Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

It just doesnt make any sense

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

It just doesnt make any sense

Old 11-04-21, 07:51 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1578 Post(s)
Liked 1,184 Times in 603 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Lol .... this whole thread is about some old guy who likes to make controversial statements, saying that 1x is useless and triples need to make a comeback. Even he doesn't believe what he said.

Also, @livedarklions---I make a strict delineation between "flat-bar road bikes" and "hybrids." There are bikes like the Giant Fastroad or the Specialized in post #376, which are designed for quick road riding in a more upright posture as opposed to bikes where the riders tend to sit much more upright and have low-travel front suspensions.

Whatever. I have my issues, you have yours, and the rest of the world is screwed up in too many ways to count. No one I know rides the way you do .... but it works for you.
Agreed. I tend to think that this illustrates the problem with the term 'hybrid' as it's now used in the Anglosphere: the term is so broad (anything with flat bars that isn't obviously a mountain bike) as to be utterly useless. The Euros often use the term to refer to e-bikes (pedelecs), if at all, and have other categories, e.g. 'flat bar road bike'; 'trekking (or 'tour') bike'; 'city' bike; and so on for what we tend to lump under 'hybrid'.

Off-topic, I know, but then this thread really never had a topic.
Likes For badger1:
Old 11-04-21, 07:54 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'm pretty sure there were several years where hybrids dominated the bicycle sales, and I just think it's damn interesting that people are sort of editing those years out of their memory.
I am glad that you have such deep, abiding love for hybrids ...

Actually, the bike industry, sales-wise, is dominated by big-box bikes. (https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...walmart-bikes/ Oct 28, 2015 "So-called “big-box” or mass-merchant stores, like Sam’s Club or Costco, sell 75 percent of all bikes in the US, according to the National Bicycle Dealers Association.") but we never include any of them in our discussions. I bet a load of those are triples, too ......

When people talk about "the availability of triples" what they mean is, "the availability of triples on dedicated and at least serious entry-level road bikes" (to exclude things like big-box bikes, which we pretty much always exclude here---because so few of us ride them.) I don't exclude hybrids ior big-box bikes because I don't know they exist but because we simply aren't discussing them. And still, as far as I know, there are no longer any higher--end road triples being manufactured. TB has stuff up to XTR---well, actually, I don't even know if Shimano or anyone else sells MTB triples any more ---but what I see on "comfort-bike" hybrids are usually Claris or Sora .... and the flat-bar bikes I have seen tend to have 2x11.
Old 11-04-21, 08:00 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
but what I missed is you measure that by a watts target, and as we know, all other things being equal, speed is a pretty good proxy for watts (obviously, not in a headwind or on a climb).
Yeah, the wind thing makes it hard to use speed as any real metric, I have a workout I've done on a loop where one 15min interval at 260something I was doing 24mph and another identical effort and was 20mph. And in looking up the weather from that date, the wind was only like 5-8mph, so not particularly strong, but still accounted for a big difference in speed
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 11-04-21, 08:01 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Interesting. Maybe.... triple cranks are no longer made.....or exported to the USA. The triple FD is the hardest part to obtain. I can only recall seeing one tandem that wasn't a triple, a very strong rando mixed team but I am sure plenty of doubles used. Maybe my wife needs to work harder.
I don't think I'd miss the triple much on my recumbent with the right sub-compact 2x11 setup, but I would miss it on the tandem. Since there are no decent brifter triples, people must be willing to give up a few low gears so they don't have to use bar-end shifters. You can still buy everything to build a new 3x9 or a 3x10 but you will have either sora 9s brifters or bar-end shifters.
Old 11-04-21, 08:09 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,826 Times in 2,982 Posts
Just for the record. I never said that. You were baiting and trolling. I let many such comments of yours go. There is no such thing as a long 20% descent, you know that. I was not arguing, merely explaining something you obviously are not aware of.

Let's say you are doing la Marmotte in the French Alps and after ascending Galibier, there are long 2-5% stretches before tackling the l'alpe d'huez. A big gear is nice at that point. OTOH, the climb is pretty modest save for one or two very short grunts. I have done it on a racing bike both directions and the northbound twice with 100 pound loaded bike. Such modest pitches are not tuck and stop pedaling stretches. Also, note that I mentioned river valleys as a place where such a big gear is nice, especially with two engines on board a tandem.
Hey guys. He lets me off the hook. What a guy! Even explaining stuff I'm not aware of. Awesome. I'll buy you a beer.

