Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Old 03-09-18, 09:57 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
I've been off the bike and out of the gym for three days in a row now. Some bug has grabbed me and knocked me down. I was negative for the flu, but I have "flu like symptoms". And then some. My turn, I guess.

Thinking of Ex today....
Old 03-12-18, 01:00 PM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
I had that garbage twice. It's no fun.
Got an email from Ex. To quote him...

Two punches away from a free Subway sandwich and small drink.
Old 03-12-18, 07:32 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

That guy....what a sense of humor!

Well, this bug is a gift that keeps on giving. It's NOT the flu, I've come back negative for the virus twice now. I'll feel okay, not completely right, but okay for a week or so and then down I go again. Weird.

But, anyway...

Yesterday I did the CD1 cadence drills, on the trainer. Coach told me I had been doing them "wrong, way too much power...", so I backed it down to an appropriate number. That number I derived from reading my power zone chart that Coach had prepared and had attached to the TRS. I wasn't doing the math correctly, in two ways. One, my FTP is low (we know that), so my power zones are low, as well. Zone five is pretty broad, though, because my top (sprint) number is relatively high. I had been riding one zone too high so I selected the correct zone. Next, high cadence will wear you down - something @Hermes pointed out to me last season. CD1 is 30 minutes long, 1 minute at 94 RPM and 1 minute at 118 RPM x 15. Power better be low if I want to live through it! To make a long story longer, I made it to the 27th minute when my body forcefully reminded me that it wasn't entirely over the bug I have been dealing with. Almost a stem sticker.

Today I did Zwift on the the track bike, on the trainer, in 78 inch gearing. Coach had me riding to the first sprint line in Watopia and contesting three sprints, looping back and resting 15 minutes between each.

That hurt.

It was good for me, though.

Then I watched Nate Koch's interview with Maximilian Levy. Terrific! Followed by @Heathpak's race report. Even better! And Ex's photo from the hospital. Best yet!
Old 03-13-18, 10:09 AM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Originally Posted by sarals
That guy....what a sense of humor!

snip>>>
Almost a stem sticker.
snip>>>

@Heathpak's race report. Even better! And Ex's photo from the hospital. Best yet!
Yes!
Old 03-14-18, 09:26 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Track bike on trainer with Zwift = no fun if the trainer is a dumb kind. 78 inch gearing, can't spin that for long on the trainer because of the resistance (it's an OLD Blackburn magnetic trainer - great for warmups, not much else). It has three resistance settings - 1 A Lot, 2 Even More, and 3 Too Much. You have to stop, get off the bike, and twist a knob on the motor thingie to change it. Enough of the whining, I made it work. I rode to the first sprint point on Watopia (it's right after the little town where you turn off to go to the volcano), did a sprint (Zwift says it's uphill so, it's the longest 200 meter sprint I've ever done), hit "back" and looped around for fifteen minutes so I could do it again, and then repeated that scenario one more time. 54-60 RPM with resistance for 45 minutes makes the hips sore!
Old 03-14-18, 03:55 PM
IBOHUNT

As has been told to me I've been doing a lot of 'cratered training'. 4 months is a soft neck collar played havoc and I've found all the weight all ya'll done lost so if anybody wants it back contact me:

im2fat@waddaheck.net

Work (full-time job and a part-time job (long story)) and life getting in the way.
Today was a "Run 30 minutes" day so I did a 5K on the treadmill.
Comments to coach will be...
Shot it up to 9 mph for a short stint just to see what it was like. Nobody should run that fast even from the Police.
@sarals - waiting on the comment police to ask me to change that. They can order a glass of ice water in xxxx too

Last edited by IBOHUNT; 03-15-18 at 05:36 AM.
Old 03-26-18, 05:15 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

I've given Coach quite a workout over the last week. I am lucky, lucky, to have him as my coach. He has helped me in so many ways, because, heaven knows this sport is not just about the physical. His experience and insight has literally taught me the mental game, and not only that, he's pulled me back when things have overwhelmed me. He knows me very well. I can't say it enough, I am so fortunate to be one of his athletes. And that he's put up with my (sometimes) BS!

