Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Heading to the co-op; tire sizing question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-23, 03:38 PM
louky

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts

I need to get some tires for bikes that are to be donated. These bikes are from the 80's (I think), one Huffy All-pro, and one Free Spirit. Both tires are labeled 26 x 1 3/8. The last time I looked for these tires they didn't have very many. Is there any other size (that might be common to a co-op) that I could substitute? TIA
Old 01-20-23, 03:54 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,818 Times in 1,539 Posts
key is 26, in that diameter there are not a lot of tires narrower than 1 3/8, you can go larger than 1 3/8 , but you need to look at how much clearance there is for a larger tire both frame and brakes, some frames can go bigger some cannot amazon looks to be around 20 buck a tire

Old 01-20-23, 03:56 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by louky
I need to get some tires for bikes that are to be donated. These bikes are from the 80's (I think), one Huffy All-pro, and one Free Spirit. Both tires are labeled 26 x 1 3/8. The last time I looked for these tires they didn't have very many. Is there any other size (that might be common to a co-op) that I could substitute? TIA
I'm aware of several different 26" tire standards. Do you have the common: ISO 559? Or the larger ISO 590 standard? You can tell from the tire sidewall.

I volunteer regularly at a Co-op, and this time of year we are drowning in bikes. Especially now that pandemic-era bike purchases are being dropped on us as folks return to recreational activities that they really want to do (not biking). You might want to check with your Co-op. Don't mean to seem snobby, and we accept all donations, but any bike labelled: 'Huffy' or "Free Spirit" would be immediately disassembled, and every single part would go straight to recycling, no matter how good of a condition it was in.
Old 01-20-23, 04:08 PM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
More then likely they are ISO 37-590.

Bikesmiths have them in stock, if you need 4 they are $61.56 +tax including shipping not too bad of a price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29466845315...Bk9SR-CesZO6YQ

Likes For JoeTBM:
Old 01-20-23, 04:11 PM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
I'm aware of several different 26" tire standards. Do you have the common: ISO 559? Or the larger ISO 590 standard? You can tell from the tire sidewall.

I volunteer regularly at a Co-op, and this time of year we are drowning in bikes. Especially now that pandemic-era bike purchases are being dropped on us as folks return to recreational activities that they really want to do (not biking). You might want to check with your Co-op. Don't mean to seem snobby, and we accept all donations, but any bike labelled: 'Huffy' or "Free Spirit" would be immediately disassembled, and every single part would go straight to recycling, no matter how good of a condition it was in.
We also are drowning in bikes at our volunteer shop, guess we are not that picky.

Old 01-20-23, 04:26 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
Probably NOT-
A 26x1-3/8" is typically a 35/37ish x 590mm. (37- 590 on the side wall.)
Schwinn had a similar size that was 597mm Bead Seat Diameter.
The 590 or 597mm is the IMPORTANT part.
The tire selection is not very good in that somewhat obsolete size.

Typical "mountain bike" 26 is a 559mm BSD.
USE THE ISO SIZE!
From Sheldon-

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 01-20-23 at 04:35 PM.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 01-20-23, 05:31 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,420 Posts
It sounds like these tires might predate the ERTRO sizing system. So go to the prior standard marking, which is most likely EA-3. This was the standard tire size for 3-speed "English Racer" tires. A proper replacement would be xx-590. These were super common BITD, but unfortunately harder to find now.

It might also be a 650a but these were much rarer back then. In any case, finding a proper replacement will start by finding a proper standard marking, then translating to ERTRO.

Last edited by FBinNY; 01-20-23 at 07:15 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 01-20-23, 06:14 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
common size for boom US 10 speeds 590 ISO, EA-3
Likes For dedhed:
Old 01-21-23, 07:26 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
The key for tires like that is to match that tire exactly with no substitutions. Get the most direct replacement you can. Don't change size or anything like that because frequently it may not fit right. Kenda is usually the modern go to for the bikes that had those odd sizes but check with your local shop and bring the old tires and wheels and have them double check. Find someone who knows the size and don't mention it as a 26" mention it as the ISO diameter only. 26" is the worst size ever because it is 3-5 sizes all different and a lot of folks don't know this especially if they are younger and haven't come across the other sizes or don't realize that 650B is another 26" size
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-21-23, 09:50 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
key is 26, in that diameter there are not a lot of tires narrower than 1 3/8, you can go larger than 1 3/8 , but you need to look at how much clearance there is for a larger tire both frame and brakes, some frames can go bigger some cannot amazon looks to be around 20 buck a tire
While 26 is key, so is the fractional width number. Tires with decimal width markings are different than tires with fractional width markings. If there is no ERTRO marking, the fractional width marking is your only clue.