Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever hurt their ankle riding?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-30-22, 02:58 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts

Before the ****** patrol answers, yes, I have a doctors appointment. So eat that unhelpful ****posters.

So, I have lateral ankle pain. Unilaterally only. It’s been a mild annoyance for over a year now. It’s really been bugging a lot for the last few weeks. So it’s definitely getting worse. A compression brace seems to provide enough relief that I can mostly do whatever I want until the appointment, but it really isn’t getting better.

No injury or crash that would cause this, recently or in the past.

It has the hallmarks of an overuse injury but it’s hard to pinpoint a cause. So I’m basically asking if anyone has ever hurt their ankle from cycling. At this point, I’m just trying to eliminate variables.
Old 10-30-22, 03:02 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
Mine sometimes hurts, but not quite enough to take all of the screws out.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 10-30-22, 03:46 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Mine sometimes hurts, but not quite enough to take all of the screws out.
A totally sensible plan.

I’ve only got a screw in my toe. I suppose it’s possible that it’s changed my gait enough to bother the ankle, but doesn’t seem likely.
Old 10-30-22, 04:09 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,311 Times in 2,699 Posts
I've had a similar injury. It didn't hurt any more or less while cycling but I was careful with my movements when standing to climb. The doc said it was unlikely to have been caused by cycling and that if I didn't recall a specific incident we'd probably never know the cause. She advised I continue with the "alphabet exercise" which I'd found on the internet. It took at least six months for the discomfort to go away. Be interested to hear what your doc finds. Good luck.
Old 10-30-22, 04:11 PM
Koyote

Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Any recent changes to your pedals, shoes, cleat placement...Or anything like that?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-31-22, 01:36 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Might be an alignment issue. A bike fitter who's an ergonomics expert could help with that.

For some folks it might be wedges in the cleats, arch supports, different shoes, etc.

And the body can change with different workouts. I have narrow feet with high arches, and tend toward pronation. When I resumed running in 2020 I needed arch supports, sometimes double thickness of insoles, to get adequate support for the arches and to correct pronation. But over time my feet and legs changed a bit. I needed less aggressive arch supports. And I was able to remove the wedge from one shoe/pedal arrangement on one bike. If I stopped running, jogging and walking so frequently my feet might revert and those old problems my recur, I dunno.

And switching from clipless pedals and cleated shoes to platform pedals might simplify matters. There are some good flat pedals around. I use iSSi Thumps on one bike and like 'em so well I've considered putting them on one of my road bikes. The iSSi Thumps have a fairly generous, slightly concave surface that conforms naturally to my feet. I don't need to wear any particular shoes. I have cycling shoes with stiff soles, but often wearing whatever running or walking shoes I already had on that day. And I can move my feet around to suit how I feel.
Old 10-31-22, 05:28 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I have terrible ankles and it's one of the reasons I turned to biking in the first place. The only time I ever had problems with my ankle on the bike was a short-lived experiment with toe clips. The small amount of resistance on the upstroke really hurt after repetition. Now I ride strictly on platforms as I'm not willing to try any kind of binding.

No idea if this is relevant to the op, but you were asking for our experience. If you're clipping in, you could try riding platforms for a bit and see if it at least stops getting worse.

BTW, there's a world of difference between posts like yours that say "I'm seeing a doctor, but..." and people who post for advice instead of seeing a doctor. There's no reason for you to have been nasty about telling the latter to go get medical advice. I don't appreciate the namecalling and being told to "eat it" for having told other people not to look for bicyclists to give them advice about chest pains and the like. There's frequently people who post about things that could be symptoms of very serious problems so I think humoring such people is probably the direct opposite of "helpful." Spare us the inevitable "that you would see yourself in my insult says more about..." because telling those people to get medical attention is the most appropriate thing to do.
Old 10-31-22, 06:22 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
I partially ruptured my left achilles, a sprained my right ankle, got road rash on the left, and a dog bit my right. I was able to ride with all of them. The sprain required a soft brace that laces up, you can buy them on Amazonsky.

I'd recommend finding an Orthopaedic who is also an athlete or at least exercises. The guy I went to told me right ankle is half way to a sprain just sitting in a chair and I needed orthotics. What a waste of $1000 for those things. The off the shelf $50 ones were much, much better. My right ankle was broken by a slap shot in my younger years. I'll post gory pictures sometime later.
Old 10-31-22, 09:32 AM
streetsurfer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 149 Posts
Walk a treadmill. Rotate from a normal walking position to one where you are quartered to, then quartered fro, walk sideways, and walk backwards as well. Walk at each 1/8” of a rotation of your body on the deck. This will strengthen the stabilization muscles surrounding and supporting your joints and prevent errant tracking and rubbing.
If not barefooted, wear light flexible soft soled shoes like five fingers, so your foot arches also benefit the most from this work.

Last edited by streetsurfer; 10-31-22 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-31-22, 09:33 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
I was doing a stupid steep climb near the Hollywood sign and it suddenly felt like a knife had been stuck into my left ankle. After that I started using a compression wrap and a soft ankle brace for about a year. It is now almost 2 years from the injury and it doesn't bother me much but I still put a little athletic tape on before longish rides.
I don't know why it happened, maybe my cleat position was off a little. I've done steeper climbs since then and not had a problem.

I tweaked the other ankle on the motorcycle in the late 80s and I saw 2 doctors and got x-rays, etc. They basically said if you can walk on it, we aren't doing any surgery. Went through steroid treatments and some other crap.
For years that one would pop at night and wake me up. Still pops sometimes but it's not painful.
Likes For big john:
Old 10-31-22, 10:04 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Before the ****** patrol answers, yes, I have a doctors appointment. So eat that unhelpful ****posters.
The best defense is a good offense.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-31-22, 10:22 AM
b88

Bikes: Specialized

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
It might have been building up from daily cycling but my ankle became quite swollen around the bone area after one ride breaking in new shoes. I use flat pedals and my feet can shift around. It's been almost a month off the bike. I'm still limping around and can only tolerate short walks, ie. to groc store, etc.

I have a doc's appt this week. More than likely his answer go see a therapist. Of course having flat feet do not help but I never had this issue before. Only when I start to test a couple pairs shoes. Which is absolutely great. I started accumulating cold weather gear looking forward to winter riding and I might be out of commission the rest of the year.

Last edited by b88; 10-31-22 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-31-22, 10:32 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,311 Times in 2,699 Posts
I'd forgotten until big john mentioned it but I used KT tape on my ankle for awhile. It's good stuff to keep around. Just read the instructions for best way to wrap.
Old 10-31-22, 10:58 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
i remembered I also bought another elastic ankle brace which is basically a long stretchy strap with Velcro on the end. I found it too bulky and constricting to use while riding.
Old 10-31-22, 01:20 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Good stuff y’all.

At this point, basically what we have learned is that yes, it’s possible. As to whether I did, that’s another mystery I may never solve.

I have one of those elastic and Velcro Amazon ankle braces. It’s quite good. Funny thing is that I can’t remember when I got it so it’s definitely been going on for awhile. Just recently started getting worse.

I have been in this brace basically all day since this time last week and it’s a whole lot better now. Feels basically terrible without it though.

For my various cockpits, nothing has changed and by hours, not miles, I’m pretty evenly divided between platforms and clipless.

Funny thing, I’ve spent thousands of hours climbing cracks mostly in the Canyonlands areas. It never bothered my ankle and it totally should have. Now that I’m older and spend my days off chasing my kids and going for smaller rides, I am having issues.

BTW, I’ve been having double vision and been peeing blood most of the day, should I get an ice pack for that? (That’s a joke).
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 10-31-22, 02:25 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Good stuff y’all.

