds decal style, which I've always understood to have been introduced for the 1983 model year. If the 3 is a partially stamped 8, then it could be 1983 model year. The frame characteristics do appear to appropriate for the 1982-1983 era.

The tubing decal indicates that this is a tretubi frame with Reynolds 531 butted tubes being used only for the main triangle. The stays and blades are some lesser grade material. For the era, this would place the frame at the mid-range level.

The Shimano New 600EX components are also firmly mid-range and initially would appear to be OEM. However, they weren't introduced until the 1984 model year and would be too new for a frame manufactured in 1982. It would appear to have been either rebuilt or purchased as a frame.
Wow - Thank you for your quick reply! You are truly a gift to this Forum!

One question in your reply " If the 3 is a partially stamped 8" what should I be looking for on the Reynolds label?
Old 11-01-22, 06:11 AM
tjfastback66

I just stumbled upon this blog about Cilo bicycles:

More about Swiss Cilo cycles & their owners – Diary of a Cycling Nobody

Just in case there are other Cilo owners out there.
Old 11-01-22, 10:26 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by tjfastback66
...One question in your reply " If the 3 is a partially stamped 8" what should I be looking for on the Reynolds label?
If the 3 is a partial 8, then it would have been built late enough in the calendar year that the decal used on the frame is the correct style. I believe the Reynolds decal changed in style during late 1982, for the 1983 model year.
Old 01-26-23, 08:08 PM
tjfastback66

*** UPDATE ***
I shipped down an inexpensive wheelset with new tires and put on some used pedals and a Planet Bike seat (the original TURBO) was ROCK hard.
This CILO rides really quiet shifts and brakes amazingly well. It is Fast,and is rather lightweight - I really love the vintage feel of the Reynolds Frame. The cable housings will need to be replaced, but for now they seem to be just fine for my daily rides.

Cheers from South West Florida !

Likes For tjfastback66: