Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Is this a 1974 Schwinn Continental?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 01-07-23, 09:27 PM
Lbxpdx

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 98 Posts

I picked this up for the pedals, which I know may sound weird, but it has on it an exceptionally clean pair of 80’s KKT bear claws on it. I’m trying to figure out what model the bike is so I can get back out into the wilds of Portland. I think it is a Continental from 74 as it has center pull brakes, 10 speeds, quick release skewers and Araya red label 27” wheels. It has no labeling on it, just pinstriping. It looks like it may still have the original tires on it and if it has been ridden, I can’t tell.

serial number starts with DK.

Likes For Lbxpdx:
Old 01-07-23, 10:20 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 845 Posts
Looks like it's been repainted(?).
Old 01-07-23, 10:22 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
Originally Posted by Lbxpdx
I picked this up for the pedals, which I know may sound weird, but it has on it an exceptionally clean pair of 80’s KKT bear claws on it. I’m trying to figure out what model the bike is so I can get back out into the wilds of Portland. I think it is a Continental from 74 as it has center pull brakes, 10 speeds, quick release skewers and Araya red label 27” wheels. It has no labeling on it, just pinstriping. It looks like it may still have the original tires on it and if it has been ridden, I can’t tell.

Nothing weird about it, those are awesome.
Old 01-08-23, 07:01 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
If it were mine, I would add toeclips and convert from TwinStik to barcon shifters. The tubular fork is the other giveaway that it is a Continental, rather than a Varsity.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 01-08-23, 07:21 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts

The fork is identical to my 1974 LeTour fork.
If it's a continental, it's a electroforged steel frame with an upgraded fork which yours appears to have.
Old 01-08-23, 08:06 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 957 Posts
A Continental would have had different pedals. The red cage is a nice touch.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 01-08-23, 09:14 AM
John D
Not so New

Bikes: I haven't counted lately

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
The pedal looks like a KKT Lightning, not a bear trap. I bought an 80s Traveler for those pedals and a Brooks Proffessional for a decent price.
Old 01-08-23, 10:11 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked 667 Times in 417 Posts
Araya rims on a '74 Schwinn? Doesn't sound original but I'm no expert
Old 01-08-23, 11:25 AM
streetsurfer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 149 Posts
The barrel adjusters on the levers were not on other early ‘70’s Continentals that I own or owned. Those range from ‘71-‘72, with maybe a ‘73 in there. I’d assumed they were from a super Sport or higher level Schwinn. If not an add-on. I do have them on an otherwise stock Schwinn repaint that I haven't yet figured out the year of production on, or the model. Iirc it’s older because 1/2” pedal.

Maybe someone knows whether or not they became standard on Continental by 73-74?
Old 01-08-23, 11:52 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
I picked this up for the pedals, which I know may sound weird,
It isn't weird if it makes sense. I bought a bike for the caps because it was cheaper than I could have got the caps for on eBay.

Old 01-08-23, 11:53 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
It's a Continental fer sure. The Super Sport has more pointed seat stay end and the rear brake braze ons are different. The Continental also did come with the adjuster barrels on the brake lever. 'Agree that Araya rims are not original. One of the previous owners that put them on did good. This is the best upgrade for Varsities and Continentals.

I like the paint job. It looks good in the pictures. This looks to be an excellent rider. Ride and enjoy. By the way, I kind of like the Twin Stik shifters, but I can understand swapping the shifters to suit what you like. One minor problem with the Twin Stik shifters is that the cable is difficult to find. The solution is to get a "sport" shift cable and file it down to fit.

Please get the wheels on it, take it for a spin and get some more pictures and an impression of what you thought about it.
Old 01-08-23, 12:24 PM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 1,626 Times in 935 Posts
Here's a web site to confirm your Schwinn date of manufacture : https://bikehistory.org/serial-number.html

They give you a nice little window of confirmation with a catalog picture like this one for my '75 Continental

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
It's a Continental fer sure. I kind of like the Twin Stik shifters, but I can understand swapping the shifters to suit what you like.
I also like the Twin Stik levers, It's one of the unique traits of old Varsity's & Continental's and a few others....but I'm wierd as I also like the steel rims. The Conti will never be a performance bike, so I've only taken off the turkey levers and added a better seat, and hose clamped bottle cage. This thread inspired to get mine out for a Sunday ride

Last edited by Deal4Fuji; 01-08-23 at 12:47 PM.
Likes For Deal4Fuji:
Old 01-08-23, 11:27 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 367 Posts
I agree that it's a Continental. The differences between a Varsity and a Continental were: centerpull brakes (with adjusters and QR's on the brake levers), tubular fork, QR front wheel, and aluminum stem. Otherwise they were identical. The Araya rims and KKT pedals are definitely non-stock.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..