Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Keeping Feet Dry

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Keeping Feet Dry

Old 01-13-23, 12:08 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by imi
Iedit: censor didn’t like that 🤨 Canine hygiene bags then 😉
Can we not say poop?
Old 01-13-23, 12:10 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
On a tour I just don't like soggy shoes. That is a personal thing though. In colder weather it becomes more of an issue
Indeed - who hasn't gone to put on their boots, only to find that they're crispy after a heavy frost?
Likes For grumpus:
Old 01-13-23, 07:43 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
Originally Posted by niknak
Most of the water that gets your feet wet comes from the front tire. A full coverage fender does better than any shoe cover keeping your feet dry, except in downpours. Shoe covers will stop some of that but I've found that water will eventually find its way in. Like others have said, get shoes and socks that dry quickly and always try to have a pair of dry socks to slip into at the end of the day.
+2 on fenders.
I bought a beautiful used bike, and wanted to test it out before I decided to keep it. My wife and I took an overnight ride to see some short films selected from the Banff Mountain Film Festival in a town about 50 miles away. On the way back home the next day we had a pretty wet ride. I did not want to do anything to the bike until I made up my mind about keeping it, so there were no fenders on the bike.

The picture of my leg next to my wife's leg shows the difference fenders can make with water and dirt.

A little OT- A like-new Cannondale T2-- I still have it

Last edited by Doug64; 01-13-23 at 08:28 PM.