Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Paul Brodie

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Paul Brodie

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-22, 07:35 PM
boneshaker78
Commuting Fool

Bikes: 1988 Miele Azsora, 2022 State All-Road 4130, 2003 Jamis Coda Comp, 1983 Specialized Expedition, 1994 Norco Monterey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 39 Posts
Paul Brodie

I’m not a framebuilder, but I sure wish I was. I really like watching Paul’s videos and thought some of you might enjoy hearing about his life experiences. If you’re interested, he has a channel on youtube and his most current video is about his life. The video is “The TRUE Story of brodie’s bikes // Paul Brodie’s Shop”.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+frame+builder

Last edited by boneshaker78; 12-21-22 at 08:00 PM.
Likes For boneshaker78:
Old 12-21-22, 07:46 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Hey... Thanks for the links...

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+frame+builder
Old 12-21-22, 07:49 PM
boneshaker78
Commuting Fool

Bikes: 1988 Miele Azsora, 2022 State All-Road 4130, 2003 Jamis Coda Comp, 1983 Specialized Expedition, 1994 Norco Monterey

Thanks for helping and putting that up. I’m not sure what happened to the link I posted or what BF policies are on posting links like that.
Old 12-21-22, 10:34 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
I watched this vid just last night. Very interesting. But I am a child of that time so what would you expect. Being East Coast I am less familiar with some of his references of people he worked with still the stories are very similar to others I have heard elsewhere. Some people can be so inwardly focused to not care or even think of the wake they leave behind.

I've been doing this hobby building for a long time and watching his teaching how to silver braze a water bottle boss was eye opening in how he aimed his flame. I'll have to try his method.

Watching his vids reminds me of Chicago 1985 when the local shops/clubs were invited to view a pre release showing of "Breaking Away". The theater audience understood the riding scenes and clapped and reacted at the crush points. This is what I do with Paul's vids.

I am glad he is back in his shop, recovers well and continues to give us insights to both fabricating stuff and his industry experiences. Andy
Old 12-21-22, 11:28 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I looked at what you posted originally, and you used the wrong tags somehow on your link. There is noting wrong with posting youtube links on Bikeforums.

If your post comes out differently than you expect, I suggest editing it and clicking on the "source" button in the toolbar above the edit box. That way you can see what's going on. I think if you had just removed the incorrect tags, it would have parsed the url properly. A link will have "url" in square brackets.

Last edited by unterhausen; 12-21-22 at 11:32 PM.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 12-22-22, 04:22 AM
boneshaker78
Commuting Fool

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I looked at what you posted originally, and you used the wrong tags somehow on your link. There is noting wrong with posting youtube links on Bikeforums.

If your post comes out differently than you expect, I suggest editing it and clicking on the "source" button in the toolbar above the edit box. That way you can see what's going on. I think if you had just removed the incorrect tags, it would have parsed the url properly. A link will have "url" in square brackets.
I understand better. Thanks
Old 12-22-22, 10:58 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart

I've been doing this hobby building for a long time and watching his teaching how to silver braze a water bottle boss was eye opening in how he aimed his flame. I'll have to try his method.
I was thinking the same thing. I'm curious how this technique would apply to lugs. I would think that a more diffused heating makes more sense for a lug joint vs. a small braze on.
Old 12-22-22, 06:28 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

His channel is a real service.
I like that repurposed coping saw. I wonder if I have an extra saw lying around.
The thing with a heavy piece and a light tube is you can aim the flame at the heavy part. So with lugs, you mostly heat the lugs. Or the braze on, in the case of the video. The other thing he didn't talk about is you can just point the flame away. Sometimes I think I probably look like a hyperactive monkey when I braze.

Last edited by unterhausen; 12-22-22 at 06:46 PM.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 12-22-22, 06:41 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Originally Posted by Cynikal
I was thinking the same thing. I'm curious how this technique would apply to lugs. I would think that a more diffused heating makes more sense for a lug joint vs. a small braze on.
Brazing a bottle boss is dealing with a huge difference of contact surface area, WRT the amount of edge between the two parts. meaning that the boss has so little area to have the filler flow into and has a lot of access to the outside world (which the flame and the filler rod are in). A lug has very little edge (shoreline) compared to the internal surface area, resulting in the need to use capillary action a lot more when filling a lugged joint.

So, yes, I agree. Andy
Old 12-26-22, 03:19 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Brazing a bottle boss is dealing with a huge difference of contact surface area, WRT the amount of edge between the two parts. meaning that the boss has so little area to have the filler flow into and has a lot of access to the outside world (which the flame and the filler rod are in). A lug has very little edge (shoreline) compared to the internal surface area, resulting in the need to use capillary action a lot more when filling a lugged joint.

So, yes, I agree. Andy
I've watched several of Paul's videos, and always learn something new each time.

Can you point me towards the water bottle boss brazing info?
Old 12-26-22, 05:27 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I posted the same question and then deleted it because it's his previous video, "how to silver solder"