Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How old is Vintage, and where the bar for Classic?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How old is Vintage, and where the bar for Classic?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-19, 12:49 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
I wonder what my 12 year old classic Denali that has been artfully displayed in my den for all of its 12 years is worth?
Worth riding maybe? It's a bike.
Old 09-16-19, 01:09 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
"Old" is a pejorative word?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-16-19, 01:12 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
The C&V forum is a pretty good place because we don't have a lot of people like you trying to stir the pot with posts like this when you obviously know better.
Are you saying my Nashbar bike will never make the cut either?
Old 09-16-19, 01:14 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I just realized that my original commuter bike is about 12 years old now, and since it's the first bike I purchased personally I'm still fond of it. Is that old enough to be "vintage"? Can I call it a "classic" GMC Denali?
Only is a separate forum for "BSO objects POC (piece o crap) sub-genere with to0 many posts over the years for what it is worth and who got the bananas idea to split the handle bars to put twist shifters on"

Old 09-16-19, 01:15 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Are you saying my Nashbar bike will never make the cut either?
You are being a jerk. Why are you doing this? Is this how you plan to recuperate from intensive care? I'll bet there are are better ways for you to get better.
Old 09-16-19, 01:18 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by squirtdad
Only is a separate forum for "BSO objects POC (piece o crap) sub-genere with to0 many posts over the years for what it is worth and who got the bananas idea to split the handle bars to put twist shifters on"
Split bars and twist shifters off, for years now. Also the creaky, hefty bottom bracket. That doesn't degrade the classic appeal I hope.
Old 09-16-19, 01:19 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by bikemig
You are being a jerk. Why are you doing this? Is this how you plan to recuperate from intensive care? I'll bet there are are better ways for you to get better.
I've been riding my bikes, running and going to the gym to get better. Why are you attacking me?
Old 09-16-19, 01:23 PM
wphamilton

Serious question: do some of you feel like it demeans your hobby to suggest that any old bike is a classic?
Old 09-16-19, 01:24 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Split bars and twist shifters off, for years now. Also the creaky, hefty bottom bracket. That doesn't degrade the classic appeal I hope.
@wphamilton you should get with @hotbikes and do a design collaboration with you denali and his forward thinking designs, especially fairings...... the man is a coroplast genius this could only improve the appeal..... I have no doubt hotbikes will show some examples

Old 09-16-19, 01:25 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Vintage: Jacques Anquetil rode it.

Classic: Same model bike Anquetil rode. I can't afford it.

Cult Classic: Gas pipe knockoff Anquetil I can afford. Will convert to beach bike with swept bars, basket, squeeze bulb horn and bar end tassels.
Old 09-16-19, 02:03 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Serious question: do some of you feel like it demeans your hobby to suggest that any old bike is a classic?
No. Many people come here because of a nostalgic urge to bring their old bike back to life. It doesn't matter if it's collectable or not. Rare maybe, try finding 70's Hawthorne bike. Not much love for those either. I looked at these for a bit on my first road bike...
Old 09-16-19, 02:21 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
I think the biggest problem here is that many of the responders don't know you and so don't know whether you are serious or not.

To answer your question directly and honestly, 12 years old generally isn't enough for the regulars here to consider it vintage. As someone said earlier, 25 years is a common mark when a number is pushed for but generally it's more about the characteristics.

I'd use an analogy to music. Classic rock will never become oldies no matter how old it gets because that's a different style. Similarly new music doesn't become classic rock just by getting old.

There is a certain sense in which your Denali will eventually be regarded as an interesting old bike, but it will be similar to the way Huffy Aerowinds are now viewed by the C&V crowd -- an interesting historic footnote and maybe worth a place in an eccentric collection, but not really worth restoring.
Likes For Andy_K:
Old 09-16-19, 02:35 PM
littlevikingca

Bikes: Kona Sutra, BMC SLX-01, BMC CX-1, Ridley Fenix, Claud Butler European, '50's Humber Roadster, '53 Rudge Pathfnder, '94 Trek 930, '48 Rochet Super Special, 60's A. Boisis "demi-course"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Re: the Eroica 1987 date:

My understanding is that the 1987 cut-off has to do with the transition from friction to indexed shifting . Since the Eroica event started in Italy, the introduction of the Campagnolo Syncro indexed shifting in 1987 probably takes precedence over the Shimano indexed systems (introduced earlier) as the "benchmark" date.
Old 09-16-19, 02:50 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Yes, I think 25 years is often used as a starting point in discussion of vintage or classic cars and bicycles. All of my bicycles qualify, and if I can successfully replace the fried power window wiring in my 1996 Audi A4, it should qualify, as well, at least in another year or two. (Inaugural year in the U.S., the car that saved Audi from oblivion after the unintended acceleration mess.)
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-16-19, 02:53 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by Andy_K
I think the biggest problem here is that many of the responders don't know you and so don't know whether you are serious or not.