Last edited by PeteHski; 11-04-21 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-04-21, 08:12 AM
PeteHski

100-200 bucks always bought a top of the line triple crank.

1x13 is very expensive way to get a gear range, comparatively.

OP said it did not make sense. I am pretty sure I have given a lot of evidence to the support that.

You basically told him to get a clue or to think more about it. Yet, you have not given any real consideration to why a triple makes sense to the OP.

Have you?

Do you think a man of his age would be happy with a 1X on a recumbent in the hills? How about a tandem rider? Trike rider? Any lower W/Kg rider? These are not so tiny markets as a whole, despite your dismissive assertions
Nobody gives a crap. But seriously he (and you) can ride whatever you like and so can I. All I ever argued was the benefits of 2x and 1x gearing. Perhaps you can be bothered to point out where I said that 3x is useless? The OP just needs to realise that all other forms of gearing (like the 1x MTB gearing he was struggling with) have a point too.

He asked why 3x is gone. I suggested the obvious reasons.

Last edited by PeteHski; 11-04-21 at 08:16 AM.
Old 11-04-21, 08:13 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
I am glad that you have such deep, abiding love for hybrids ...

Actually, the bike industry, sales-wise, is dominated by big-box bikes. (https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...walmart-bikes/ Oct 28, 2015 "So-called “big-box” or mass-merchant stores, like Sam’s Club or Costco, sell 75 percent of all bikes in the US, according to the National Bicycle Dealers Association.") but we never include any of them in our discussions. I bet a load of those are triples, too ......

When people talk about "the availability of triples" what they mean is, "the availability of triples on dedicated and at least serious entry-level road bikes" (to exclude things like big-box bikes, which we pretty much always exclude here---because so few of us ride them.) I don't exclude hybrids ior big-box bikes because I don't know they exist but because we simply aren't discussing them. And still, as far as I know, there are no longer any higher--end road triples being manufactured. TB has stuff up to XTR---well, actually, I don't even know if Shimano or anyone else sells MTB triples any more ---but what I see on "comfort-bike" hybrids are usually Claris or Sora .... and the flat-bar bikes I have seen tend to have 2x11.

There was an era when you could get a good triple on a good hybrid. We agree that era is not now. I think you seem to be saying there never was such an era or there weren't many sold, both of which I would disagree with. I wouldn't know if the quality hybrid would still include a triple today because basically, that's a disappeared segment, and the equivalent bikes are now being called something else if they exist at all.

And no, I don't agree that if we're going to talk about the history of the industry and its components, ignoring 75% or better of the market makes a lot of sense. I think you're stating the obvious BF bias as a virtue when I think it's a flaw in these discussions.

You need to discount the importance of hybrids in the demand for triples for some reason. I doubt there would ever have been many 48t triples if it hadn't been for the hybrid. I'm never going to get why you need to write that out of your history. Genug. I'm done talking about this.
Old 11-04-21, 08:22 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by badger1
Agreed. I tend to think that this illustrates the problem with the term 'hybrid' as it's now used in the Anglosphere: the term is so broad (anything with flat bars that isn't obviously a mountain bike) as to be utterly useless. The Euros often use the term to refer to e-bikes (pedelecs), if at all, and have other categories, e.g. 'flat bar road bike'; 'trekking (or 'tour') bike'; 'city' bike; and so on for what we tend to lump under 'hybrid'.

Off-topic, I know, but then this thread really never had a topic.

I don't disagree with any of that. If I walked into an LBS in California (where I was) in the early-mid 1990s, though, and asked for a hybrid, I would have had a huge number to select from, but they would all basically be of the same type. They'd also be about half of the stock they'd have on-hand. I think the mass-merchandisers saw the popularity of the bikes and stuck the label on anything flat bar that wasn't clearly a mountain bike, including a lot of totally misconceived crap with lousy suspension, etc., and destroyed the usefulness of the category.

I think the flat bar road bike is actually a lot closer to a 1990s hybrid than a comfort bike is.