At this point, basically what we have learned is that yes, it’s possible. As to whether I did, that’s another mystery I may never solve.

I have one of those elastic and Velcro Amazon ankle braces. It’s quite good. Funny thing is that I can’t remember when I got it so it’s definitely been going on for awhile. Just recently started getting worse.

I have been in this brace basically all day since this time last week and it’s a whole lot better now. Feels basically terrible without it though.

For my various cockpits, nothing has changed and by hours, not miles, I’m pretty evenly divided between platforms and clipless.

Funny thing, I’ve spent thousands of hours climbing cracks mostly in the Canyonlands areas. It never bothered my ankle and it totally should have. Now that I’m older and spend my days off chasing my kids and going for smaller rides, I am having issues.

BTW, I’ve been having double vision and been peeing blood most of the day, should I get an ice pack for that? (That’s a joke).
Have you tried taking nickel/cadmium supplements for the double bloody pee vision? (also a joke, I liked yours).

There's a lot of things that can affect your joints including changes in weight, inflammatory process, running around, general mishegas. I hope the doctor can sort it out for you.
Old 10-31-22, 11:31 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 339 Posts
My ankle pain is subjective. It can happen after cycling, hiking or even having my legs crossed under my chair for too long. Which makes me look like Festus when I go for a coffee

"Marshall, Marshall Dillon"
Old 11-01-22, 06:02 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts

So, I have lateral ankle pain. Unilaterally only. It’s been a mild annoyance for over a year now. It’s really been bugging a lot for the last few weeks. So it’s definitely getting worse. A compression brace seems to provide enough relief that I can mostly do whatever I want until the appointment, but it really isn’t getting better.

It has the hallmarks of an overuse injury but it’s hard to pinpoint a cause. So I’m basically asking if anyone has ever hurt their ankle from cycling. At this point, I’m just trying to eliminate variables.
Since you have a doctor's appointment, there was no need to even start the thread. I guess it's for trashing other posters. But since you asked, it could be tendonitis. Around June of this year, I decied to attempt a self supported 1/2 IM around September using my gym as the base. I quickly upped my meager swim mileage and within a week or two got tendonitis in one of my ankles. Even though swimming(and cycling) are non weighted, low impact exercises, the sudden added ankle use/motion caused the overuse injury. I was also training to run a fall marathon. I dropped the swimming/cycling training and the tendonitis went away in a little over a month. Ran the marathon this past weekend. No ankle pain.

The marathon training program started in June for a marathon in October or later. The first weekend run was a 6 miler. Then a gradual increase in mileage each week until taper 3 weeks before the race to prevent overuse injuries. The last long training run before taper was a 20 miler.

Last edited by seypat; 11-01-22 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-02-22, 09:10 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
fwiw - I used to get gout in my big toe one 1 foot, after a long time I got it in the big toe on the other foot. I keep it under control w/o meds by modifying my diet. last Spring I goofed w/ the diet & had an unusual gout attack in one foot, in the mid-section like where my arch is. the whole middle of the foot got red & swollen & was painful. the toes were fine. I was convinced I broke something but nope. it took 2 rounds of steroids to treat the episode.

see post #1 (incl. photos) here
https://www.bikeforums.net/pills-ills/1250798-gout.html

I questioned the doctors & they assured me that gout can pop up in many places. if your issue is this, it will be easy to treat & control in the future

good luck with the Drs. appointment(s)

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-02-22 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-02-22, 09:13 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Since you have a doctor's appointment, there was no need to even start the thread. I guess it's for trashing other posters. But since you asked, it could be tendonitis. Around June of this year, I decied to attempt a self supported 1/2 IM around September using my gym as the base. I quickly upped my meager swim mileage and within a week or two got tendonitis in one of my ankles. Even though swimming(and cycling) are non weighted, low impact exercises, the sudden added ankle use/motion caused the overuse injury. I was also training to run a fall marathon. I dropped the swimming/cycling training and the tendonitis went away in a little over a month. Ran the marathon this past weekend. No ankle pain.

