Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Expensive Components with Rust-Prone Bolts

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-23, 03:25 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3415 Post(s)
Liked 3,543 Times in 1,783 Posts

Expensive Component:

WCS CARBON 1-BOLT ZERO OFFSET SEATPOST - $259.95

Steel mounting bolt after a few years, rusted:

Single bolt replacement cost (boltdepot.com):
  • zinc-plated steel: $0.42
  • stainless steel: $0.62

Same issue with Ritchey stem mounting bolts. They become rusty after 1 or 2 seasons.

Why, Ritchey? Why?

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 01-20-23, 03:42 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Do the zinc and/or stainless replacement bolts last longer?
Old 01-20-23, 03:54 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
My Thompson seat post and stem are 15 years old and still don't have any rust on the bolts despite being used during winter time and wet conditions. All the other bolts on all my other bikes and components have some rust on them. The disc brake adapter and caliper bolts have most rust on them even after after I've been greasing them during winter riding season. Axle nuts have no rust because they are zinc plated and i grease them regularly...It's just cosmetic rust and doesn't bother me.
Old 01-20-23, 04:40 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by Rolla
Do the zinc and/or stainless replacement bolts last longer?
The zinc-plated bits rust rather quickly. The stainless ones don’t rust, unless they are in a very corrosive environment (like salt water spray) for a long time.

That Ritchey bolt was probably zinc-plated.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 01-20-23, 05:11 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9652 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
https://provenproductivity.com/galva...r-materials-2/
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 01-21-23, 09:04 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
My Thompson seat post and stem are 15 years old and still don't have any rust on the bolts despite being used during winter time and wet conditions. All the other bolts on all my other bikes and components have some rust on them. The disc brake adapter and caliper bolts have most rust on them even after after I've been greasing them during winter riding season. Axle nuts have no rust because they are zinc plated and i grease them regularly...It's just cosmetic rust and doesn't bother me.
My Thompson seat post with nearly 80K miles on it shows zero rust on the bolts. My Thompson stem with the same mileage (and arguable more salt exposure from my hands occasionally clamping the bars right next to the stem) has rust on all the bolts. I've sought out stainless bolts but haven't tried very hard. The ones I can get from my local hardware store have heads that are just a bit to big. I agree that ALL bike components should be specified with stainless bolts where possible. There are various grades of stainless steel that are more or less corrosion resistant.
Old 01-21-23, 09:11 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
If you're using a carbon seatpost to save some weight, why not go with titanium bolts? No rust, and lighter than stainless steel. Yes, they cost more, but if you're going with a $260 seatpost, well.....

Titanium Fasteners - Firmakes Titanium
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 01-21-23, 09:46 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
I don't think any of my seat post bolts have ever rusted... but even if they did, I probably wouldn't swap to stanless or titanium. A seatpost bolt has to hold a lot of weight so that's one place I'd prefer 10.9 or higher grade steel.
Old 01-21-23, 09:49 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Expensive Components with Rust Patina-Prone Bolts
fify.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 01-21-23, 09:57 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
It would seem to me that the really expensive components would have stainless steel bolts in the first place.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 01-21-23, 11:59 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
The problem is that titanium, or even stainless steel bolts, of the same size, are weaker.

The carbon/steel interface allows for an oxidation-reduction reaction to take place, due to their electrochemical potential difference.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 01-21-23, 01:24 PM
greatbasin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 65 Posts
That's a zinc-plated bolt. Is it adjacent or contacting the carbon? Or does it bolt to an aluminum casting? With the presence of an electrolyte, a carbon/zinc assembly will produce an electrochemical reaction resulting in the erosion of the zinc anode (the bolt).

I would look for a Titanium bolt for this application. Titanium bolts are not weak, but they have two problems: galling, and flex. The lack of lateral stiffness isn't an issue in this application. To address galling, be generous with anti-seize when installing it.

Another good one is aluminum alloys with scandium. I've used a lot of aluminum bolts for less critical applicaitons like bolting side covers on engines. The quality of the aluminum bolts was abysmal, but it didn't have to be. There are some great aluminum alloys and while they aren't direct replacements for steel where the tensile strength is critical, they are strong and light. Specifying a larger aluminum bolt can be an effective substitute for steel but has design/build implications. Another trick I've seen are hollow steel bolts. Those have incredible strength/weight ratios, but they still require a compatible finish process.

I don't know where a person can get a small quantity of high-quality bolts and fasteners nowadays. Back in the day, I ordered from Aircraft Spruce. They're still around. The Titanium bolt makers I used 25 years ago are all gone, but no doubt there are others now.

Last edited by greatbasin; 01-21-23 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-21-23, 02:37 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2695 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
From looking at their website I think it’s a stainless m5 bolt, can’t find the length called out anywhere https://ritcheylogic.com/bike/seatpo...plete-clampset

https://www.mcmaster.com/product/91292A194 something like this of the correct length and “collar” (the distance between the bottom of the head and the start of the threads.) is what’s on there now, it’s almost certainly standard 304 series.

if you want more corrosion resistance with 316 McMaster offers that too https://www.mcmaster.com/product/92290A258
i naively think that is sensible.. replacing with titanium or aluminum alloy sounds really weird, don’t try to reinvent the wheel.
Old 01-21-23, 02:40 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2695 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
From looking at their website I think it’s a stainless m5 bolt, can’t find the length called out anywhere https://ritcheylogic.com/bike/seatpo...plete-clampset

https://www.mcmaster.com/product/91292A194 something like this of the correct length and “collar” (the distance between the bottom of the head and the start of the threads.) is what’s on there now, it’s almost certainly standard 304 series. That’s assuming it’s actually ss.

if you want more corrosion resistance with 316 McMaster offers that too https://www.mcmaster.com/product/92290A258
i naively think that is sensible.. replacing with titanium or aluminum alloy sounds really weird, don’t try to reinvent the wheel.
Old 01-21-23, 02:58 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by elcruxio
I don't think any of my seat post bolts have ever rusted... but even if they did, I probably wouldn't swap to stanless or titanium. A seatpost bolt has to hold a lot of weight so that's one place I'd prefer 10.9 or higher grade steel.
Well, that's an M6 bolt. Pretty hefty. Even in stainless, it should have a tensile strength above 10,000 lbs. If that's not enough to keep it from breaking, then I'd question the seatpost design.

Originally Posted by rydabent
It would seem to me that the really expensive components would have stainless steel bolts in the first place.
This is what I'm saying.

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
The carbon/steel interface allows for an oxidation-reduction reaction to take place, due to their electrochemical potential difference.
This seatpost design is all steel touching aluminum. The aluminum castings clamp to the carbon post.

Originally Posted by greatbasin
That's a zinc-plated bolt. Is it adjacent or contacting the carbon? Or does it bolt to an aluminum casting?
It's a (presumably) zinc-plated steel, bolted to aluminum castings. It doesn't touch any carbon bits.

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
From looking at their website I think it’s a stainless m5 bolt, can’t find the length called out anywhere.
It's an M6 bolt (non-stainless), actually. 1.0 mm threads, 55 mm long.

I replaced it with this stainless bolt.

Old 01-21-23, 03:13 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
What a sham. Components on a $259.95 Seat Post should not rust!

Just another example of not getting what you paid for... Come On Ritchey. It's little things like this that make me sober when pointing out defects in in some cheap ChiCom knockoff that doesn't rust...

Yep... This post deserves a Titanium bolt.
Old 01-21-23, 03:27 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Expensive Component:

WCS CARBON 1-BOLT ZERO OFFSET SEATPOST - $259.95

Steel mounting bolt after a few years, rusted:

Single bolt replacement cost (boltdepot.com):
  • zinc-plated steel: $0.42
  • stainless steel: $0.62

Same issue with Ritchey stem mounting bolts. They become rusty after 1 or 2 seasons.

Why, Ritchey? Why?
Agree. I have replaced a lot of hex head bolts on bike parts with equivalent items from my local marine chandler (where I spend far too much time and money for other reasons). They don’t corrode.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 01-21-23, 03:39 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Well, that's an M6 bolt. Pretty hefty. Even in stainless, it should have a tensile strength above 10,000 lbs.
I'm skeptical of your math.

The unthreaded portion of an M6 bolt has a cross-sectional area of about .044 square inches. High-strength 316 stainless hardware is usually rated for a minimum ultimate strength of around 110,000PSI, which over .044in^2 gives about 4,800 pounds.
But the threading also eats up a ton of the effective diameter. Realistically I'm not sure anyone should be counting on a coarse-thread M6 bolt to have an effective loaded cross-sectional area of much over .03 square inches, which gives 3,300 pounds.

Furthermore, stainless hardware often yields at far below its ultimate strength, so even "3300 pounds" is probably an optimistic perspective for most applications.
Old 01-21-23, 05:42 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

This seatpost design is all steel touching aluminum. The aluminum castings clamp to the carbon post.
Doesn't matter. The aluminum is a wire that connects a cathode and anode. Current flows.
Old 01-21-23, 05:42 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I just noticed the bolts in my carbon stem aren't looking too hot.
Old 01-21-23, 06:41 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Seems like someone would make an anti-corrosion chamois lube.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 01-21-23, 06:45 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Stainless = not strong

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 01-21-23, 07:23 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by HTupolev
I'm skeptical of your math.

The unthreaded portion of an M6 bolt has a cross-sectional area of about .044 square inches. High-strength 316 stainless hardware is usually rated for a minimum ultimate strength of around 110,000PSI, which over .044in^2 gives about 4,800 pounds.
But the threading also eats up a ton of the effective diameter. Realistically I'm not sure anyone should be counting on a coarse-thread M6 bolt to have an effective loaded cross-sectional area of much over .03 square inches, which gives 3,300 pounds.

Furthermore, stainless hardware often yields at far below its ultimate strength, so even "3300 pounds" is probably an optimistic perspective for most applications.
You’re right, A typical stainless M6 bolt tensile strength is roughly 10,000 Newtons (not pounds), or about 2300 pounds.

(I misread the table)

Still, pretty beefy.

Old 01-21-23, 08:08 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadco
Stainless = not strong

Plenty strong for use on bicycles.
Old 01-21-23, 08:09 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 185 Posts
You’re right, A typical stainless M6 bolt tensile strength is roughly 10,000 Newtons (not pounds), or about 2300 pounds.

(I misread the table)

Still, pretty beefy.
We won’t use stainless in the drive train of an RC helicopter, very dangerous when they let go and they do.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.