Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Nishiki Colorado Mountain Bicycle

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-08, 10:07 PM
FMSTER

Bikes: Nishiki Colorado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I am new to Bike Forum, and turned 50 last month. I had knee surgery in August, and have decided to take up biking for exercise and as a hobby. I haven't been on a bicycle in at least 35 years, but am eager to give it a try.

I was hoping someone could provide some information on a Nishiki Colorado bicycle I purchased in a garage sale. The bike shop I took it to indicated this was a pretty good bike in its day. As someone suggested, I am including some photos of the bike. The bike appears to have had minimal use and was just sitting in storage. I replaced the Nishiki seat with a padded shock absorbing seat. However, I kept the original seat in the event I ever wish to sell the bike.

Any information would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Nishiki Side View.jpg (45.5 KB, 339 views)
Nishiki Front View.jpg (35.4 KB, 241 views)
Nishiki Seat.jpg (86.8 KB, 230 views)
Serial Number.jpg (34.1 KB, 242 views)
Old 10-10-08, 06:35 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
The serial number is on the underside of the bottom bracket. Post that number with pics in the Classic & Vintage forum. They should be able to give you the rundown.

[EDIT] I see you've already posted there. [/EDIT]

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Likes For RonH:
Old 10-10-08, 07:45 AM
Spinz
TCR Advanced SL

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nishikis rock. I use to own and ride exclusively a 1987 Nishiki Modulus,Kawamura frame, 1986 Nishiki Tri-A,Kawamura framed as well. Excellent quality road bikes. Both had a great steel ride, responsive, not twitchy. Wish I still owned them.

Post the serial# along with photos of the components in the Classic and Vintage forum. If you can read the manfacturing codes on the components post them as well. T-Mar will get you the imformation you need. Be sure to look at the Nishikis in the Nishiki Serial Number Data Base that T-Mar is working on. Nice bike ------- Lp
Likes For Spinz:
Old 10-10-08, 10:23 AM
RoMad

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That looks like a nice bike. I had a Nishiki hybrid many years ago and it was a great bike. What type of riding are you planning on doing with it? Are you going to ride on rail trails, the roads, dirt roads?
Old 10-10-08, 11:10 AM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
That is the perfect bike to reenter the wonderful world of cycling. Be forewarned, it is highly addictive. I was in a position similar to yours just over a year ago. Since then I've logged almost 3,500 miles and am currently saving for bike # 4. And once you get some time in the saddle, you'll probably be switching back to the stock saddle (cushy really isn't better).
Likes For CACycling:
Old 10-10-08, 11:46 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
4130 main tubes indicates a decent, not high level frame. The handlebars and seat look like something aimed at a casual or entry level rider. I can't see the components well enough to identify them from the pictures. Can you show the other side with close up shots of the crank and derailleurs?

Although it does not look like a high end bike, it should make a fine starter bike. There are many ways to modify a bike like that to make it more comfortable or better suited to specific types for rider and uses. The new seat might be fine for short rides at first, but it will become a sore spot on longer rides where padding = pain.
Likes For BluesDawg:
Old 10-10-08, 12:59 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
There is a Nishiki Colorado that parks in the bike rack at my office; it's been converted to commuting work.

It's a nice, rugged steel frame. If you put on smooth "city" tires in place of the knobbies, and get the saddle and handlebars adjusted so that it fits you, you have a very serviceable, if slightly heavy, urban bike for commuting, bike paths, light gravel roads, etc. Add a rear rack and you can haul stuff to work or even do weekend tours; add fenders and you have a nice foul-weather bike.

If you end up really riding a lot, you may find yourself in a situation by next summer where you want to upgrade to something new/lighter/shinier.....in that case, the Nishiki makes a perfectly fine backup / bad weather bike.
Likes For BengeBoy:
Old 10-10-08, 02:15 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
It's a nice, rugged steel frame. If you put on smooth "city" tires in place of the knobbies, and get the saddle and handlebars adjusted so that it fits you, you have a very serviceable, if slightly heavy, urban bike for commuting, bike paths, light gravel roads, etc. Add a rear rack and you can haul stuff to work or even do weekend tours; add fenders and you have a nice foul-weather bike.
Careful!

If you do all that stuff you might develope OBTD (obsessive bike tinkerer's disease).

BengeBoy's got it. So do I.
Likes For Retro Grouch:
Old 10-10-08, 02:54 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Careful!

BengeBoy's got it. .
I've got it bad. My latest acquisition is a new portable heater so I can tinker on bikes all winter in the garage.

The Stumpjumper in my signature line is coming along nicely, by the way -- a few more parts arriving by mail in the next week and it may be ready for power coating.
Likes For BengeBoy:
Old 10-10-08, 03:14 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
You did good.
Thanks for the pics.
I started on a used Nishiki.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 10-10-08, 03:33 PM
FMSTER

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mostly bike trails for now. Thanks.
Old 10-10-08, 03:39 PM
FMSTER

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I may be able to swap out the seat since I just picked the bike up from the shop yesterday. Would you suggest something shaped more like the original in the photograph?

Thanks.
Old 10-10-08, 03:56 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by FMSTER
Thanks for the suggestions. I may be able to swap out the seat since I just picked the bike up from the shop yesterday. Would you suggest something shaped more like the original in the photograph?

Thanks.
Finding the right seat is kind of a hunt and peck thing. Just pick one that you think will match your tushie. If it doesn't feel right for any rason, don't be afraid to fool around with the tilt and front-to-back. If you feel you've given it a fair try and still don't like it, chalk it up to education and try something different.

When you find the seat that you think is "the one" go back immediately and buy another because, when the first one shoots craps, that exact model won't be available anymore.
Old 10-10-08, 05:28 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
It was a 1988 Nishiki Ariel that's responsible for me returning to cycling. I was messing around with a used X-mart bike for my son but just did not like the components when I ran into two used bikes at a garage sale. A Gary Fisher for my son and a Nishiki for me. Now I'm hooked with way too many bikes.
As for that very nice Colorado, it looks to be an early 1990's model. It looks like someone may have changed a few components, but make no mistake, the Colorado is all mountain bike. The Colorado was a mid-level mtb for Nishiki, but always in the top half of the line-up. I can usually nail down a later model Nishiki, but yours is the second one this week where I'm stumped to nail it down to an exact year.
If those are the original derailers we may have to read the two letter code on the back to determine the exact age of the bike. I'm not sure that the serial number database over on C&V can nail it down but it's worth a try. The component codes, if original will nail it down. T-Mar may be able to help as well.
Are there any scratches on that bike? If you get a chance take some photos in the sun and repost showing the drive train.
To read the component codes go to vintage-trek.com and click on the components bar on the left. I've used that site numerous times for the same information.
Old 10-10-08, 10:18 PM
FMSTER

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I posted information in the Classic and Vintage Forum, and T-Mar was able to determine that the bike is a "1985 model, manufactured by Giant, Taiwan". Upon closer inspection the frame is stamped "Taiwan", though the chrome stem just beneath the handle bars is stamped "Japan". The original saddle is stamped "Nishiki", but underneath says it was manufactured in Italy.
Old 01-14-22, 02:01 PM
jmue56

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nishiki Colorado

Originally Posted by FMSTER
Hello,

I am new to Bike Forum, and turned 50 last month. I had knee surgery in August, and have decided to take up biking for exercise and as a hobby. I haven't been on a bicycle in at least 35 years, but am eager to give it a try.

I was hoping someone could provide some information on a Nishiki Colorado bicycle I purchased in a garage sale. The bike shop I took it to indicated this was a pretty good bike in its day. As someone suggested, I am including some photos of the bike. The bike appears to have had minimal use and was just sitting in storage. I replaced the Nishiki seat with a padded shock absorbing seat. However, I kept the original seat in the event I ever wish to sell the bike.

Any information would be most appreciated.

Thanks
I biked the Pacific Coast in 1989...1561miles. Some time after that, my bike was stolen. For nostalgic reasons, I'd love to have one back. They thought I was crazy riding a mountain bike down the Pacific Coast Highways, but I made it!
I did replace knobby tires with smoother ones before the trip.
Any thoughts of selling already?
Likes For jmue56:
Old 01-14-22, 04:58 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
jmue56 The OP only posted 14 times over a period of 6 days more than 13 years ago. I suppose if you get them active here again, then you'll be doing a good thing. Otherwise just consider that many others of us feel that dredging up old zombie threads is not a desirable way for a noob to introduce themselves to the forum.

Welcome to BF though. If you are really interested in an old Nishiki you might get active in the more recent posts of the Classic & Vintage sub-forum and maybe express some interest knowing if any have clues about where you might find one.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-07-22, 02:07 PM
chancelucky

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
I had a 1988 or 1989 Nishiki Colorado that had been designed by Richard Cunningham. It handled really well, but was a very harsh ride, largely due to it having a straight steel fork and a mono top for the chain stay. This was just before suspension became the rage. They sold for about $360 more or less in the range of the Specialized Rockhopper. I think the component group was Shimano Exage 3x6 (lots of plastic, but it held up for many years). Shimano went away from the Cunningham frame design in the early 90's. This is a guess, but the Colorado I had was probably a better off road than it was on the street. Most of the people buying mountain bikes rarely took them off road., so they may have gone to a street friendlier design.