Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Handlebar position questions ?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Handlebar position questions ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-22, 08:24 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by BMC_Kid
My experience is that old school brake levers were never designed to point to the heavens
Never say never. When I was in high school in the late 70s the upward pointing brake levers were not common, and I did not come around to positioning them that way until a few years ago. But a few years earlier, especially when randonneur bars were so popular that Sears was putting them on Free Spirits, a higher position was totally the thing.

Most of the bikes I ride now are 80s models, and the bar & hood can't be made completely flat, but they generally can be tilted upward into a comfortable position.

Well, I guess there is one legitimate thing you can say to never do - never go full drop bar reversal. Upside down drop bars are the universal symbol for "tweaker with a stolen bike."
Old 09-13-22, 08:51 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
this is a proper setup for non-brake/shifter combo levers and I try to setup all of my bikes exactly like this. I have no problem riding in this manner, either in braking or comfort, and I’ve done some long rides and setups just like this. To see a bike like this with the lever pointing skyward either through placement on the bars or through rotating the bars up, makes me nauseous, LOL. To each their own, but not for me.
Your bars and brake levers are set up correctly. If others have the bars rotated or levers pointing upward, it’s because the bicycle doesn’t fit them in the first place.
Likes For gkamieneski:
Old 09-13-22, 08:56 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Right. Maybe you should just get one of these.

Old 09-13-22, 10:37 PM
BMC_Kid 

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by albrt
Never say never. When I was in high school in the late 70s the upward pointing brake levers were not common, and I did not come around to positioning them that way until a few years ago. But a few years earlier, especially when randonneur bars were so popular that Sears was putting them on Free Spirits, a higher position was totally the thing.

Most of the bikes I ride now are 80s models, and the bar & hood can't be made completely flat, but they generally can be tilted upward into a comfortable position.

Well, I guess there is one legitimate thing you can say to never do - never go full drop bar reversal. Upside down drop bars are the universal symbol for "tweaker with a stolen bike."
Everything I wrote previously is certainly legitimate. To imply otherwise is just silly. I don’t know why people in forums feel the need to blow out the candles of others just so their’s shine brighter, but that’s the time we live in unfortunately.
Old 09-13-22, 10:43 PM
BMC_Kid 

Because high school kids were miss adjusting there handlebars as a fad in the 70s does not equate to the levers ever being designed for that.
Likes For BMC_Kid:
Old 09-14-22, 03:37 AM
JackJohn
WingsToWheels

Bikes: Italian, French, British

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by 1964Supersport
Someone posted some very informative information in regards to drop bars. I read a great deal of it last night and tried some adjustments today on my bars and brake levers. I'm posting a picture of where I have the bars now. With this position I can ride on the hoods and use the brakes. In the drop position I can just barely reach the levers. I don't feel like I can move the levers down any. By doing so my arms would probably lock and I would get the wrist bend that I read can cause wrist strain. You will notice the bars are turned slightly upwards. I'm wondering what effect it would have if I moved the bars downward and moved the brake levers upward to the same position they are in now. Thanks for your comments.
+1 on the importance of a proper bike fitting/sizing as a starting point. Concerning your specific problem, I once inquired into that issue after realizing my hands were too small to reach levers from the drops in some cases, i.e. particular combinations of deep dropbars and protruding levers. Unlike some modern technology allowing to move levers closer to the bars through a dedicated screw, old levers didn’t have this option. Then I found this guy using a diy trick to do the job on Mafac brakes: he places an inner tube valve cup around the brake cable on the inside top of the lever, allowing to bring the lever 2-3cm closer to the bar. Frankly I haven’t tried it yet and cannot say if it works or if there are safety issues, but the idea seems interesting. Here’s the link, English subtitles available.
PS: that rear brake cable housing is quickly bent downwards on the top of the right lever, I would lengthen it to let it loop more.