On another note, VSC was fast for the LAVRA TT/Sprints this past weekend. I wasn't there, I was working, but I had a play by play via text from my "operatives" down there. The big news was that Lan, the woman who won the World Championship in the MW 60+ match sprint tournament at Worlds in October, rode a 13.6 second flying 200. That's below the current World Record. The appropriate UCI officials weren't present when she did it, so it's only going to go down as a USAC record, but even so. That's really impressive, and it's March. Her coach is cognizant of her peaking too soon, and he'll keep her on track. She's hella fast!

I'm working on building my tool chest up so I can race with her. Gym this morning, I leg pressed 475 pounds for two sets of 15 reps each. Right now, that's just about the top of my strength, but consider that I was doing 260 pounds two months ago and you can see how far I've come. I have further to go. I've been working at cadence, too, and that has been creeping higher and higher.

Coach told me not to worry about what other riders are doing. AzTR told me to "Look long". Two very wise people. I'm listening.
Old 03-27-18, 08:35 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
@sarals, bike racing can mess with your head. Half the battle is to not let it!

Enjoy your bikes and whatever comes. Glad the crisis has been weathered.
Old 03-27-18, 08:37 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by Heathpack
@sarals, bike racing can mess with your head. Half the battle is to not let it!

Enjoy your bikes and whatever comes. Glad the crisis has been weathered.
Indeed it can!

Hey, thank you, HP! And back atcha!!
Old 03-27-18, 04:56 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Coach told me I needed a Good Day at the Track. I had that day today, at Hellyer.

I geared up to 90 inches, and wouldn't you know it, I have the strength to back it up! Punched out the highest power number I've seen in years, and not by a little bit, it was over 40 watts. The gearing felt good, really good, and I was having a good time!
Old 03-28-18, 10:33 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
And yesterday, I rode the trainer. Made a couple of calls, watched the last 20k for both MSR and Ghent. Watching Nibali's move on the Poggio I heard this little voice say "remember when you would make a winning move like that?"

Foot and back held up pretty well. We're having a really lovely stretch of weather, I will likely try to get outside.
Old 03-28-18, 12:00 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Been a very encouraging training year so far. I feel more comfortable almost every time out on the TT Bike. Getting position down has been a challenge that I underestimated. First race was an underwhelming performance but was very easy. So I feel like there is a lot more there. Last couple weeks felt as strong as I have in many years.

Of course it's always something. My training schedule was a little out of sync with my upcoming race schedule. I'm going well, having fun, so of course lets add some workload! Had a really good weekend which would have been end of a cycle for me, normally followed by a couple days off. Instead I felt like crap doing some interval work yesterday to start the "extra" week. Might do a last minute tweak & err on the side of rest.
Old 03-28-18, 07:47 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

STR workout in the gym this morning, pushed 500 pounds for 15 reps on the two leg press, which followed 15 reps of 495 pounds. After the 495 pound effort, I thought, "that was hard, but lets see if that last 5 pounds is going to be the straw that breaks the camel's back and go all the way to 500". It was not! I'm starting to see results from the STR training regimen. I rode a 90 inch gear at the track yesterday and saw a big increase in sprint power. Coach had me doing sprints on the road bike following the STR session in the gym today, and I made slightly more power in those sprints. I'm encouraged!
Old 04-01-18, 11:34 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Two hour and 55km riding with my friends today. Longest ride since..July!

Some after affect but the big picture is I think I'm out of the tunnel.

Maybe. See other thread.
Old 04-02-18, 07:28 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Originally Posted by Racer Ex

Maybe. See other thread.
Old 04-03-18, 05:25 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by Racer Ex

Maybe. See other thread.
Old 04-03-18, 05:30 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

I'm in Carson, and I did the PCC Sprint Clinic last night at VSC. We did a rollers warmup (I fell off, getting that hurdle out of the way...), and then went into the series of workouts on the schedule for the night. I was paired with the current MW 60+ Match Sprint World Champion, who is a strong, strong sprinter and a delightful person. We started by doing a two lap motor paced warmup, the second lap being a hard jump on the motor. Then, we did flying 100 meter sprints, two each, taking turns following and then leading. Lastly, we did two mock match sprint duels, once again taking turns leading and following. It's April. However, the strength work I'm currently doing made itself known. Good stuff!

Tonight, I'm doing a Roger's Session. @Cleave has promised he'll be there! I'll hang on as long as I can.
Old 04-06-18, 03:23 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Many of you have probably heard by now that I was in an ugly crash during the Rogers Session Tuesday night. @Cleave was there and witnessed the aftermath. He also provided me with much needed support, I’m glad he was there.

What happened was this. I was riding in the low group in the pole lane and a larger group was up on the blue/stayers line. My GPS data confirmed that we had just slowed from 26 MPH to 21 (we were doing intervals), and as we rolled into turn three, a rider slightly ahead of me in the high group went down, slid down track into the woman in front of me and I hit both of them. We slid a good thirty feet after the impact, and it took a while before I was completely untangled from the mess and then loaded into the ambulance. I suffered skin tears and cuts on my left arm and hand, and contusions on my face, but the worst part was I received five broken ribs. None were displaced, but some do have multiple fractures. If you have had the misfortune to have had rib fractures, then you know how disruptive and severely painful they are.

The woman who had been in front of me was knocked out and concussed, and her helmet was completely destroyed. The rider who started the chain reaction received minor road rash and was otherwise okay.

My Giro Aerohead helmet was destroyed. Somehow my kit survived, and I wouldn’t let the ER staff cut it off of me. The bike received some damage, too. The rails on the saddle were badly bent, ruined, the back wheel has a ding in it, and there is blue paint embedded on the top of the steerer.

I’m off the bike for unknown amount of time. Nats is in jeapardy mainly because of the financial setback this is going to impose. I’m off work for at least a week, too. I have a wonderful support system of friends here, I’m being well taken care of.

All for now....
Old 04-06-18, 11:58 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

@sarals, that blows. Feel better soon. I hope you can make it to Nats but if not, maybe they will be closer next year?

Any insight into why the first woman (the origin of the chain reaction fall) went down?
Old 04-06-18, 12:01 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by Heathpack
@sarals, that blows. Feel better soon. I hope you can make it to Nats but if not, maybe they will be closer next year?

Any insight into why the first woman (the origin of the chain reaction fall) went down?
I hope Nats is closer next year! It's about time they were.

Yes, there is insight. She and I talked about it, and she's pretty sure she had a wheel touch with the rider in front of her. One of those "track things", they happen.
Old 04-06-18, 07:03 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Whoah.

Nasty shunt.
Best wishes for a speedy & full recovery.

-Bandera
Old 04-07-18, 08:55 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
Sara, I wish you a full and complete recovery.
Old 04-07-18, 09:55 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

@Bandera, and @Hermes - thank you, my friends.

Recovery is coming along. I'm a little more flexible than I had been since the mishap, but it's still very early, and I have a very long way to go yet. I saw my doctor yesterday, and he said (among other things) "I didn't expect to see THIS walk through my door today". He wants me to rest for at least two weeks. I'm okay, well, as okay as I can be, with that. Considering the severity of my injuries, I'll do nothing short of following his orders.
Old 04-21-18, 04:54 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

On the road to recovery from Velo-Q-Ribs, I got back on the trainer late last week for a easy spin test. It went reasonably well. Coach designed a plan for me right after that, and I have started on it. This morning was my first ride on real live pavement in over three weeks. I had a 5 minute top of pace interval to do, the same interval set that I've been (trying) on the trainer the past few days. Today, however, was a turning point. My ribs are sore, just sore, not stabbing, not limiting motion, not increasing in pain when I twist my torso. I rode well. Really well. I held the interval with little fanfare, other than my cardio being less fit than it was before the crash. My legs felt fine, though. My body felt fine! The cardio will come back, and it's looking as if my overall fitness will return fairly quickly. I hope so.
Old 04-21-18, 07:35 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Awesome, Sara!

Demain, on roule!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.