Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Hardtail XC bike purchase advice: Cannondale Scalpel HT vs BMC Twostroke 01

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-22, 06:30 AM
mango

Bikes: '00 Nonfunctional Stumpjumper Comp hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Considering a Cannondale Scalpel HT Carbon 2 versus a BMC Twostroke 01 Two. Both are modern geo XC hardtails with pretty similar geometries. The Cannondale has a Lefty Ocho fork, Stan's Crest MK4 wheelset, and XT components, whereas the Twostroke has a SID Select, DT Swiss XR 1700, and GX components. Can order either at ~15% off list, with Twostroke ~$400 more expensive. I'll be riding on mix of gravel and flowy trails. Which one would you go for and why? Thanks!
Old 12-26-22, 09:05 AM
Conman_

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cannondale because they have lifetime warranty on frame
Old 12-26-22, 11:05 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Have you test ridden them both? Find which one you liked better in your test ride! I would say BeerCannnondale only because it is Shimano but I am personally not a fan of the Lefty. I just don't like having a single sided fork. We know it is a fine fork and works as they have been around awhile and many people have ridden them but I just don't care for them.

The warranty bit that Conman_ mentioned is a big thing. I don't know either of their warranty structures but yes lifetime is handy on a new bike. Specialized replaced my Langster after a crack in the B.B. after 11-12 years so it was a pretty good deal.

However it really comes down to ride on each and sure maybe a 10-20 minute test ride may not really give you the full picture it will give you enough to say I like this one or this one better or maybe none of the above.
Old 12-27-22, 06:53 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Between the two with that kind of price difference I’d probably go Cannondale

I would rate an XT build kit as a huge plus over anything SRAM, However the Sid On the other bike is a seriously nice piece of kit compared to the peg leg
Likes For DMC707:
Old 12-29-22, 05:33 PM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 146 Posts
Mountain Biking UK loved the Cannondale in their recent review.

BMC is often called "break my carbon", so that is part of respecting warranty also. I do not know anyone who has bought a second BMC. One and done.
Old 12-29-22, 05:37 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,056 Times in 3,809 Posts
If you can tolerate the look of the Lefty, the C-dale is a better spec'd bike, especially at a cheaper price. That said, my personal thoughts about the Lefty would have me buying the BMC (which I almost did before I picked up a Trek Procaliber on the used market).