Last edited by JackJohn; 09-14-22 at 03:49 AM.
Old 09-14-22, 07:04 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3511 Post(s)
Liked 2,925 Times in 1,774 Posts
Originally Posted by gkamieneski
Your bars and brake levers are set up correctly. If others have the bars rotated or levers pointing upward, it’s because the bicycle doesn’t fit them in the first place.
Even many (most?) modern pro bikes have level bar drops and levers that don't point up--if pictures of riders in the 2022 Tour de France in the latest RBA magazine are to be believed.
Old 09-14-22, 07:23 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Even many (most?) modern pro bikes have level bar drops and levers that don't point up--if pictures of riders in the 2022 Tour de France in the latest RBA magazine are to be believed.
Modern bars for modern levers.
Old 09-14-22, 09:26 AM
BMC_Kid 

I grew up in the mid-80s and when I raced our setup then as it should be now if using the equipment of that era is like this with the flat of the bars parallel to the ground.

Speaking for myself, I never gripped the brake levers from the top like modern shifter/brake lever combos, those are modern ergonomics. We tended to run narrow bars and would grip the lever coming around the side as such…

Again, these levers were never designed to be pointed up, trying to mimic modern shift levers. You can do what you want, it’s your bike but they were designed to be mounted on the curve of the bar, which places the actual lever closer within reach down in the drops. If you felt inclined to grip the levers from up top, that too was easily accomplished. Once you start migrating the lever placement to the top flatter part of the bar, like a modern shift lever, the dimension from the bar to the lever in effect increases, making it not easily gripped when down in the drops. Generally, if we were just cruising alone, we’d grip the top of the bar, not gripping the brake levers unless we were climbing. During the race, we typically never left the drops. You have much better control of the bike down in the drops even to this day but many people will intuitively grip the modern brake/shift levers because they they think otherwise and think only racers should be down in the drops or they don’t have the fitness to ride down in the drops. Nothing wrong with this but back in the day, the typical higher end brake levers were not designed for comfort riders but for racers. I can’t speak for the cheaper end stuff and as always, YMMV.

I agree with someone mentioning, modern bars for modern levers and there’s truth in this statement. The converse is also true, vintage bars for vintage levers. You can mix and match them but my experience is they work best not being mixed but have not really tried.

No offense to anyone of this form but only the band dorks and nerds rode around with their bars rotated upward or their levers mounted up on the flats pointing to the sky. They certainly weren’t racers. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. LOL!

Last edited by BMC_Kid; 09-14-22 at 09:33 AM.
Likes For BMC_Kid:
Old 09-14-22, 10:47 AM
albrt 

No offense to anyone of this form but only the band dorks and nerds rode around with their bars rotated upward
So the 1974 Schwinn catalog was put together by high school band dorks and nerds?

Personally, I was both a band dork and a nerd in the 1970s, and I kept my drop bars flat. Now that I am cool, most of my road bars are about like this picture. Draw your own conclusions.
Old 09-14-22, 11:11 AM
smd4

So the 1974 Schwinn catalog was put together by high school band dorks and nerds?

You can't tell, but that guy has major carpal tunnel issues because of this setup. Can't play the sax anymore.

Personally, I was both a band dork and a nerd in the 1970s, and I kept my drop bars flat. Now that I am cool, most of my road bars are about like this picture. Draw your own conclusions.
Consider it done!
Likes For smd4:
Old 09-14-22, 11:14 AM
BMC_Kid 

Old 09-14-22, 11:26 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
This was my only cycling reference:

and in it was the recommended bar orientation: point the drops at the rear derailleur.
Old 09-14-22, 11:35 AM
BMC_Kid 

Originally Posted by Classtime
This was my only cycling reference:

and in it was the recommended bar orientation: point the drops at the rear derailleur.
sorry, I’m not up to speed with the books my grandfather utilized. Although he did always wear similar striped socks and sneakers when riding his bike…
Old 09-14-22, 01:03 PM
streetsurfer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 155 Posts
Likes For streetsurfer:
Old 09-14-22, 01:20 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by streetsurfer
You forgot the rest of it:

Likes For smd4:
Old 09-14-22, 01:28 PM
BMC_Kid 

[QUOTE=streetsurfer; [/QUOTE]

Fixed it.