To answer your question directly and honestly, 12 years old generally isn't enough for the regulars here to consider it vintage. As someone said earlier, 25 years is a common mark when a number is pushed for but generally it's more about the characteristics.
Rats. It will have to become a family heirloom then, and the next generation can enjoy it as a vintage classic.

to the way Huffy Aerowinds are now viewed by the C&V crowd -- an interesting historic footnote and maybe worth a place in an eccentric collection, but not really worth restoring.
Not a problem, a Denali should not be "restored" to a less rideable state anyway.
Old 09-16-19, 03:17 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Old 09-16-19, 03:29 PM
Andy_K 

Not a problem, a Denali should not be "restored" to a less rideable state anyway.
Well, that's another can of worms on this board -- whether a vintage bike should be restored to original specs or built in a way that makes it most useful to the current owner. I lean toward the latter, but it's against the usual ethos of C&V. I know you've put a lot of time and care into your Denali and made it into the bike you want it to be. Often a similar treatment can be detected in older bikes (such as finding SunTour components on frames that originally came with *ahem* less functional components). Many purists like to revert these to their original state, but there is a large contingent that respect the authenticity of this being what real owners would have done "back in the day." It will be an interesting discussion with "surviving" Denalis 10-20 years from now. I suspect most that escape the junkyard will have been customized as your has been, but a "like new" survivor with all the original components will be quite a curiosity, particularly since a few of those components (like the shifters) just aren't seen on any other bike.
Old 09-16-19, 03:31 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
About 5 of them in C&V.

First it's "meh, could have been worse" after I got out of intensive care, and now making fun of my bike. Even thick-skins like me can get their feelings hurt eventually.

But I'm patient. If my Denali doesn't cut it for C&V, I'll wait another 10 years and maybe my Nashbar bike will be up to it.
i've never said a Denali from 2007 wasn't a very rideable and serviceable bike.
Another above said 'properly set up, a decent bike' - and i agree.
i've often advocated (gently) for an 8\9\10 Forum.
(isn't there a Single Speed or Fixed Forum???)
Owners of those bikes (mechanical brifters with rim brakes) get offended by folks in Road and C&V concurrently.
That's meee, toooo.

Campy 9/10 sneered and smeared by many.
Brakes that never failed me - ridiculed.
Maybe the Recently Obsoleted Forum.
I have CF+Ti+ new steel with 10speed (brifters) and feel they are just out of date at this point; certainly not vintage and classic is too nebulous to be meaningful across the anon interwebs.

Don't jump to conclusions.
Please.
I think you were previously offended by a comment misinterpreted.
Ride On!

Last edited by Wildwood; 09-16-19 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-16-19, 03:34 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Maybe the Recently Obsoleted Forum.
I like it! I'm a bit "recently obsoleted" myself -- not yet vintage but definitely not state-of-the-art.
Old 09-16-19, 03:53 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Since there are always multiple versions of Truth....

a better question might be:

Do any of you folks with old bikes that started as cheaply manufactured and poorly assembled bikes really care if it is thought of as a rideable old bike instead of C&V?

edit: I own a city bike, beach cruiser and 24" + 20" bmx's - never be C&V, just old and rideable bikes. My expensive custom tandem has a softride beam for the stoker - so not a 'classic' design (no matter the $$$ involved).

time to go ride for me.

Last edited by Wildwood; 09-16-19 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-16-19, 04:56 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
If you want to post your bike - post it...you’ve been around long enough to know the deal. If someone wants to talk about it, they will. If not, they won’t. You know the standard for “vintage” is commonly 25 years, or 1983. You know that very few people will be interested in that bike here. You also know that if you post it, no one will complain..r likely care. We’ve had countless define c/v threads.

Post your bike. Or don’t. I think I speak for most when I say few will care either way.

No one here will complain if you post that, or any other bike, here...but you also don’t get to be upset if no one is interested.
Old 09-16-19, 05:15 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,375 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
holy cow... my first 10 speed, a very humble Montgomery Wards lugged beasty had those stem shifters!

I think I had that bike for a couple of years before I replaced it with a much lighter used Sekine with SunTour derailleurs & down tube shifters and silk sew-ups! The Sekine must have been 8 pounds lighter, and going from 70 psi crappy clinchers to silk sew-ups... it was an enormous change! I don't think I've experienced that big of a difference since then.

Steve in Peoria
(and no, the Montgomery Wards bike might become vintage, but it will never be a classic, IMHO)
Old 09-16-19, 05:42 PM
wphamilton

for the doubters a pic from a few years back. It looks somewhat different now.

https://www.bikeforums.net/18644067-post15.html
Old 09-16-19, 05:47 PM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Ok guys please keep it civil.
Old 09-16-19, 06:24 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,690 Times in 2,610 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
"Old" is a pejorative word?
I think “pejorative” is a pejorative word.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.