Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Just got me some fancy new gloves! MAAP Pro Race Mitts

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Just got me some fancy new gloves! MAAP Pro Race Mitts

Old 09-08-21, 05:53 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Yes, you are absolutely right. I did post it in the Bike Mechanics sub-forum.

That was 6 months ago and you didn’t post to that thread, so I appreciate having a fan out there. But if you want to show real devotion, you need to go back further, as I’m sure there are other threads from years gone by that I have started. I think there were a couple of freehub body swaps in mid-2020. I hope that helps. I don’t want you to spend too much time on it.

But I digress, I probably should have titled it “Look at My Fancy Spin Doctor Chain Whip and Rope”. Maybe wear a Luminox for effect.

John
Uh oh.
An angry hypocrite.
Who knew that wearing a watch while taking a pic could elicit such angst
Old 09-08-21, 06:32 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Hypocrisy and a cardinal sin both! This cat is really going all in on the shameful sh*t just over a glove review! Usually folks save that kind of stuff for the big game, like Shimano vs. Campagnolo threads… haha!
Likes For chaadster:
Old 09-08-21, 10:18 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
If they fit well and are well-made, I wouldn't blanch at paying $75 for a pair of cycling gloves. But I'd feel better about it if they actually called them 'gloves' rather than 'mitts.'
Old 09-08-21, 10:33 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
If they fit well and are well-made, I wouldn't blanch at paying $75 for a pair of cycling gloves. But I'd feel better about it if they actually called them 'gloves' rather than 'mitts.'
European cycling idiosyncrasy - full-finger are typically "gloves" where fingerless are typically "mitts."
Old 09-08-21, 10:40 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
European cycling idiosyncrasy - full-finger are typically "gloves" where fingerless are typically "mitts."
No. Just no.

They are fingerless gloves.

Mitts are something that little kids wear in the winter.
Old 09-08-21, 10:45 AM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 108 Posts
I appreciate that the OP didn't stop at first impressions, but followed up after a 65 mile ride with these.

I am hoping to read a 6-month or 12-month follow-up some day letting us know how these have held up.
Likes For John Valuk:
Old 09-08-21, 10:47 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 840 Times in 407 Posts
I'm glad you posted this, it's useful to me. I'm about to replace some Chiba glove-mitts I really like, getting harder to find.
(Approved by the anti-snark post control bureau)
Old 09-08-21, 10:50 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
No. Just no.

Okay.

I mean, you're wrong, but okay.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-08-21, 11:01 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Originally Posted by John Valuk
I appreciate that the OP didn't stop at first impressions, but followed up after a 65 mile ride with these.

I am hoping to read a 6-month or 12-month follow-up some day letting us know how these have held up.
You’re welcome, and I’ll try to do that! It’s true that things start to happen over time, like seams start to unravel and colors fade, so long term reports are nice…particularly when spending at this price level. It’ll probably be awhile before I can do that, though, since it’s coming into cool weather, then winter, and the short-finger gloves will be going away for the season soon.
Old 09-09-21, 03:56 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
No. Just no.

And adults wear cross-country skiing in Fall, Winter and Spring.

I also have "lobster" mitts for bicycling.
Old 09-13-21, 08:05 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
As a religious glove user who has never found the holy grail of gloves, when I learned of the EIT palm tech, I was intrigued, but put off by the cost of the gloves. I couldn’t stop looking, however, and finally decided to just for it with a pair of MAAP Pro Race Mitts.

It was a little tough to figure out which of the EIT pads were being used by each manufacturer, but MAAP seemed to have not only a prime pad, but the best feature set and styling, so that’s why I chose them.

The construction and feel of these seems really nice, and that they’re different from any other glove I’ve used was apparent as soon as I pulled them on. The palm feels both contoured and moves without any restrictiveness, I guess it’s because it’s one piece, but also the elasticity of the palm material. The topside seams are all solid and well finished.

Besides the trick palm, I like the mesh panels between the fingers and the absorbent material across the thumb. It’s not terry thick, but seems a fabric more absorbent than which is used across the rest of the back. There’s also padding between the thumb and index finger, so should be nice for hanging on the hoods.

I did a short ride on a flat bar today, and the gloves were choice! There were no hotspots, and I could not feel where the padding was or was not, so it felt uniform and comfy. It was just under 80° today, so not hot enough to evaluate coolness of the gloves, bit they felt great on a short, 5 mile outing.

I know it’s too early to make pronouncements, bit I was immediately impressed by these and wanted to share my excitement. I take them out for a 100k gravel ride on Sunday, the Winnewana here in Ann Arbor, so will have a better sense of they perform from that. But, if you’ve been thinking about trying this new Elastic Interface tech out, I’d say go for it!

love me some nice gloves but thats crazy coin for gloves
i enjoy riding sans gloveys at times as well...i have nice juicey wrap...lizard stuff....
Old 09-13-21, 10:01 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by thehammerdog
love me some nice gloves but thats crazy coin for gloves
i enjoy riding sans gloveys at times as well...i have nice juicey wrap...lizard stuff....
Yeah, the Lizard Skins tape is nice n’ plush! I used both the thick 3.2mm and 2.5mm stuff for years, but have moved away from it recently, primarily just to get a new color and look, although the white was yellowing really quickly from winter use on the trainer, I suppose because I don’t wear gloves in that situation and my perspiration was killing the tape.

And yes, these are expensive, I reckon about 2x what I’d pay for a pair of crappy gloves at the LBS. These are much better than any of the Pearl Izumi or Giro gloves I’ve gotten at $35, and since I almost always wear gloves, the extra spend is justifiable to me…provided these are also reasonably durable.
Likes For chaadster: