Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Belt Drives

Old 05-05-19, 10:24 PM
99spokes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Belt Drives

We just added a "Belt Drive" facet to 99 Spokes, which should make it easier to survey the options for new bikes with belt drives. I don't see as many as I would expect... are there manufacturers spec'ing belt drives that we're missing?

https://99spokes.com/bikes?features=Belt%20Drive
Old 05-07-19, 01:59 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
Co Motion offers belt drive on several models.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 05-14-19, 12:57 AM
larsbb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Nice homepage! I wish we had such offers in DK, where I live.
Old 10-12-21, 01:33 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I just came across this one, looks really nice. SS belt drive would probably be quiet as hell.

https://spotbikes.com/collections/bi...31914007461922

Likes For Lazyass:
Old 10-12-21, 06:21 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
There is no question belt drive is a great option for SS/FG. It might be standard on many bikes by now except for the added cost in configuring the bicycle frames to accommodate the seamless belt. But I hope folks aren't neglecting the rest of their drive train in the process. In other words, dirt is dirt and your cog and chain ring are still going to suffer from wear if you don't keep things as clean as possible. Just my $.02.
Old 10-12-21, 06:25 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 261 Posts
Priority Bicycles makes over a dozen belt drive models with belts.
Old 10-07-22, 01:34 PM
ThunderOne

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Older thread found by a search. Apologies for digging up bones but topic is relevant.

Do you find a belt drive beneficial for gravel bikes or would a chain be a better option? Wondering if the necessity for front chain ring swapping depending on course conditions be better suited for a chain drivetrain setup? Although the appeal for a belt drive is strong.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-07-22, 08:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
Originally Posted by ThunderOne
Older thread found by a search. Apologies for digging up bones but topic is relevant.

Do you find a belt drive beneficial for gravel bikes or would a chain be a better option? Wondering if the necessity for front chain ring swapping depending on course conditions be better suited for a chain drivetrain setup? Although the appeal for a belt drive is strong.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
I would have posted a new question this is a poor thread for it though slightly relevant.

It all depends on a ton of factors. Personally I really like my belt drive on my main commuter, no maintenance on it. However you might get a touch more mud than I would but still just a little rinse off or wipe down and no lube required and it will outlast a chain. If you are running single speed and change sizes often than a chain makes sense but if not I would probably go for a belt but if I was racing I would probably stick with a chain. But who really knows what you're needs are aside from you.

Gates is a great company and they are really supportive even when they don't need to be. I would love to run a Pinion with a fixed gear belt drivetrain and disc brakes that would be a sweet set up if it could work, a geared fixed gear that isn't Sturmey Archer stuff that isn't so good from what a lot of folks have said over the years.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 10-08-22, 10:53 AM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 867 Times in 443 Posts
Turned my 1993 Zipp2001 into a Gates Carbon Belt Drive single speed a few years ago and am just loving it.
Likes For ZIPP2001:
Old 11-10-22, 03:06 AM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
There's some other threads about belt drive on here. I've made some comments about the Gates Center Track.

I have a freewheeling Spot steel hard tail single speed mountain bike that I really enjoy riding. It does the job well.

But my experience is that over all chain drive is better. I ride chain drive single speeds as well on some of the same trails.

The reasons are:

​​​​​​Chain drive offers a wider variety of ratios for less money. Chain drive is actually a bit easier to work on when you actually do any service. Granted, it is true that the belt doesn't need any attention once it is properly installed (and tensioned).

​​​​​​My belt drive bike is not as quiet as my chain drive single speeds can be (when they properly maintained). There is a sort of buzzy sound at high torque which can be temporarily silenced by squirting water on it, or by using silicone spray belt dressing. I did try belt dressing for a couple of years on a regular basis, and it works, but it seems like a defeat to use it (and it would dry out on long rides). The buzz is only there in very low humidity. If it is damp outside there's no noise. I've tried various tensions and have not been able to adjust it away. It seems like certain kinds of trail dust are the cause (but I don't know if that's true).

So for me the belt drive SS MTB is incredibly excellent for wet rides as the bike is quite impervious in situations where the chain drive bikes would be in dire straits.

Appreciate that this is my experience and opinion.

In the belt drive favor, the response and feel is better than a chain. This is a quality that I separate from the freewheel engagement (Chris King on this build).

I've accepted and read that the belt is less efficient than a chain. However my experience is that the difference is so small that it doesn't make a big difference (to me). I think the air pressure in the tires is an area with much greater potential efficiency loss.

​​​​​​My wife has a belt drive utility bike with an Alfine hub that is perfect for those around town trips for groceries etc. It's ideal really. That bike is just ready to go all the time.

I still ride my belt drive MTB a lot and love it. Sometimes I think about going back to chain drive on that bike though. I won't, since I have alternatives. But if it was my only bike - that bike would be chain drive.
Likes For Sorcerer:
Old 11-10-22, 07:24 AM
TugaDude

Sorcerer said "Appreciate that this is my experience and opinion."

And it is extremely valuable. Always good to read posts from people who have ridden both chain-driven and belt-driven setups.

I may never purchase a belt-compatible frame, but then again, never say never. Reading posts like yours and Veganbikes are helpful.
Old 11-15-22, 06:43 PM
Phantom Dreamer

Bikes: State Klunker, Novara Transfer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
Priority Bicycles makes over a dozen belt drive models with belts.
Priority Sauce is the newest release.
Old 11-15-22, 09:03 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer
Priority Sauce is the newest release.
Just FYI that post was over a year old. However I do dig this bike to a degree kind of a little single speed klunker-esque bike. Don't love the CDN instead of CDX and odd no-name brakes aren't inspiring but suspension corrected, dropper ready (though they should have done a Anguel/Breezer Hite-rite or asked to copy it) isn't bad.

If it were steel and 100 bucks cheaper or the same price with CDX I might gotta get one and have some fun with it.
Old 11-17-22, 10:42 AM
TugaDude

FWIW, the Sauce is $50.00 off right now on sale.