Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New helmet recommendations?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New helmet recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-21, 04:44 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Most testing doesn't (AFAIK) incorporate fatigue or over-heating impacts on statistical likelihood of contributing to an accident. You could opt for a full coverage motorcycle helmet of course if the criteria is impact protection when in an accident. Perhaps more looking should be done at what helps preventing getting in the accident in the first place.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 08-19-21, 09:12 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
BTW, regarding POC helmets, be sure to try them on in person, or buy online from a seller with return/exchange rights. Owners differ on sizing, including between models. My head is 59cm, on the margin between medium and large, depending on the helmet maker's sizing system.

The Bell Formula MIPS in medium is labeled 55-59 and fits me perfectly.

I bought the POC Omne Air SPIN in large, based on comments from other POC owners that their size medium Octal and Ventral were too small. But in my case the Omne was slightly too large, although it fits fine with knit caps for winter use. In this case I should have bought the Omne in medium. The large is labeled 56-61cm. It's also heavier than the medium, and the POC Omne is already a fairly heavy helmet.

But I bought the Catlike Mixino marked medium, and it's way too small. It's even sized in what would be small with other makers, 55-57, with zero wiggle room for anything larger than 57.
Old 08-23-21, 06:53 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
My advice is to do a lot of fitment trials. There are a lot of really good helmets at various prices. I'm currently using 2 Rudy Project helmets and I like them a lot. But, you are just going to have to find what works for you.
Old 08-25-21, 12:43 PM
Pulse_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
BTW, regarding POC helmets, be sure to try them on in person, or buy online from a seller with return/exchange rights. Owners differ on sizing, including between models. My head is 59cm, on the margin between medium and large, depending on the helmet maker's sizing system.

The Bell Formula MIPS in medium is labeled 55-59 and fits me perfectly.

I bought the POC Omne Air SPIN in large, based on comments from other POC owners that their size medium Octal and Ventral were too small. But in my case the Omne was slightly too large, although it fits fine with knit caps for winter use. In this case I should have bought the Omne in medium. The large is labeled 56-61cm. It's also heavier than the medium, and the POC Omne is already a fairly heavy helmet.

But I bought the Catlike Mixino marked medium, and it's way too small. It's even sized in what would be small with other makers, 55-57, with zero wiggle room for anything larger than 57.
It's exactly what I did. I ordered the same helmet in 2 different sizes and colors. In theory I should have went with the L. In reality, the M fits me (much) better. So yes, helmets need to be tried for sure. I had the same approach with my road bike actually: I bought it in 2 sizes and sent the biggest one back.

As you can see I chose to go with the POC Octal MIPS. I'll keep the white version in size M. It's 100g lighter (230g) than my previous helmet which you can see on the picture aswell (Van Rysel from Decathlon). The difference while riding is massive. First, the aeration. It's on another level. Before I had sweat drops on my forehead. Not anymore. I feel the wind in my hairs now, which is awesome too. The fit is perfect for me (oval shaped head). I had neck pain also and it's not the case anymore. A 100g difference doesn't sound like much but trust me, it makes a huge difference in comfort. This helmet really is well made too, the assembly is top notch. And to top it off it was on sale . I know many people don't like it's design but I like it a lot, it's distinctive. So for now I'm super pleased! I just need to send the others back now

Last edited by Pulse_; 08-25-21 at 12:50 PM.
Likes For Pulse_:
Old 08-26-21, 06:23 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
I have a Lazer Genesis (G1) MIPS which ticks all the boxes for safety, low weight and good ventilation. It's less of a mushroom head than most too, which is a bonus!
Old 08-26-21, 06:46 AM
Pulse_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I have a Lazer Genesis (G1) MIPS which ticks all the boxes for safety, low weight and good ventilation. It's less of a mushroom head than most too, which is a bonus!
It was my first choice. It's especially recommended for oval shaped heads too and got great results in crash tests (Virginia Tech). The only thing is it's 75€ more expensive than the Octal MIPS which is very similar in weight/ performance.
Old 08-26-21, 09:37 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Pulse_
It was my first choice. It's especially recommended for oval shaped heads too and got great results in crash tests (Virginia Tech). The only thing is it's 75€ more expensive than the Octal MIPS which is very similar in weight/ performance.
Choose the one that fits your head best. That should be the decider. 75 euros is nothing when talking about head protection. I tried both POC and Lazer helmets and found that the Lazer fitted me much better. My head is fairly oval in shape, certainly not round! It's always best if a helmet fits nicely all around your head without having to crank up the retaining system too much.
Old 08-30-21, 11:37 AM
Vitma

Bikes: Emonda, 79/80 Colnago Super, early 80s Eddy Merckx, end 70/beginning 80s Somec Super Corsa, Santa Cruz Bronson

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I got this one too and am very happy with it. I also got the Aeroshell which is a nice snap-on for the colder days.
Old 08-30-21, 01:56 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Vitma
I got this one too and am very happy with it. I also got the Aeroshell which is a nice snap-on for the colder days.
That's not a bad idea, I'd forgotten about the aeroshell. I might pick one up for colder rides.