Even Christie knew how to correctly set up her cockpit...

Last edited by BMC_Kid; 09-15-22 at 01:34 AM.
Likes For BMC_Kid:
Old 09-14-22, 01:34 PM
smd4

Yeah, but those pics aren't from the Schwinn catalog!!
Old 09-14-22, 01:39 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Bar and lever positioning are completely up to the rider. It shouldn't matter if it "makes anyone else sick" if it gets a rider out on the road and they have brakes that work properly. About 8 years ago I was diagnosed with mild stenosis in my cervical spine and so I had to say goodbye to an aggressive riding position on my road bike. My Suntour Superbe levers are pretty high up now with my drops aiming at my rear dropouts. The handlebar is hung off a 100mm Nitto Technomic that puts it just at the level of the nose of my B17 saddle. Some may not like that, but I'm sure Snoop Dogg has some choice wisdom for what they can eat. My brakes work fantastic and I'm out on the road, so that's what counts. What a rider's bike looks like doesn't matter one bit as long as they are riding and hopefully doing it safely.

Last edited by PhilFo; 09-15-22 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-14-22, 02:22 PM
smd4

Yeah yeah, blah blah blah. I get that not everyone's the same, and everybody sets up their bike differently. Fine. I don't care how anybody sets up their bike. They can ride lying on their backs for all I care.

But there sure seem to be A LOT of riders on this particular site who feel comfortable with setups that are so out of the ordinary it boggles the mind that they can actually be used without causing more injury. It's as if no one ever even tried to set up their bike conventionally.

How is it even possible that the levers on the bike below can be actuated from the drops without being a contortionist? The brakes are practically vertical. The elbows would need to be bent at an angle greater than 90 degrees. This certainly looks to me like it would cause more problems and pain than it could ever solve. Yes, the rider (our own PastorBob) says he rides the drops and can reach the brakes. Color me skeptical.

Old 09-14-22, 07:33 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts

love the background.

when I see uncommon set ups, saddle most often, I see a the adjustment as a way to address a more basic issue. Really need to see the rider on the bike in use. Or at least a stationary trainer.
Likes For repechage:
Old 09-14-22, 08:35 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 265 Posts
IMO it's what works for the rider.
It's difficult for the rider when there is a comfort issue due to a physiological complication. A fitter, I was a "Fit Kit" certified 'fitter' for years, has to take in the complications of the rider and do what they can to make riding comfortable and efficient.
If it means the bars are tilted up and the brake hoods are moved into a non-traditional position but it means that the person can now ride their bike comfortably then that is the correct positions for the parts.
If the rider is just not used to the traditional, ie 'racing', position but wants to achieve the position they should work there way to it gradually with small adjustments over a longer period of time to allow their body to adjust.
I'd rather see the person riding with an 'odd' setup than not riding at all.
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 09-14-22, 08:57 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
I know this is in C & V so what I am about to say does not apply as much as it does to the general road riding population.

I find it ironic how many riders purchase equipment, bicycles and components based on what the pros on World Tour Teams are riding, yet set them up in some of these cockamamie positions that said pros would never use.

For smd4 and BMCKid, I don’t exempt modern bars and brake shift levers from the same horizontal parallel to the ground position we’ve been advocating. I see no reason to set them up any different from vintage stuff. My vintage Pinarello has Campagnolo Ergo 8 levers set up that way on Cinelli 66 bars and my carbon 1o speed Shimano equipped bike has them set the same way on ergo bend FSA bars (never did like compact bars or compact cranksets. Sold them both off).
Old 09-14-22, 09:01 PM
1964Supersport

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Supersport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 25 Posts
Here is where I ended up, I think it will be ok for me.
Old 09-14-22, 10:56 PM
albrt 

That looks like an excellent setup, with a nice set of Paselas to boot.
Likes For albrt:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.