Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Difference between Vintage Dia Compe Center-Pull Brakes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Difference between Vintage Dia Compe Center-Pull Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-21, 10:56 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 691 Times in 328 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
The Centerpulls on my Pro Tour with it's brazed studs are polished/ano'd and have the "G" designation forged into the front arm, this from 1977 or so.

Best-working caliper brakes I've used, and even with their 44-y-o brake pads!!! Power is outstanding and there's no noises and very low system flex.

DiaCompe C-P calipers use 3-coil springs for less hand resistance as the lever comes in (Weinmann versions have stiffer 2-coil springs made from the same wire thickness).

As-found (and I still haven't changed out the pads after two solid years of use since rescuing this from the bike shop dumpster):

Post-resusitation:
Magnificent dumpster find!

If I recall, these came with half-step plus granny setups. Is that second chainring hiding behind the big ring, or did you convert it to a compact double?

Despite already owning a pair of pro-tours (‘83, ‘84), I still lust after the earlier post-mounted-centre-pull versions.
Old 12-16-21, 11:13 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,288 Times in 859 Posts
Originally Posted by panzerwagon
Magnificent dumpster find!

If I recall, these came with half-step plus granny setups. Is that second chainring hiding behind the big ring, or did you convert it to a compact double?

Despite already owning a pair of pro-tours (‘83, ‘84), I still lust after the earlier post-mounted-centre-pull versions.
This bike came stock with the 52-36t double, but the wheels aren't original (they are 2-years-newer OEM Japanese wheels), likely because better Japanese bikes from the mid-70's came with very short-lived Japanese stainless spokes. I did clean up the wheels that were on the bike, and in two years only a single popped spoke nipple has ever shown a hint of weakness, because the spokes aren't stainless.
Likes For dddd: