Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Had a break in - lots of C&V stuff stolen

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-23, 05:03 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts

Trying to turn my garage into a "Garage Mahal" type of thing with new flooring and fresh paint, so i cleaned a few old bikes (and not so old bikes) and box after box filled with nice components was moved over to a small warehouse space i rent in an industrial complex

Its within a mile of where i live so i had no qualms about leaving the door open while i ferried stuff back and forth from my house, as the 16 ft tall overhead door is painful to open and close repeatedly.
That was last Sunday and nothing hapened then, but 2 days later the manager of the facility called me with the bad news

Had a break in and my unit was the only one targeted - so somebody drove by evidently when i was working on clean-up and said "hmmmm- possibly nice stuff in there, "

Literally had clear plastic tote bins stacked 6 high just like pictured below , -- filled with predominately Campagnolo 8 speed Ergopower build kits and individual components, -- a lot of Racing T stuff too

They left me one box full of Shimano stuff

all and all, the tally for cycling related stuff was a late model Yeti SB-95 mountain bike, C&V Marin gravel bike build, my '75 Raleigh Competition, a year old SE 29" BMX bike, plus a Vianelli frameset -- and 6 tote boxes full of Campy -- How did they know to leave the Shimano bio pace stuff behind? - LOL - but security cameras just showed a blurry image of a short bed half ton truck, so given this happened in the dead of night, it looks like they just probably started grabbing stuff and throwing it in the track as fast as they could

Lots of small lawn equipment gone -- weedeater, edger, gas powered post hole digger, plus a couple of soft side Yeti brand coolers and likely lots of other stuff i havent got sorted out yet

9 plastic totes like this in there and this is what they left me

just junk stripped off donor frames and the like

Not very thorough - this is an example of some of the stuff they left -- but i venture a guess that that 1/2 ton was loaded to the gills when they pulled out

There is a Litespeed in here, a sweet Santa Cruz dual suspension bike , and another couple of SE BMX bikes plus more lawn equipment, expensive coolers, kayaks and other things

But these are the bikes that are gone -- good grief -- they had to have just callously stacked them on top of each other

Likes For DMC707:
Old 01-29-23, 05:14 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,253 Posts
Sorry to hear this. I'm not laden with Italian parts but ask if you need something. Bollocks to the scumbags.
Likes For clubman:
Old 01-29-23, 05:16 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,569 Times in 3,767 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about this. Thieves suck.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 01-29-23, 05:19 PM
DMC707

Sadly

I am pretty dejected. I'm feeling "done" with this

Most of my completed projects i keep on display in a loft area over my garage, but i arrived home from the break in and was just tired of looking at them too --- Those plastic tote boxes of Campagnolo components were collected over the course of years -- many from the sale forum here, and hours painstakingly combing through the bay for deals on near NOS condition parts for future projects - just gone.

I have enough bikes to last me the rest of my life - and i've been spending most of my time lately on a an E-bike to boot. This event triggered something inside me that wanted to say "F-it" and haul the rest of these components and misfit framesets to the dump -- but i didnt and wont , so dont be surprised if i start offering up mystery boxes in the Sale forum for the cost of postage.

I hope this feeling passes, -- but if not, i'll just ride the darn Ebike into the sunset. Havent even really been very active in this forum since they kicked me out of P&R
Likes For DMC707:
Old 01-29-23, 05:21 PM
DMC707

Originally Posted by clubman
Sorry to hear this. I'm not laden with Italian parts but ask if you need something. Bollocks to the scumbags.
Thank you! I am still blessed with plenty (too much in fact) -- but it sounds cliche' to say it -- i feel a bit violated, like some unspoken trusting feeling i used to have is gone -- i hope it passes
Old 01-29-23, 05:26 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2434 Post(s)
Liked 3,108 Times in 1,957 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
Thank you! I am still blessed with plenty (too much in fact) -- but it sounds cliche' to say it -- i feel a bit violated, like some unspoken trusting feeling i used to have is gone -- i hope it passes
It will. It sucks in the short run but then opens different opportunities. Thieves do suck.

Was the unit insured?
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 01-29-23, 05:30 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Start checking ebay and Craigslist for your stolen gear.

Make a list. Report the theft to the police.
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 01-29-23, 05:36 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Sadly

I am pretty dejected. I'm feeling "done" with this

Most of my completed projects i keep on display in a loft area over my garage, but i arrived home from the break in and was just tired of looking at them too --- Those plastic tote boxes of Campagnolo components were collected over the course of years -- many from the sale forum here, and hours painstakingly combing through the bay for deals on near NOS condition parts for future projects - just gone.

I have enough bikes to last me the rest of my life - and i've been spending most of my time lately on a an E-bike to boot. This event triggered something inside me that wanted to say "F-it" and haul the rest of these components and misfit framesets to the dump -- but i didnt and wont , so dont be surprised if i start offering up mystery boxes in the Sale forum for the cost of postage.

I hope this feeling passes, -- but if not, i'll just ride the darn Ebike into the sunset. Havent even really been very active in this forum since they kicked me out of P&R
Sorry for your loss, I know it sucks bad.

My kid had half a dozen bikes stolen when he first started riding including a couple of mine and a couple pretty cool ones.

Half of them were truly not his fault.

Took after me as I had done the same when I was young.

Nothing is safe or sacred now days, thieves are more tech savvy, brazen, industrious, empowered, emboldened and just plain better at preying on us than ever.

I would ramp up security all the way around and not just for bikes, they could be watching anywhere and maybe at home too.

Hang in there and be vigilant regardless of continuing the bike deal.
Old 01-29-23, 05:44 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,903 Times in 1,137 Posts
I had something similar happen to me and I must say it is demoralizing, But you need to talk to your home owners insurance company and inquire about coverage. Mine covered about $11K when I had a fire to a storage facility. Good luck and remember Karma will come to those who have done this to you. Smiles, MH
Old 01-29-23, 05:58 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
Start checking ebay and Craigslist for your stolen gear.

Make a list. Report the theft to the police.
+1 to this. Those bikes are all unique. Good police detective work could sniff them out and maybe send do an undercover sting to re-buy the bikes if the thief tries to flip them.
Likes For masi61:
Old 01-29-23, 06:02 PM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 145 Posts
My condolences, I've also had my bikes ripped off. Check the local pawn shops as well as other resellers, and hopefully something will break (hopefully the bones of these scumbag thieves).
Old 01-29-23, 06:07 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
Had a break in and my unit was the only one targeted - so somebody drove by evidently when i was working on clean-up and said "hmmmm- possibly nice stuff in there, "

but security cameras just showed a blurry image of a short bed half ton truck,
I would ask if they could pull the video from the day you were moving things into the storage unit and see if a better view could be had of the pickup and thief possibly casing the place.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 01-29-23, 06:14 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
It sucks. I’m still keeping an eye out and sometimes believe I see it: 3 coats of primer and 3 coats of color, sanded in between coats, on an early 7Os Schwinn Cruiser stolen from the tree I hung it in to dry. That was 42 years ago.
Old 01-29-23, 07:33 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26394 Post(s)
Liked 10,367 Times in 7,198 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I would ask if they could pull the video from the day you were moving things into the storage unit and see if a better view could be had of the pickup and thief possibly casing the place.
https://www.videoforensicexpert.com/...video-quality/
Old 01-29-23, 07:40 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,938 Times in 1,763 Posts
Man that sucks, so sorry that happened to you.

I won't even go into what I think should happen to thieves and the others that prey on society. A lot of times the old ways were best.

Hopefully you do have some insurance coverage that helps.

Last edited by jamesdak; 01-29-23 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Cause I'm a freaking idiot that can't type at types. Jeesh!
Likes For jamesdak:
Old 01-29-23, 09:01 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 935 Posts
I'm so sorry- best wishes. Hopefully you can get insurance or some recovery of some sort.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 01-29-23, 09:19 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts

Crossing fingers that you're able to get your stuff back.
Old 01-29-23, 09:45 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I’m sorry, man. This sucks
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-29-23, 10:17 PM
Roypercy

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear this, man. Hope you can recover at least some of it.
Old 01-30-23, 02:11 AM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 215 Posts
Super bad news, sorry to hear.
Old 01-30-23, 05:40 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Bring back the gibbeting cage!
is it creepy that I know what means? Or bring back the oubliette.
Likes For Prowler:
Old 01-30-23, 01:03 PM
DMC707

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
It will. It sucks in the short run but then opens different opportunities. Thieves do suck.

Was the unit insured?

regrettably, no.

I was revamping my personal property (contents) insurance coverage at the time to include pow pows and my watch collection , as a standard homeowners policy only covers up to 2500 for items like that.

I was in the middle of documenting all of that stuff with serial numbers and detailed photographs when Hurricane Ian hit and i put everything on the back burner and went to work (insurance adjuster- go figure that i would be personally under insured)
Old 01-30-23, 01:06 PM
DMC707

Originally Posted by Chuck M
The owner of the facility that I keep my stuff that was angrier than me because this type of thing is bad for business

So he did exactly that and I had a description of the truck used, found it the next day and forwarded the tag information and address to the detective in charge. I drove past the area an hour later, and there were five squad cars there.

The detective had the photos of the bikes that I had on Imgur, but none of those items were at the guys house a day later.

As an aside, there was enough evidence of something to arrest him, because the squirrel took off on foot when he saw the police rolling up in the driveway

Was an eventful morning
Likes For DMC707:
Old 01-30-23, 01:16 PM
DMC707

Originally Posted by Prowler
is it creepy that I know what means? Or bring back the oubliette.
ouch! I had to look these up

I don’t even wish that on the guy - laughs

i’m getting softer as i age. Yes, I hate thieves and hate that I was targeted this time.

but it is also made me question whatever life choices bring a person to think that stealing other peoples stuff is a viable career choice.

This was not some sophisticated, Ocean’s Eleven, George Clooney looking dude planning a heist. This was a Tweaker living with his grandpa to boot.
Likes For DMC707:
Old 01-30-23, 01:23 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
I'll keep an eye out on the local for sale platforms. Glad you had pics of the bikes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.