Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Merino hoody to replace original Chrome Cobra?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-22, 04:02 PM
nightfly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts

Had a Chrome Cobra Hoodie version 1.0 that I stupidly left somewhere while traveling. Looks like the newest version is a merino/poly blend with worse workmanship that people don't like.

Does anyone make something similar to the original Chrome?
Old 11-15-22, 07:34 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
I have A LOT of Chrome gear, but they do some weird moves with the features on their products--I've got the 2.0 hoodie and it is 100% Merino--super cozy - yet they took away the hoodie draw cords on that one, so you can't keep the wind from rushing down your neck. My bud has the new one though and he loves it (and the draw cords are back).
Old 11-16-22, 05:10 AM
nightfly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
My concern is that the poly makes it bulkier and I used to really like how the original one packed down pretty small so I would always take it with me traveling, hence how I lost it. Was thinking maybe the Mission Workshop Faroe. No zip but seems like a good layer.
Old 11-16-22, 08:13 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I have no clue how to proceed, but is the one you like so old that nobody could still have it in stock? Who knows, maybe some vendor has one in your size? Just a thought.
Old 11-16-22, 10:50 AM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by nightfly
My concern is that the poly makes it bulkier and I used to really like how the original one packed down pretty small so I would always take it with me traveling, hence how I lost it. Was thinking maybe the Mission Workshop Faroe. No zip but seems like a good layer.
My 2.0 is not really packable at all. It's pretty thick Merino (which is why it's so cozy). The new one I believe is much more packable than the 2.0 FWIW. My other fave company is Showers Pass--their stuff is lighter weight merino, packable. Less urban, more outdoorsy vibe though.

Last edited by pbass; 11-16-22 at 12:02 PM.