Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Hibernation Begins !

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Hibernation Begins !

Old 11-17-22, 06:33 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 867 Times in 443 Posts
Hibernation Begins !

Well lets clear that up a bit, winter hibernation begins for my road bikes. As freezing temps start to roll in and become the norm snow and ice season are soon to follow. Now the trail bikes move into fulltime mode with the studded tires soon to follow. The roads tend to get narrower and lots of sand and salt make for an unwelcoming road ride. I had a great winter riding season last year and am hoping this year is the same. I ride in a region that has well over 100 miles of trails and a good amount are groomed for the snowmobiles. Bring on the snow and ice and let's ride, ride, and ride some more.
Likes For ZIPP2001:
Old 11-18-22, 07:33 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Oh, come on! I used to live near Woostah (you know, Worchester.) You mean you don't like the challenge of snowbanks on either side of the road that narrow the roads to a lane and a half? Salt that will corrode just about anything? Potholes that would swallow your front wheel and break your fork, leaving you to go head first over the handlebars into the middle of the road with some person in a car with summer only tires sliding sideways towards you at much too great a speed for the conditions?
Geez, what a wussie!

We are in a very unusual cold snap here in SC. It's not even going to get into the 50s this weekend. The bike club has cancelled the usual Saturday ride and instead will be doing a club ride on Zwift.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 11-18-22, 07:45 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1748 Post(s)
Liked 1,421 Times in 972 Posts
I live/ride in Southern California. 45F this morning. 'Nuff said.
Likes For skidder:
Old 11-18-22, 08:48 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Nicer here in winter than summer IMO. It was 35F when I went out for a ride this morning, but I like this weather better than the relentless summer heat.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 11-18-22, 10:49 AM
55murray

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
I'm with you. The Miyata gets hung up about Dec 1 to mid March. The Trek FX3 is about to rule...
Likes For 55murray:
Old 11-18-22, 02:25 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Oh, come on! I used to live near Woostah (you know, Worchester.) You mean you don't like the challenge of snowbanks on either side of the road that narrow the roads to a lane and a half? Salt that will corrode just about anything? Potholes that would swallow your front wheel and break your fork, leaving you to go head first over the handlebars into the middle of the road with some person in a car with summer only tires sliding sideways towards you at much too great a speed for the conditions?
Geez, what a wussie!

We are in a very unusual cold snap here in SC. It's not even going to get into the 50s this weekend. The bike club has cancelled the usual Saturday ride and instead will be doing a club ride on Zwift.
For ten Thanksgivings I did a ride up to Worcester airport before diner from my sister in-laws in West Boylston. After the airport I would go into the center and do George Street before heading back for diner. Now a days in nice conditions the steel bulls don't pay attention forget about adding shrinking roads to deal with. I'll move over to the trail network in my old neighborhood for winter and deal with deer, moose, foxes and other little critters. I do play with the snowmobiles, and they seem to get a kick seeing a rider out on the trails.
Old 11-18-22, 02:26 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Originally Posted by skidder
I live/ride in Southern California. 45F this morning. 'Nuff said.
36 degrees at the start of my trail ride today and finished at 38 degrees, can't wait for freezing temp and snow and ice.
Old 11-18-22, 05:32 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Originally Posted by ZIPP2001
For ten Thanksgivings I did a ride up to Worcester airport before diner from my sister in-laws in West Boylston. After the airport I would go into the center and do George Street before heading back for diner. Now a days in nice conditions the steel bulls don't pay attention forget about adding shrinking roads to deal with. I'll move over to the trail network in my old neighborhood for winter and deal with deer, moose, foxes and other little critters. I do play with the snowmobiles, and they seem to get a kick seeing a rider out on the trails.
Only the bravest of souls would ride through Kelly Square!
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 11-20-22, 08:26 PM
sam21fire
Flying and Riding

Bikes: Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
I pretty much ride the same bike (Bacchetta A20 recumbent) just swap to studs when the snow/ice shows up, but there's room for them where you probably don't on other road bikes.
Sam
Likes For sam21fire:
Old 11-26-22, 03:37 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 60 Posts
I do miss the ever changing weather of New England - on occasion. Have fun and stay safe cycling this winter.
Likes For Jumpski:
Old 11-29-22, 09:12 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
I currently live in Dubai, so the winter weather issues are a non-event. That said, I admire your gumption. I am truly impressed.