Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

BLE/ANT+ Speed Sensor Paired with GPS

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-22, 09:34 AM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts

I've been using a BLE/ANT+ Speed Sensor for quite some time. I started using it to make sure my displayed speed on the head unit did not fluctuate wildly. That, and I found I could get some reasonable data from my roller sessions.

Recently though I started to think about what the sensor is actually doing for me. Is it solely overriding the instantaneous speed that the GPS unit would be showing without it, or does it enter into the calculation for distance traveled and how does it impact the data sent to Strava?
Old 03-16-22, 09:50 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4246 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 937 Posts
The Garmin will use the wheel sensor for speed and distance over GPS. If the circumference being used is correct, the wheel sensor should be more accurate for speed and distance.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 03-16-22, 10:07 AM
gkamieneski

Originally Posted by njkayaker
The Garmin will use the wheel sensor for speed and distance over GPS. If the circumference being used is correct, the wheel sensor should be more accurate for speed and distance.
Are we sure the speed sensor sends data that calculates the distance travelled and that it doesn't just provide a "steady" readout of instantaneous speed? Are we even sure that its data gets involved in the calculation of average speed? Then there is the Strava option to correct for distance and altitude.
Old 03-16-22, 10:10 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4246 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by gkamieneski
Are we sure the speed sensor sends data that calculates the distance travelled and that it doesn't just provide a "steady" readout of instantaneous speed? Are we even sure that its data gets involved in the calculation of average speed?
Yes, I'm sure.

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...623Z535geTx2e9

Then there is the Strava option to correct for distance and altitude.
Garmin provides an elevation correction too. It applies it by default for units that don't have barometers (GPS is poor for elevation).
Old 03-16-22, 10:43 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
Are you having issues or just worrying?

Wheel sensors are not fool proof, but slightly better than GPS alone.
Old 03-16-22, 10:45 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Are we sure the speed sensor sends data that calculates the distance travelled and that it doesn't just provide a "steady" readout of instantaneous speed? Are we even sure that its data gets involved in the calculation of average speed? Then there is the Strava option to correct for distance and altitude.
I'm sure. You're obviously not. I have no idea what it would take to satisfy you that this is the case, so that's not a question I can answer. You could try riding a short distance with the speed sensor in your pocket and expect to see zero for speed and distance when GPS would disagree.
Old 03-16-22, 10:59 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4232 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
My garmin has an option to use GPS to determine wheel size. One of these days I'm going to do the math to figure out how many millimeters off my wheel circumference estimate has to be for it to be more/less accurate than the GPS error over a while divided by the number of wheel rotations for that distance. I keep meaning to and then decided I don't care enough.
Likes For himespau:
Old 03-16-22, 03:33 PM
gkamieneski

Originally Posted by Iride01
Are you having issues or just worrying?

Wheel sensors are not fool proof, but slightly better than GPS alone.
I'm just not sure I get much more than steady instantaneous speed readings because of the sensor. The head unit could be displaying Average Speed from GPS readings rather than the speed sensor, and I probably wouldn't know it.

As I said, where I see the speed sensor definitely producing the data is when I am on the rollers as without it, speed would be 0.
Old 03-17-22, 07:13 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Are you using a Garmin device with your wheel sensor? It might be that you have the default setting of "auto calibrate" set for your wheel sensor. Garmin tries to use the GPS to calibrate the wheel size for a certain time when you start the timer. So if you are indoors on a roller not going anywhere, then who knows what's going to happen. Possibly setting a wheel size in the setup might help.

Speed and distance are meaningless on rollers or a trainer. Garmin many times recommends you disable the GPS when indoors. Some of the newer Garmin's you just select the indoor training profile.
Old 03-17-22, 07:43 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2603 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
After years of not caring, I've become obsessed with the GPS or wheel sensor difference.

It all started with I changed tires, putting a 35 on instead of a 32. I didn't change the wired computer (solid for a dozen years!) wheel setting, so I expected to be reading a little low relative to the GPS. What I found, instead, was the wired/wheel sensor distance was reading 2-3% higher than the GPS, instead of the <1% difference I've been ignoring all this time. One of these days I'm going to have to do the early weekend downhill leg on the U.S. highway with surveyed mile markers, but I've not got around to it yet.

So I headed out for a short ride; after a mile I checked both devices, and the wired reading was 1.20 miles vs. 1.0 for the GPS. 20%? Holy cow! OCD hit hard, I was watching the distance every half mile. Strangely enough, the delta persisted until I hit a quick right-left. Going into the zigzag, the delta was steady at 0.2 mile; a quarter mile later, it was down to 0.13 mile. Confidence in GPS accuracy dropped 7%, like the stock market on bad news. It was a few miles to go, with a fair few turns around ridges, trees, and houses, but strangely enough when I got home the delta was 0.18 mile.

Conclusion? Pick one:
-- GPS is a flaky on sharp curves and without clear views to the sky.
-- Wired computer might be going bad. Strange that it happened when I changed tires.
-- It just doesn't matter.
-- If it does matter, you need a survey crew.
Old 03-17-22, 08:41 AM
gkamieneski

Well I have 2 setups. I have a Cateye Padrone Smart that in mirror mode uses my iPhone for the GPS and is also paired with a BLE/ANT+ speed sensor on the rear wheel hub. The other is a Bryton Rider 15 Neo, again paired with a BLE speed sensor on the rear wheel hub.

I have found the means to use both setups on the rollers, measuring speed, time and distance, so obviously in that scenario I can see the benefit of the speed sensor. I may discontinue using the sensors when out on the road as I don't think they make enough of a difference to just using the GPS.
Old 03-17-22, 04:05 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

If you are someplace where you get a good gps signal all the time there isn't much need for a wheel sensor. Especially if you won't get bent out of shape if one ride shows a few tenths more or less than another of the same rides.

For the trainer rides, the only numbers that really make sense is time, and if you have it, power.