Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I'm sorry...some modern drivetrains are stupid

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I'm sorry...some modern drivetrains are stupid

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-20, 01:58 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3357 Post(s)
Liked 3,636 Times in 1,242 Posts
Originally Posted by mrv
I would love to get something like a 135mm rear hub with a 3X5 gearing and a lot less dish on the wheel. Wouldn't that give a long lasting durable rear wheel set up? I think so. It's OK to say tell me how I'm wrong. (and yep, I'm still talking rim brakes....)

ciao!
You're not wrong!

Many modern downhill mountain bikes are going to 7 speed rear cassettes but with narrower 11 speed cog spacing. Accomplishing the same thing you are describing. But disc brakes, and not 135mm spacing. But your reasoning is sound, at least according to people wanting to sell new DH bikes

Available up to 150/157mm "OLD"

As far as hub spacing, I believe things are mostly getting wider in the dropouts in order to help the chainstays swallow wider tires. AFAIK there really isn't much difference in freehub width between 8 speed and 12 speed. The trend towards wider tires is also driving the popularity of 1X systems since the wide chainstays and tires limit maximum chainring size. That's also why the a few new freehub standards have been invented, so that you can fit a smaller 9 or 10 tooth cog to make up for the limited chainring size.
Old 03-31-20, 02:04 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,008 Times in 1,107 Posts
I don't have any pictures but some folks take beautiful vintage race bikes, spread the rear drop outs to 130, put on a chromium plated 11-34, a derailleur with a 3X long cage, a triple crankset, and then the cockpit is crazy tall like monkey bars.....

At least that bike up there is orange and born that way.
Old 03-31-20, 02:21 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
So did I. And although the font style looks similar, I don't think there's a relationship between the two. The bikes are from Boulder CO, and bear names like "Thunder Pig".
Yeah the font is really similar. It makes me wonder if anybody's around anymore at Olivetti typewriters to complain about copyright.

That Valentine, BTW, was designed by Ettore Sotsass, and came with a beautiful case as well:
I know! I had one once (briefly). I used to repair and also flip typewriters, back when I lived in Vermont. I'd been looking for one for a while. I got it because the seller called it the "Valentines" and not the Valentine S" so it wasn't showing up in searches. Not the most money I made on a typewriter flip, but one of the top 5 no doubt. The most money I ever made on a typewriter flip was a 26" wide carriage LC Smith actuarial model, for doing ledger sheets, with small-caps type and decimal tabulator, that I sold to the owner of a local museum. It had yellow spray paint all over it, which I was able to remove with methylacetate to restore the original finish.

I still have 5 or so typewriters, mainly ones I really like or can't possibly sell.

My very first computer was also an Olivetti. An M15 laptop with a detachable keyboard and two 3.5" floppy disk drives:

OK, back to American bikes.
Ha, neat
Old 03-31-20, 02:25 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
I don't have any pictures but some folks take beautiful vintage race bikes, spread the rear drop outs to 130, put on a chromium plated 11-34, a derailleur with a 3X long cage, a triple crankset, and then the cockpit is crazy tall like monkey bars.....

At least that bike up there is orange and born that way.
I do that except for the DO spreading and crazy cockpit. Go with a standard GT RD as well.

Old 03-31-20, 03:03 PM
tashi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Yeah, derailleurs that work exceptionally well but aren't pretty are stupid. Holds the chain on in rough terrain? Stupid. Allows for the gear range of a traditional triple with just one chainring, shifter and derailleur? Stupid. Automatically swings out of the way instead of breaking when hit? Stupid.

Modern drivetrains aren't fragile. Mine have proven to be more durable than older designs from the 80's and 90's. Stupid, eh? Also, when I'm riding, they look just as good as old-school derailleurs - 'cause I'm not looking at them.
Likes For tashi:
Old 03-31-20, 03:16 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
I thought Olivetti made typewriters.

Obviously not the work of Ettore Sottsass or Mario Bellini.

The fork does have a bit of Ducati Monster to it.
Old 03-31-20, 03:20 PM
tashi

Originally Posted by Wildwood
It seems to me the size of the cassette dictates the sliding drop-outs to keep the rd out of the cogs across any range of adjustment (and for disc brakes too)

Sliding dropouts aren’t necessary for wide-range cassettes.
Old 03-31-20, 03:28 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Those transparent pedals are super light and awesome!
you are supposed to have those new custom medial cuneiform ti bone replacements with the outboard bearing and threaded cup.
Old 03-31-20, 03:36 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by droppedandlost
anyone care to explain the fork?
A truss built to the same stiffness and strength as a cantilever (all typical forks) can be built far lighter. I've had a chance to pick up TiCycles bikes built for off road with truss forks. The front ends weigh nothing. Engineers use cantilevers when they are the only feasible choice or weight and materials used isn't an issue. (The fork isn't the only weight savings. The steerer has almost no structural function and needs only be strong enough to handle the torque loads from the handlebars. (TiCycles has taken the design a step further. The front of the truss ties to the stem at the handlebars. Stem now is also no longer a cantilever. Now headtube can also be lighter since the rider load is transferred directly to the axle through the truss.)

Ben
Old 03-31-20, 03:48 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
you are supposed to have those new custom medial cuneiform ti bone replacements with the outboard bearing and threaded cup.
Because of liability issues, they will only do that surgery for the track crowd. Issue is with threaded cranks. As of now, the pin at the "foot" needs to be threaded into the crank. In a crash a rider will NOT release from that crank. Lawsuits will happen. But the track crowd have been doing bolt-in fastening, double toestraps, toestraps over clipless, etc. for years to prevent accidental un-cleats fixed at speed. Locked in for a crash? That's life. They wouldn't even think about suing.
Old 03-31-20, 04:00 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by tashi
Yeah, derailleurs that work exceptionally well but aren't pretty are stupid. Holds the chain on in rough terrain? Stupid. Allows for the gear range of a traditional triple with just one chainring, shifter and derailleur? Stupid. Automatically swings out of the way instead of breaking when hit? Stupid.

Modern drivetrains aren't fragile. Mine have proven to be more durable than older designs from the 80's and 90's. Stupid, eh? Also, when I'm riding, they look just as good as old-school derailleurs - 'cause I'm not looking at them.
Actually, I run the triples so I can cover dramatic terrain changes with just one or two shifts of the FD and maybe 1 shift of the RD. Shifting 7-8 times one way then the same back the other way gets old quickly. At least it does to me.
Old 03-31-20, 04:05 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Not stupid drivetrain. Rather serves double use as a wood shaper for balsa core, cloth resin wrapped frame- future DIY bike making when the World has its power shut down.

Old 03-31-20, 04:07 PM
tashi

Originally Posted by seypat
Actually, I run the triples so I can cover dramatic terrain changes with just one or two shifts of the FD and maybe 1 shift of the RD. Shifting 7-8 times one way then the same back the other way gets old quickly. At least it does to me.
Not that I was advocating for single-ring drivetrains over triples for everyone buuuuut: Put a modern derailleur on that triple and you'd get a quieter drivetrain and eliminate dropped chains.

Last edited by tashi; 03-31-20 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-31-20, 04:14 PM
seypat

Not that I was advocating for single-ring drivetrains over triples for everyone buuuuut: Put a modern derailleur on that triple and you'd get a quitter drivetrain and eliminate dropped chains.
I run friction barcons for the same reason. On an all day ride, it reduces the amount of physical shifting I have to do when I need to change gears. To be fair, I am never in enough of a hurry to worry about missing shifts.
Old 03-31-20, 04:15 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by droppedandlost
anyone care to explain the fork?
Jones Bikes makes titanium truss forks kind of like that, because titanium is so flexible it needs the extra triangulation. If that Olivetti fork is steel - I can't imagine why they'd make a truss fork out of steel.

Last edited by tyrion; 03-31-20 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-31-20, 07:15 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts

What then is the main advantage of these newfangled 1x setups? Is it mainly to prevent chain drop? Does it help with chain suck? I'm also wondering about these super low gears. What is a 32/50 useful for? That'd be about an 18.5" gear on a 29er. I haven't ridden a gear that low since tricycles... Seems like that's low enough that staying upright would take some effort. I can only imagine it's for getting traction on very very short very steep little hills and bluffs with lots of mud. Or is it for trials type stuff?

I'm not really a mountain biker, though I ride off road. No judgments, just wondering.
Old 03-31-20, 07:25 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
I'm also wondering about these super low gears. What is a 32/50 useful for? That'd be about an 18.5" gear on a 29er. I haven't ridden a gear that low since tricycles... Seems like that's low enough that staying upright would take some effort. I can only imagine it's for getting traction on very very short very steep little hills and bluffs with lots of mud. Or is it for trials type stuff?
If I had a bike like that, I would want a larger front sprocket.
Old 03-31-20, 07:54 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,693 Times in 2,515 Posts
What then is the main advantage of these newfangled 1x setups? Is it mainly to prevent chain drop?
1X got popular when there was a trend towards super-short chain stays. That made a front derailleur a pain. Now that there is at least some movement away from super-short chainstays, MTB are still stuck with 1X
Old 03-31-20, 07:58 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
1x.....

50T Front.
10-42 rear.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 03-31-20, 08:13 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

What then is the main advantage of these newfangled 1x setups? Is it mainly to prevent chain drop?
Yes, modern 1X rings use narrow-wide chainrings that effectively hold on to the chain better, since every other tooth is wider so that it matches the different widths between links of chain. This helps prevent the chain climbing up over a tooth on the inside or outside and falling off.

Does it help with chain suck?
Absolutely! Most 1X specific rear derailleurs have clutches in the pivot of the cage that prevent excessive and sudden movement forward of the derailleur cage. This helps keep the chain tension tight and helps to minimize chain slap.

I'm also wondering about these super low gears. What is a 32/50 useful for? That'd be about an 18.5" gear on a 29er. I haven't ridden a gear that low since tricycles... Seems like that's low enough that staying upright would take some effort. I can only imagine it's for getting traction on very very short very steep little hills and bluffs with lots of mud. Or is it for trials type stuff?
It's for climbing very steep terrain. On my 29er MTB, I run a 30x42 and often wish for lower gears so that I can sit and spin a bit more. It can be tough to stay upright, but that's just a given on some terrain anyways
Likes For abshipp:
Old 03-31-20, 08:13 PM
abshipp 

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
50T Front.
10-42 rear.

Were you able to use a single standard chain?
Old 03-31-20, 08:40 PM
tashi

Aside from what I’ve covered already the Main things are the clutch and the gear range. The chain can’t fall off (mostly) and no chainsuck either, particularly with a narrow wide chainring. Although chainsuck hasn’t hasn’t been a problem for the last ten years plus anyway.

Ditching the front d is a big plus for mountain biking. Fewer gears to keep track of, room for a dropper post lever on the bars and no issues with chain suck and botched front shifts. Less bashing chain rings as well.

The gearing is, well, personal preference. With a wide range 12-speed you can get over a 500% difference which allows for low gears for super steep and tech climbs while leaving good gearing for hauling ass out to the trails on the road. Simple for the manufacturers as well as one setup can accommodate everyone.

Personally, I have an 11-42 10-speed with an oval 32 up front (niner wheels) and it’s excellent for Vancouver Island technical mountain biking, particularly when you’re grinding up a super steep fire road or technical single track or you already have a couple hours of hard riding in your legs. Next cog stack will go to 45, I don’t want a 50. It’s hard to stay up going that slow, but it can save you from walking on super tech, super steep climbs and when you’re blown during long rides and also let you sit and spin so you have something in the tank for later. And a LOT of mountain Bikin is about it being “hard to stay up” for various reasons.
Likes For tashi:
Old 03-31-20, 11:03 PM
HTupolev

Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
I'm also wondering about these super low gears. What is a 32/50 useful for?
Hills.

I can only imagine it's for getting traction on very very short very steep little hills and bluffs with lots of mud.
Mostly not about traction. If anything, traction is often easier to come by in higher gears, since higher gears make it easier to avoid delivering torque spikes to the rear wheel that might cause the tire to slip from your pedaling forces. The main time that might stop being true is if you bottom out your gearing and start riding lumpy because you fail to stay on top of the higher gear.
When climbing super-steep gravel roads, if you need to stop, it's often a good idea to shift to a gear a few steps higher than what you were riding at. It means you'll need to push with a lot of torque to get rolling again, but you're less likely to have to fight rear wheel slippage, or running out of downstroke on first pedal stroke.

Like with low gears in general, super-low gears like 32-50 are mostly about not bottoming out your gearing. Sometimes it's also about being able to accelerate: bikes get jostled around more easily at lower speeds, so when you've got a rough patch on a steep climb, sometimes the easiest solution is to power through it with a brief speed burst.

Seems like that's low enough that staying upright would take some effort.
No. In your hypothetical situation, we're looking at about 4.4mph at 80rpm. Even bottomed out all the way down to 50rpm, it's still 2.8mph. If the riding isn't technical, those aren't difficult to speeds to ride at. Riding on flat ground at 2.8mph usually feels very weird, but that's because the normal pedaling cycle is part of our bicycle balance, and you aren't going to be pedaling with normal force and cadence if you're doing 2.8mph on flat ground.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 04-01-20, 03:53 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
What is a 32/50 useful for? That'd be about an 18.5" gear on a 29er. I haven't ridden a gear that low since tricycles... Seems like that's low enough that staying upright would take some effort.
That's about what is recommended for fully loaded touring. Most die-hard world tourers won't like a 1X setup because they are conservative and tend to prefer proven/readily available technology. But you see the technology a lot on long-distance randonneur bikes.

(Link)

Last edited by JaccoW; 04-01-20 at 03:56 AM.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 04-01-20, 06:06 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3807 Post(s)
Liked 6,675 Times in 2,607 Posts
Yeah, we should all be running Campy NR derailleurs with their cracked pulleys and narrow range, just like Eddie did!

Yeah, 1 x 11 is just stoopid.

Likes For nlerner:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.