But yeah, the label has become meaningless.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-04-21, 08:24 AM
PeteHski

Let's say you are doing la Marmotte in the French Alps and after ascending Galibier, there are long 2-5% stretches before tackling the l'alpe d'huez. A big gear is nice at that point. OTOH, the climb is pretty modest save for one or two very short grunts. I have done it on a racing bike both directions and the northbound twice with 100 pound loaded bike. Such modest pitches are not tuck and stop pedaling stretches. Also, note that I mentioned river valleys as a place where such a big gear is nice, especially with two engines on board a tandem.
Oh and here comes the inevitable palmares AGAIN. You just can't help yourself can you? LOL.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-04-21, 08:29 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
You have to be kidding right? Triples are only cheap because they are obsolete....
Triples are certainly not obsolete. Sugino sells some nice cranks, and the Velo Orange Grand Crux is beautiful. Rivendell also sells a couple different ones. Rivendell uses a triple on the Atlantis and you can get many of their bikes built with a triple. There are other examples of high-end bikes that come with one, and a thriving market for aftermarket triple cranksets.

A lot of us prefer a triple. Between my wife and I we have 7 bikes, and they all have the granny gear. We don't use it very often, but it's very nice to have that ultra-low range once in a great while. There's no downside that I can see. Front derailleurs are pretty foolproof and easy to set up.
Old 11-04-21, 09:08 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Anyone who loves triples, isn't willing to spend Rivendell-sized dollars, and can tolerate a little mismatch, needs to start buying up Tiaga or even older 105 chainrings and left brifters.
Old 11-04-21, 09:19 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Anyone who loves triples, isn't willing to spend Rivendell-sized dollars, and can tolerate a little mismatch, needs to start buying up Tiaga or even older 105 chainrings and left brifters.
Nope. 110/74 cranks and Microshift is the way to go. Microshift makes 3 x 7-10 STIs. Bar end shifters are available as well. You can't go wrong with 110/74. Same for 86BCD cranks. Still some of those out there. With either of those, you can do standard/compact double or triple. Your choice. Also some 130/86 triples still out there. Just update the rings to whatever speed you choose.

Last edited by seypat; 11-04-21 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-04-21, 09:37 AM
seypat

Here you go, 3×9. Could be 3x10. The only Shimano components on it are the hubs and the RD. Could have used different brands of those. Those are dual pivot calipers, BTW. Every bike I build/ride has to get me through this ride.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29030456

Last edited by seypat; 11-04-21 at 09:41 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 11-04-21, 09:54 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by seypat
Here you go, 3×9. Could be 3x10. The only Shimano components on it are the hubs and the RD. Could have used different brands of those. Those are dual pivot calipers, BTW. Every bike I build/ride has to get me through this ride.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29030456

In fact, on that particular ride, it's better to go with friction because of the endless amount of V shaped ups/downs. You can dump gears faster with friction and not lose your momentum. There's a turn 10 miles in that first timers don't know is coming. They can't get on their climbing gears fast enough and quickly lose their momentum. A lot of them don't get unclipped either, and fall over. The only Shimano on this bike are the hubs and early DA barcons.

Last edited by seypat; 11-04-21 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-04-21, 09:55 AM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
Since there are no decent brifter triples, people must be willing to give up a few low gears so they don't have to use bar-end shifters. You can still buy everything to build a new 3x9 or a 3x10 but you will have either sora 9s brifters or bar-end shifters.
Would any of the brake/shifter units from Gevenalle fill any of those needs?

I haven't tried them myself, but they pique my interest.
Old 11-04-21, 10:08 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by John Valuk
Would any of the brake/shifter units from Gevenalle fill any of those needs?

I haven't tried them myself, but they pique my interest.
Lots of stuff out there that will work, including those. Microshift, Sensa, Gevenalle and the Chinese knockoffs. Maybe some more. Where there's a will, there's a way.
Old 11-04-21, 10:11 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Triples are certainly not obsolete. Sugino sells some nice cranks, and the Velo Orange Grand Crux is beautiful. Rivendell also sells a couple different ones. Rivendell uses a triple on the Atlantis and you can get many of their bikes built with a triple. There are other examples of high-end bikes that come with one, and a thriving market for aftermarket triple cranksets.

A lot of us prefer a triple. Between my wife and I we have 7 bikes, and they all have the granny gear. We don't use it very often, but it's very nice to have that ultra-low range once in a great while. There's no downside that I can see. Front derailleurs are pretty foolproof and easy to set up.
Okay, but that is niche market stuff. Nothing is truly obsolete and I know some people still prefer triples.

I've just had a look at the Rivendell Atlantis out of curiosity. I guess it's just a very different world we all live in, so not much point in debating.