The marathon training program started in June for a marathon in October or later. The first weekend run was a 6 miler. Then a gradual increase in mileage each week until taper 3 weeks before the race to prevent overuse injuries. The last long training run before taper was a 20 miler.
I don't run but always wanted to run a marathon. How many weeks of training would it take? I am not looking to go real fast, maybe just under 4 hours. I'm old. Would 12 weeks be enough?
Old 11-02-22, 10:28 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
fwiw - I used to get gout in my big toe one 1 foot, after a long time I got it in the big toe on the other foot. I keep it under control w/o meds by modifying my diet. last Spring I goofed w/ the diet & had an unusual gout attack in one foot, in the mid-section like where my arch is. the whole middle of the foot got red & swollen & was painful. the toes were fine. I was convinced I broke something but nope. it took 2 rounds of steroids to treat the episode. I questioned the doctors & they assured me that gout can pop up in many places. if your issue is this, it will be easy to treat & control in the future

good luck with the Drs. appointment(s)
My big toe is fused. That means the joint was surgically removed and the remaining ends we attached with a screw. This happened due to climbing shoes, repetition, and bad luck. In the process leading up to this I got tested for gout probably 4 or 5 times. I can fairly confidently say it’s not that.

But t for your comment, yes, I’ve seen people with gout in their fingers and elbows. Good luck with that, I hear it’s a real pain.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 11-02-22, 10:44 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I don't run but always wanted to run a marathon. How many weeks of training would it take? I am not looking to go real fast, maybe just under 4 hours. I'm old. Would 12 weeks be enough?
Around 12 for a half and 23-24 for a full. Here's the training team I'm on. They have a virtual as well as a walking team this year. I heard there are 1900 people on the teams this year, but I don't think there's that many. A big portion of the runners in the Richmond area use the team to train for fall marathons across the country or world. Cheapest, easiest and most fun(that marathon training can be) way to train for one. I've been doing it for over 10 years now. There are subteams based on goals and pace times. Super competitive or just to finish. 3 hours and under pace or 4:30 to 7 hours and everything in between. There's a team/group for everyone. The oldest person on the team this year is 84! A good mix of people from early 20s up to that.

https://www.richmondmarathon.org/mar...training-team/

https://www.richmondmarathon.org/tra...training-team/

Last edited by seypat; 11-02-22 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-02-22, 11:02 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 719 Posts

Nothing really to add except I hope you get it sorted out. Since it has been going on for a while it will be difficult to pinpoint a cause, but the important thing is to get it taken care of. If biking is aggravating it though, you might want to scale back a bit on riding until it heals.

I have been dealing with a few injuries over the past couple of years, a stress crack in the left foot, as well as plantar fasciitis in that foot. Both started at the same time and I know the cause. That finally healed and then I tore the achilles tendon on my right foot in May. Thankfully it wasn't completely torn, but it was quite a while before I could walk decently. I still have some pain at times in that ankle, but I can walk, but running is still not really a good idea at this point. I had to take time off and let things heal. Truly annoying and it isn't fun starting over.
Old 11-02-22, 11:18 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 2,601 Times in 930 Posts
Yes. But my experience probably won't help you.. Way back in the 70s somebody said I should try "ankling". Not sure if I did it wrong, too much, too little or what. But my ankles started hurting. Went back to my natural pedaling, the pain went away.
Old 11-02-22, 12:43 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 719 Posts

Just a thought. Are you pedaling toes down? If so you may benefit from lowering your seat a touch, and on your clipless pedals moving your cleats back a touch, if they aren't already back a ways. I had ankle pain with my seat up higher and pedaling toes down, albeit my pain was the achilles. I am just thinking that there may be added stress on the ankle supporting itself whilst pedaling toes down with the foot further back on the pedals.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.