Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Updated picture of 64 Supersport.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-22, 10:27 PM
1964Supersport

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Supersport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 25 Posts

Picked up my bike today, new Pasela Pro tite's and Brooks B17 installed. Im wondering if anyone can recommend a nice leather seat bag. When I was a young boy I had one , came in handy to carry a snack. Thanks for your comments.
Old 08-05-22, 11:11 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Nice bike !
Old 08-05-22, 11:14 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

I just noticed your gearing, the chain is currently positioned on the large chainwheel in the front and the largest cog in the rear. This combination should be avoided.
Likes For branko_76:
Old 08-06-22, 05:54 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
Your Super Sport looks amazing! Nice work! I'm jealous! it is the same color and size of the SS my dad got me for Christmas in 1965. Brooks makes 2 sizes of rear seat bags that comes in various colors. They are designed to attach to the loops on the back of a B17. The smaller one is called "Brooks Challenge Tool Seat Bag". The wholesale only distributor Quality Bicycle Products sells them and they are in stock. You will have to find a bike store that can order one for you (I can too if you PM me). Their order # for the smaller one in black is BG1200. The larger one is BG1263. They are very pricey but your SS is worth it. The 1st image is the smaller one and the 2nd image is the larger one. These images don't show the straps that attach it to the saddle.

Here is the larger size:

Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 08-06-22, 06:27 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 1,004 Times in 514 Posts
I think this is what you are looking for.

1970s Schwinn large touring bag
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 08-06-22, 06:31 AM
1964Supersport

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Supersport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
I just noticed your gearing, the chain is currently positioned on the large chainwheel in the front and the largest cog in the rear. This combination should be avoided.
Thanks, can you tell me why ? I normally keep the front set on the smaller chainwheel, the shop had put it on the larger one after installing the tires. I hadn't ridden far when I stopped to take the picture you see.
Old 08-06-22, 07:58 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Cross chaining- count the teeth front and rear, reference a gear chart.
you will find that the gear inches of that gear are duplicated or near duplicated elsewhere.
a typical "10 speed" has often 8 distinct ratios.

so, why bother using a pair that increases friction and wear?
Likes For repechage:
Old 08-06-22, 08:27 AM
branko_76 

Originally Posted by 1964Supersport
Thanks, can you tell me why ? I normally keep the front set on the smaller chainwheel, the shop had put it on the larger one after installing the tires. I hadn't ridden far when I stopped to take the picture you see.
For the following reasons....

Originally Posted by repechage
Cross chaining- count the teeth front and rear, reference a gear chart.
you will find that the gear inches of that gear are duplicated or near duplicated elsewhere.
a typical "10 speed" has often 8 distinct ratios.

so, why bother using a pair that increases friction and wear?
If you bring your eyes level with and directly behind the chain, you will see why. The chain will be twisted in a way that will accelerate chain, cog and chainwheel wear.
Old 08-06-22, 09:02 AM
molleraj

Bikes: 1993 (?) BikeE CT RoadE edition, 2007 (?) Dahon Speed D7, 2003 (?) Specialized Globe Sport, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed, 1974 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1982 Peugeot P8

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 79 Posts
Nice bike! Hope you get a nice saddle bag soon. Looking forward to future pictures ;-)
Old 08-06-22, 10:03 AM
evwxxx
FalconLvr

Bikes: 62 Falcon, 58 Raleigh Lenton Gran Prix, 74 Raleigh Pro, 75 Raleigh Int, 75 Raleigh Comp, 76 Colnago Super, 75 Crescent, 80 Peugeot PX10, plus others too numerous to mention!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
Your Super Sport looks amazing! Nice work! I'm jealous! it is the same color and size of the SS my dad got me for Christmas in 1965. Brooks makes 2 sizes of rear seat bags that comes in various colors. They are designed to attach to the loops on the back of a B17. The smaller one is called "Brooks Challenge Tool Seat Bag". The wholesale only distributor Quality Bicycle Products sells them and they are in stock. You will have to find a bike store that can order one for you (I can too if you PM me). Their order # for the smaller one in black is BG1200. The larger one is BG1263. They are very pricey but your SS is worth it. The 1st image is the smaller one and the 2nd image is the larger one. These images don't show the straps that attach it to the saddle.

Here is the larger size:

Brooks Challenge also currently available on Amazon
Old 08-06-22, 11:29 AM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
I followed that advice for a long time but I've found that with modern flexible chains and the long chainstays of older bikes, that rule can be ignored. Keep in mind as well that older freewheels are only five cogs wide and relatively narrow compared to modern cassettes. I never hear anyone say of a modern drivetrain that can have in excess of 10 or 11 sprockets - "Uh, you can only use the 5 cogs in the miiddle".

The "Alpine" gearing (40-52, 14-28) used by so many manufacturers in the sixties and seventies offers 10 well-spaced ratios without duplicates, but it is necessary to use the large-large and small-small combinations to exploit that.
Old 08-06-22, 11:33 AM
branko_76 

Originally Posted by daka
I followed that advice for a long time but I've found that with modern flexible chains and the long chainstays of older bikes, that rule can be ignored. Keep in mind as well that older freewheels are only five cogs wide and relatively narrow compared to modern cassettes.
I rarely ignore common sense
Old 08-06-22, 01:39 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by daka
I followed that advice for a long time but I've found that with modern flexible chains and the long chainstays of older bikes, that rule can be ignored. Keep in mind as well that older freewheels are only five cogs wide and relatively narrow compared to modern cassettes. I never hear anyone say of a modern drivetrain that can have in excess of 10 or 11 sprockets - "Uh, you can only use the 5 cogs in the miiddle".

The "Alpine" gearing (40-52, 14-28) used by so many manufacturers in the sixties and seventies offers 10 well-spaced ratios without duplicates, but it is necessary to use the large-large and small-small combinations to exploit that.
I thought the same thing, concerning any five-cog freewheel. And never worried about cross-chaining.
Back in the day, they made those freewheel cogs out of beefy steel. The cogs outlast the bearings. lol
Probably the same principle for the pulleys and chainrings on that Schwinn. Indestructible.
On modern bikes it matters, judging by some of the noise emanating from below.
Those dang Dura Ace components cost a pretty penny!

Last edited by roadcrankr; 08-06-22 at 05:17 PM.