Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

70's Connecticut Framebuilder

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-09, 12:41 PM
DeDuva

Bikes: Crescent, Ciocc, Proflex, Moser, Marin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone know anything about a framebuilder that worked in Brookfield, CT back in the 70's and early 80's? I believe his first name was Fred and I recall that he had been on the 1936 German Olympic Bicycling team. He also used to ride occasionally in the Hartford Criterium. He made some beautiful frames, the first I had seen with the Moser-like top tube brake cable holes and I recall the built up bikes as having nice clean lines. I'm betting someone like Peter Weigle would know of him.
Old 11-11-09, 02:19 PM
e-RICHIE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 10 Posts
fred krancher (sp?).
Old 11-11-09, 03:35 PM
DeDuva

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, that sounds right. Do you know what he used as the marque on his bikes? Thanks for the name, it has been bugging me for a while.
Old 11-11-09, 09:12 PM
Cyclist0094
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't know him personally but I knew of him, A guy I used to ride with frequently a few years ago owned two of his bikes, I think he said Fred died some years ago.
Old 11-12-09, 01:47 PM
DeDuva

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fred Karcher

Yes, that appears to be correct. I had kind of assumed as much given his age. Notice of death (along with this SS#) came up when I googled him. I hope I run into his bikes again someday, I'm curious to see if my 18 year old tastes align with those I have now. Thanks to you for the info, too. If you get another free moment, I'd be interested to know if you saw your friend's Karcher frames and what you thought of them.
Old 06-12-13, 12:00 AM
zippy2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fred Krancher

Originally Posted by DeDuva
I hope I run into his bikes again someday, I'm curious to see if my 18 year old tastes align with those I have now.
Fred sold me my very first bike! His wife came outside and taught me how to shift – "keep paddling!" (Fred and his wife both had thick German accents despite living in the US since the 1950s). I totally loved them and their shop, and went back whenever I was in the area.

At least one of their daughters also worked in the shop painting details on bikes to be sold. The shop was near the four corners of Brookfield in the 1970s and 80s (maybe earlier too), and Fred had a welding shop across the street.

He specialized in making extremely lightweight but strong racing bikes from Reynolds tubing when I talked to him about bike frames in the mid-80s. He said that in order to get the tubing from Reynolds, they would send you some, and you'd have to send back a sample weld so they could QA it before letting you build a frame. The tubing had very thin walls and was a pain to weld, was my understanding.
Old 06-12-13, 07:58 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Originally Posted by zippy2
He specialized in making extremely lightweight but strong racing bikes from Reynolds tubing when I talked to him about bike frames in the mid-80s. He said that in order to get the tubing from Reynolds, they would send you some, and you'd have to send back a sample weld so they could QA it before letting you build a frame. The tubing had very thin walls and was a pain to weld, was my understanding.
That must have been 753 tubing. Reynolds wanted to be sure that the builder could join the tubes without compromising the heat treatment that gave the tubing its strength. 531 tubing had no such requirement.
Old 12-29-22, 09:40 AM
cob666

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zippy2
Fred sold me my very first bike! His wife came outside and taught me how to shift – "keep paddling!" (Fred and his wife both had thick German accents despite living in the US since the 1950s). I totally loved them and their shop, and went back whenever I was in the area.

At least one of their daughters also worked in the shop painting details on bikes to be sold. The shop was near the four corners of Brookfield in the 1970s and 80s (maybe earlier too), and Fred had a welding shop across the street.

Sorry for resurrecting this zombie thread...

Yes, that would be Fred Krancher and his daughter did work at his shop for a while, she's my wife now. Fred and Johanna had one daughter and one son. Both Fred and Johanna passed away quite a while ago but his son still has (or at least DID have) at least one of Fred's bike frames in storage.

I might be able to get more information if anyone is interested...
Old 01-03-23, 11:10 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
Well, that is a great way to resurrect an old thread @cob666 . If fact you can't get more to the source than "she's my wife now".
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 01-04-23, 08:55 AM
cob666

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Well, that is a great way to resurrect an old thread @cob666 . If fact you can't get more to the source than "she's my wife now".
Haha
Did a little digging and the son has several of Fred’s frames and bikes, as well as a lot of his tools in storage. Including a bike with custom dimensions that was made for his daughter, which she said she grew out of a while ago. She now has a nice custom IF frame that was made when they were still in the Boston area.
Old 01-04-23, 10:51 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
If Fred's son (and daughter) were interested in seeing the tools back in use they might make some budding builder very happy. Andy
Old 01-12-23, 06:36 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 1,814 Times in 661 Posts
no one ever answered the question, what was the name on the frames?