Last edited by PeteHski; 11-04-21 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-04-21, 10:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Totally honest question as I have no idea--what do you think a reasonable amount for a new triple crankset would be?
Old 11-04-21, 12:08 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Totally honest question as I have no idea--what do you think a reasonable amount for a new triple crankset would be?
At the end of the Ultegra triple "6703" series (i.e. when Ultegra 6800 was released, not sure the exact year maybe 2014, 2015?) , grey market British mail order was blowing some of them out for un-sustainably low prices like $99 to $149 for the 6703 cranks and the 6700/6703 brifters were a bit more expensive but there were deals out there. I bought 2 of the 6703 triple Ultegra front shifters from Jensen USA at $99 each when they were on clearance. I did not even possess a matching 6700 right ten speed shifter but eventually must have found 2 of them since I do have 2 full sets now. I might have paid ~150 for a NOS 6700 ten speed right brifter to make a set. I must confess that both these sets are mounted on bike builds that I have yet to finish and thus have never even ridden this series despite owning these for several years.

Those Specialties TA a'la carte triple cranksets from Peter White Cycles look beatiful and I did not do the math on the total cost but if I am gonna guess - say... $280 for a triple might be the ballpark.

Last edited by masi61; 11-04-21 at 12:13 PM.
Likes For masi61:
Old 11-04-21, 12:38 PM
seypat

Checking online, the Sugino XDs are in the $189 to $240 range.
Likes For seypat:
Old 11-04-21, 12:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by masi61
At the end of the Ultegra triple "6703" series (i.e. when Ultegra 6800 was released, not sure the exact year maybe 2014, 2015?) , grey market British mail order was blowing some of them out for un-sustainably low prices like $99 to $149 for the 6703 cranks and the 6700/6703 brifters were a bit more expensive but there were deals out there. I bought 2 of the 6703 triple Ultegra front shifters from Jensen USA at $99 each when they were on clearance. I did not even possess a matching 6700 right ten speed shifter but eventually must have found 2 of them since I do have 2 full sets now. I might have paid ~150 for a NOS 6700 ten speed right brifter to make a set. I must confess that both these sets are mounted on bike builds that I have yet to finish and thus have never even ridden this series despite owning these for several years.

Those Specialties TA a'la carte triple cranksets from Peter White Cycles look beatiful and I did not do the math on the total cost but if I am gonna guess - say... $280 for a triple might be the ballpark.
So these are actually available, would you consider this reasonable if you wanted a triple?

https://velo-orange.com/collections/...kset-24x34x48t

https://www.benscycle.com/sugino-xd-...xoCFY8QAvD_BwE
Old 11-04-21, 12:59 PM
seypat

No reason to. Go to the Bay and get a used one. Lots of them sitting on the dock.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...nkset&_sacat=0
Old 11-04-21, 01:02 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Triples are certainly not obsolete.
They're obsolete in the same way that the horse and buggy are obsolete -- it doesn't mean there aren't people that still use them.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-04-21, 01:24 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
They're obsolete in the same way that the horse and buggy are obsolete -- it doesn't mean there aren't people that still use them.
Except that there are still some very high-end bikes that come with a triple (think Rivdendell, for example), and manufacturers are still releasing new triple cranksets. People still buy them, new.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 11-04-21, 01:25 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
So these are actually available, would you consider this reasonable if you wanted a triple?

https://velo-orange.com/collections/...kset-24x34x48t

https://www.benscycle.com/sugino-xd-...xoCFY8QAvD_BwE
To my eye, the Sugino looks a little more beautiful than the Velo Orange. You might check "Spa Cycles" which is a British bike shop that seems to specialize in old school touring bikes. Last I checked they had some fairly nice triple 110/74 road crankarms for not a lot of money.

But both of them you list do seem reasonable price wise. I'm more of a tinkerer so I would be more likely to build my own triple by using a triplizer from TA Specialties or refurbing an MTB 110/74 set of crankarms and fitting them with some nice chainrings. With all this said, my first choice in a triple drivetrain is to get a Shimano 9 or 10 speed triple matched chainring crank from the 105/Ultegra or Dura Ace Series. Finding these NOS after Covid-19 is going to be a challenge though. Also these Shimano triples really do index in the front if set up properly . The trim clicks and the shifting can be made to be spot on if you know what you are doing when setting it up. You do have to go with the default chainring choices though in order to have the pristine index performance that you deserve.
Likes For masi61:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.