Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Facebook for tourers

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Facebook for tourers

Old 01-29-23, 11:18 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 339 Posts
Facebook for tourers

I subscribed to a bike touring page a few months ago, just to see some interesting photos and read some stories about travels and such.
However, I need to stop reading the comments. People post things and I do not know if they are kidding around or seriously misinformed.
One guy attempted touring with a backpack and a single speed gravel bike and did nothing but complain about how hard it was and sore he got.
Someone else posted that packing your sleeping bag inside out will let you pack it smaller.
I don't know, maybe I'm too old for this %&$£
Old 01-30-23, 01:53 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Thank you for reminding me one more time how fortunate I am to have never opened a FB account, Twitter account, etc.
Old 01-30-23, 07:15 AM
HendersonD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Stick with sites like CycleBlaze which are much more informative, funny, and are loaded with people who tour and know touring
Old 01-30-23, 08:24 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
Someone else posted that packing your sleeping bag inside out will let you pack it smaller.
I reverse mine twice so it packs even smaller
Old 01-30-23, 08:45 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
I find Facebook to be a useless format for any serious discussion. If it is an active page any post will quickly disappear off the bottom and into oblivion never to be seen again.

Their system of [comment > reply > reply to reply, etc] with paragraph indentations is absurd. You might never find the most recent post when a topic has been bumped with a concealed [reply to reply] comment to someone other than yourself.

That said, I do participate in a BionX ebike group just to garner information and find parts for a discontinued product that I have. I don't maintain a FB page with personal info.
Old 01-30-23, 11:30 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 171 Posts
I tend to agree that as a discussion format, Facebook doesn't work as well for me as a discussion forum.

I have seen two instances where Facebook proved helpful.

The first was a closed group "Bike Touring Americas: Alaska to Patagonia". I believe this initially was a discussion list set up by people interested in the topic. However, as the principals completed their rides, eventually this became stale and was replaced by a Facebook Group. Where I've found it useful is someone posting a quick informational question e.g. "any experiences crossing the Peru/Ecuador border recently". All this took a hit with Covid but still helpful as a way of getting somewhat recent information. iOverlander is a different format to get sometimes similar information.

The other is a smaller closed group, "Riding Every Day in November"; that started as an informal challenge by a friend of mine to his cycling friends to challenge individuals to get out and ride - particularly in Pacific Northwest of US where many were based. This is relatively small and supportive group - where culture and perhaps moderators keeps it positive and supportive.
Old 01-30-23, 11:59 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,577 Posts
Facebook is like a portable Johnson that is full and hasn't been cleaned in months. At that point I would throw the whole thing out it cannot be saved. No amount of scrubbing and blue liquid will save it, it has been rotting and festering for too long.

I don't think there is really an amount of money that one could pay me to use Facebook. I would create an account for 1 million dollars but to actually use it I don't think there is anything that someone could do to make me use it.
Old 01-30-23, 02:47 PM
balto charlie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
FB is good for selling stuff, better than Craigslist