Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Swapping Out Groupset on '73 Schwinn Super Sport

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Swapping Out Groupset on '73 Schwinn Super Sport

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-17, 09:58 PM
Metacortex

Bikes: Fillet-brazed Schwinns

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by BocaJr
The current conversion spindle listed now on ebay is for a 137mm spindle. Will this one still work on the Super Sport? The conversion spindle was referenced above as being 128mm, but maybe this was for an older/expired ebay listing.
All I can say is that the Schwinn specified conversion spindle for a double plateau JIS taper crank was 128mm. I've seen them made by Shimano and SR. The longer one may be good for a triple?
Old 09-13-17, 10:26 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 267 Posts
"I'm not sure of what a cartridge-type spindle is, however"

Most newer bicycles use cartridge bottom brackets, which are modular assemblies. These are normally not adjustable or serviceable; but intended to be replaced as a unit when the bearings become worn out or contaminated. Cartridge bottom brackets are much cleaner and easier to work on than cup-and-cone bottom brackets -- grease and bearing balls are entirely enclosed inside the sealed cartridge.

The older style is a cup and cone plus bearings and spindle assembly. They can be cleaned, lubed and adjusted. Don

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 09-13-17 at 10:42 PM. Reason: add quote and info
Old 09-15-17, 10:54 AM
cqlink 

Bikes: '72 Paramount 15-9, '74 Schwinn Paramount P10-9, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, 1983 Schwinn Voyageur SP,17 Motobecane Cafe Noir, 1970 Raleigh Competition Tourist, 1999 Rans V-Rex

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 45 Posts
Thanks again all,

To make this a bit easier, I like the chrome adapter presented by Bianchigirl. Having said that, knowing I'm using a '73 SS frame, can anyone simply suggest, or point out on eBay, a reasonably priced crankset and spindle/ BB that will work on my bike with that adaptor?

I'd like to stay with a double but a triple isn't out of the question. I think I'll have a better understanding by looking at the parts and going through the install process.
Old 09-18-17, 12:17 PM
cqlink 

Bikes: '72 Paramount 15-9, '74 Schwinn Paramount P10-9, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, 1983 Schwinn Voyageur SP,17 Motobecane Cafe Noir, 1970 Raleigh Competition Tourist, 1999 Rans V-Rex

Update. I bought a Dura Ace FC7200 crankset with pedals from fellow member LarryBSky and Mr. Larry and the kind folks at Harris Cyclery identified the correct cartridge spindle: Shimano BB-UN55 (107mm spindle length). It looks like I'll need to use the TruVativ adapter (does anyone know if they make one with a chrome finish?)

I picked up the Park Tool BB installer/ remover as well.

I pulled the Ashtabula off the SS. Can anyone tell me if I need to punch out the old cups on the frame shell?

Thank again to all for your help!
Old 09-19-17, 11:11 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by cqlink
Update. I bought a Dura Ace FC7200 crankset with pedals from fellow member LarryBSky and Mr. Larry and the kind folks at Harris Cyclery identified the correct cartridge spindle: Shimano BB-UN55 (107mm spindle length). It looks like I'll need to use the TruVativ adapter (does anyone know if they make one with a chrome finish?)

I pulled the Ashtabula off the SS. Can anyone tell me if I need to punch out the old cups on the frame shell?

Yes, you will need to pop out the old cups. A blunt punch from the inside should do the trick. I'm not aware of any chrome plated adapters, but the bare aluminum ones can be polished to an appearance that's close to chrome.
Old 07-30-19, 01:59 PM
teamtarrant1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi there! I'm in the exact same build spot as you were here. Mind if I ask how much the crankset was?

How'd the finished project turn out here? Happy with everything? Worth the trouble?
Old 07-31-19, 07:48 AM
cqlink 

Originally Posted by teamtarrant1
Hi there! I'm in the exact same build spot as you were here. Mind if I ask how much the crankset was?

How'd the finished project turn out here? Happy with everything? Worth the trouble?
Can't recall the price but I got a great deal. The end result was TOTAL overkill on my end but I always liked that frame and went way over budget on the build.

Here's a few pics:

Likes For cqlink:
Old 07-31-19, 07:52 AM
cqlink 

Which reminds me...I'm going to start a thread on builds that make absolutely NO financial or labor sense. I know there are plenty others out there that have $600 into a bike that's likely worth $200 in today's market!

The $600 doesn't include beer cost either!
Likes For cqlink:
Old 07-31-19, 09:39 AM
mtarrant05

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Which reminds me...I'm going to start a thread on builds that make absolutely NO financial or labor sense. I know there are plenty others out there that have $600 into a bike that's likely worth $200 in today's market!

The $600 doesn't include beer cost either!
Haha! Beautiful ride man. Love that Blue. In great condition.