Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Offset rims & tubeless

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Offset rims & tubeless

Old 02-05-23, 11:42 AM
Telkwa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Offset rims & tubeless

Sorry to keep asking newbie questions on the same subject, but does anyone do anything differently when setting up t/l on offset (or asymmetrical) rims? It's upsetting to me that the valve stem nut doesn't seat down evenly on my offset rims.

I'm trying the FSA offset rim washers. I like them so far. If the washer splits in two I'll be stuck on the trail and cursing my choices

This isn't a very good picture, but you can see the FSA washer in between the Muc-off stem and Duster Elite rim.
Old 02-05-23, 06:55 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5756 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,395 Posts
When one ventures off the beaten path mechanically it's analogous to riding off track in an unfamiliar area.

You need to read the trail and react and improvise as necessary.

So, the valve doesn't seat squarely? Improvise a fix; maybe a rubber grommet, carve a spacer block and seal with silicone, maybe just a ton of silicone is enough?

So, all I can advise is to either stick to the reliable designs of the pros, or work to develop your own skillset, then the confidence to go without a map.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-05-23, 07:12 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
The critical interface between stem and rim is on the inside of the rim. The nut and interface on the outside of the rim just has to pull the stem into the rim with a right (modest) amount of pressure.

That FSA washer sure looks like it's the right component for the job.
Old 02-06-23, 11:25 AM
Telkwa

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Understood that the sealing is on the inside of the rim.

I just don't like it that some of the valve stem nut is contacting the rim and more than half is hanging out there in mid-air. It's lame.
Old 02-06-23, 12:14 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
The valve needs to be centered in the channel. The channel needs to be centered between the beads.

Diamondback got this wrong on their Blanchard rims in the late-2010s and it caused seating problems for the tires. They offset the channel to match the spoke drilling, and so there was no "shelf" on the narrow side between the channel and the side wall to guide the bead to its seat. When you hit it with the compressor the wide side would seat and the narrow side would flutter. I don't know if they have changed it since then.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 02-06-23 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-06-23, 01:33 PM
Telkwa

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm pretty sure the valve stem and the hole are in the center of the channel. That's not the problem. The problem is the asymmetric profile causing the nut to perch on one edge.

I'm surprised it's been so difficult to get a clear answer. This has to be a common situation.
Old 02-06-23, 03:16 PM
well biked

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
We 've sold a few FSA wheelsets that use those offset washers. It's been awhile, but I don't remember the presta nut contact with the top of the washer being a problem at all on tubeless setups. As stated before, the key is getting the valve stem's rubber grommet/seal on the other side of the rim FIRMLY into the valve hole. The presta nut is only holding that in place, not creating the actual seal. So the fact that part of the presta nut isn't contacting the top of the offset washer is really a non issue, or at least it was for us; I don't remember any problems with setting those FSA wheels up tubeless for customers.
Old 02-06-23, 03:26 PM
well biked

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
Also, I'll add that the outside diameter of Muc-Off valve presta nuts is slightly larger (I believe) than a more standard presta nut that comes with WTB, Stan's, etc tubeless stems. That's probably making the nut hanging in "mid-air" more noticeable.
Old 02-06-23, 04:34 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by well biked
Also, I'll add that the outside diameter of Muc-Off valve presta nuts is slightly larger (I believe) than a more standard presta nut that comes with WTB, Stan's, etc tubeless stems. That's probably making the nut hanging in "mid-air" more noticeable.
plus the muc-off nut feels sloppier or maybe because the nut threaded part is thinner?
Old 02-06-23, 04:46 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by Telkwa

I'm surprised it's been so difficult to get a clear answer. This has to be a common situation.
Sorry, but life doesn't offer clear answers.

When using products as intended, we can rely on the expertise of those who designed them. But when going "off book" we need to rely on our own expertise.

Since there are many gradations of not perfect, you cannot expect consensus, especially without a clear basis, or detailed specific info. - photos, measurements, etc.
Old 02-06-23, 06:58 PM
Dean51 

Bikes: '8? Ciocc Mockba 80, '82 Ron Cooper, '84 Allez, '86 Tommasini Racing, '86? Klein Quantum, '87 Ciocc Designer 84, '95 Trek 5500, '98 Litespeed Classic, '98 S-Works Mtb

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 122 Posts
DT Swiss makes tubeless stems for their asymmetric (offset) rims. DT Swiss web info acknowledges the stems are designed for their rims, but states they may work for others. 'Not sure what rims you have, but consider contacting the manufacturer for a recommendation.....if you haven't done so already.

Dean
Old 02-07-23, 01:31 PM
Telkwa

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
While googling I saw some references to the DT Swiss offset stems. Didn't seem like they were available any more (?)

My rims are Bontrager Duster Elites.

Yeah, agree with well-biked. The Muc-off nut is a little bit larger. An O-ring is included in the Muc-off valve stems. There's a recess inside the Muc-off valve nuts that covers the O-ring as you tighten the nut. Like many of you have mentioned, the sealing is done inside the rim, not outside, but I liked the idea of the O-ring anyway.

If nobody has a problem with the valve nut perching on one edge, then I guess I should just move on. I've got very little experience with t/l and it's entirely possible that the things that trouble me are non-issues.
Old 02-07-23, 01:42 PM
FBinNY 

The angle of the stem as it exits isn't an issue, even though the nut doesn't seat squarely.

The issue is that the base won't be square yo thr rim's inner surface, and that's where you may need added measures.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-07-23, 01:43 PM
FBinNY 

The angle of the stem as it exits isn't an issue, even though the nut doesn't seat squarely.

The issue is that the base won't be square your rim's inner surface, and that's where you may need added measures to ensure a good seal.

Last edited by FBinNY; 02-07-23 at 01:58 PM.