Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

So now I got to repair a Broken rear derailleur

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-02-19, 01:27 PM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts

I've been riding strictly singlespeed for the best part of the last two decades, and one of the reasons is because I hated troubleshooting derailleurs. But now my son broke his 1x8 speed bike (actually his friend) and so I must try to troubleshoot and repair the mess.

HOW IT HAPPENED
His friend changed speed from standstill and then stepped on the pedal. After some cracking he rode the bike, but after this the highest speed the chain on the largest sprocket) wouldn't work well at all.

THE SITUATION NOW
- the chain would fall off the largest sprocket and onto the inside, between the sprocket and the spokes. Also, the derailleur is hitting the spokes.

WHAT I TRIED
I tried to play with the cable's tension by turning the tensioning nut. I achieved that the chain would now stay on the largest sprocket, for the most part (though it does fall inside from time to time when going from 2 to 1). HOWEVER, now speed 8 is f*cked - the chain never goes onto the smallest sprocket. It stays on the next-to-smallest.
Likes For wroomwroomoops:
Old 08-02-19, 02:20 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
the hanger is bent. You need to straighten or buy a new hanger
Likes For redlude97:
Old 08-02-19, 02:37 PM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
To solve the issue with the chain going behind the largest sprocket you need to adjust the limiter screw, not the cable tensioner. However, if the problem arose suddenly after the event you described, it is a sure sign something got bent - most probably the derailleur hanger, as it is the weakest part (by design). Look up some tutorials on youtube, there are plenty of them.
Old 08-02-19, 03:30 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Another vote for a bent der hanger.
Old 08-02-19, 05:14 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Cuss at it some more and louder
Old 08-03-19, 12:04 AM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

Originally Posted by redlude97
the hanger is bent. You need to straighten or buy a new hanger
Thanks. I vaguely remember that this issue would require some special tool.
Old 08-03-19, 02:27 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 235 Posts
Originally Posted by wroomwroomoops
Thanks. I vaguely remember that this issue would require some special tool.
Ideally you'd use a derailleur hanger alignment tool, and for modern, higher end drivetrains it's pretty much necessary to get good shift performance, but on a kid's 1x8 you will likely get acceptable results using an adjustable wrench or similar to bend it visibly straight and adjust it. Check that the derailleur tracks parallel to the cassette. Or bring it to a shop--should be about 10-15 minutes labor. If it's really bent be aware it may break bending it back.
Likes For cpach:
Old 08-03-19, 06:48 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach
Ideally you'd use a derailleur hanger alignment tool, and for modern, higher end drivetrains it's pretty much necessary to get good shift performance, but on a kid's 1x8 you will likely get acceptable results using an adjustable wrench or similar to bend it visibly straight and adjust it. Check that the derailleur tracks parallel to the cassette. Or bring it to a shop--should be about 10-15 minutes labor. If it's really bent be aware it may break bending it back.
Or take advantage of the expertise at your local co-op, if you are lucky enough to have one local to you.
Old 08-03-19, 09:52 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Just make sure there's not a twisted spot in the chain too.
Old 08-03-19, 10:31 AM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

Thanks. I was going through the options in my head, and I decided that the one with a high enough chance of success in spite of my really poor eyes (I could never be able to eyeball if something is parallel to something else with sufficient accuracy) is to get a new derailleur hanger. I have identified the type I need, and if I could replace it, I assume I wouldn't need any special tool - the derailleur hanger should be straight out of the box.

The only remaining question, and you'll excuse me if it sounds obtuse, is this: if I recall correctly from back in the days when I had to deal with deraileurs (20 years ago, as I mentioned), if I want to remove and then reattach a rear derailleur, I do NOT need to detach, or otherwise mess with, the shifter cable. Am I correct? If I am wrong, what is the simplest procedure to follow so I have the least amount of adjusting to do?
Old 08-03-19, 10:33 AM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

Or bring it to a shop--should be about 10-15 minutes labor. If it's really bent be aware it may break bending it back.
Sadly, in this north-European country the bikeshops are both very expensive AND very slow - I was told I'd have to leave the bike for 3-4 days. Which, during these really excellent sunny days, seems like cruel punishment.
Old 08-03-19, 01:21 PM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
No, detaching the shifter cable isn't necessary. But since you already tried to adjust it, some re-adjusting will likely be needed after the hanger replacement.
Old 08-04-19, 06:15 AM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

Originally Posted by subgrade
No, detaching the shifter cable isn't necessary. But since you already tried to adjust it, some re-adjusting will likely be needed after the hanger replacement.
You are right, I tried to play with the cable tension.

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-05-19, 10:48 AM
RoCou

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wroomwroomoops
Sadly, in this north-European country the bikeshops are both very expensive AND very slow - I was told I'd have to leave the bike for 3-4 days. Which, during these really excellent sunny days, seems like cruel punishment.
That's how I ended up buying a Park DAG. The price of the tool is pretty much in line with shop cost + transport to the shop + aggravation of waiting hours/days.
Old 08-21-19, 10:55 AM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

Hey guys, I fixed it! I finally got the part (from Hong Kong - may they have courage and persistence, the brave souls) and replaced the bent derailleur hanger with the new one. I didn't detach the cable from the derailleur during the operation, which made things somewhat unpleasant, but I had my son help as a third hand.

After playing a bit with the cable tension, I have the machine working perfectly, except the switching seems slower than before. We can reach all speeds, including 1 and 8, just the response to the click-shifter seems delayed somewhat. Still, I'm over the moon that I managed to repair this derailleur issue.

Thanks all for your help!
Likes For wroomwroomoops: