Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do You Wear Team Logo Apparel?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Wear Logo’d Apparel?
No never, wouldn’t even think of it
57.14%
I only fly my own racing teams colors
16.33%
Enjoy logo’d apparel and makes me feel more racy
2.04%
Some times
15.31%
I mix and match logo’d and non-logo’d
11.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Do You Wear Team Logo Apparel?

Old 03-02-22, 09:54 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Like you, I don't care what others choose to wear - if it works for you, it works for you. Like you, I find it obnoxious to be told that my perceptions and experiences are wrong. What's doubly obnoxious in this case, is being told that by people who likely have limited common experience.

You find cotton comfortable - great. Everybody here has worn cotton shirts - we can make an informed decision to agree or disagree.

When it comes to opinions on good technical fabrics, which aren't as ubiquitous or accessible as cotton, I think that it's fair that people qualify their opinion. You find polyester uncomfortable and it sounds as if that's been the case for a long time. Fair enough... but with the strides in high-end technical fabrics in the last decade or so, are you really in a position to comment on their characteristics and your disposition towards them? This stuff ain't grandpa's, or even dad's, polyester.
I think I just did that, didn't I? Until you said lycra/spandex, I wasn't aware that's what we were discussing as being "high end", so I clarified that right away as soon as I saw your post.

The point I'm making, if any, is that sensitivities to elastic fabrics are actually quite common, so it's going to be irrational for a lot of people to experiment with such stuff in search of comfort, and I don't think it's doing them any favors to overstate the supposed evils of cotton as if comfort was an objectively measured factor. By its very nature, it has to be subjective.

I'm not telling you that you aren't more comfortable in good technical fabrics. Even if I was familiar with all of the technical specifications, I wouldn't be able to tell you how those fabrics are going to feel to you. I don't doubt your word that you are. I think we should just give people credit for knowing when they are or aren't comfortable as we're never getting better data than their own statements..
Old 03-02-22, 09:59 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
So these $99 to $132 Sugoi jerseys I won at biking events aren't any good?

https://us-store.sugoi.com/collectio...s-bike-jerseys
I don't know which of the 15 jerseys (on that page) you won, so I don't have an answer for you.

I do know that I've worn cheap jerseys, and I've worn nice ones, and I can quite easily discern the differences. So, either you've not really tried a nice jersey, or you don't discern the differences; that's all I can conclude from your claims that $20 jerseys are not much different from "expensive" jerseys. There's nothing wrong with either possibility, so you needn't be so defensive. If you're happy with $20 jerseys, that leaves more money for beer. I'm not telling you what to wear.

For reference, this is the best LS jersey I own, and this is one of my fave SS jerseys.
Old 03-02-22, 10:01 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Keep it up, people. 11 pages and going strong!

Likes For seypat:
Old 03-02-22, 10:23 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I don't know which of the 15 jerseys (on that page) you won, so I don't have an answer for you.

I do know that I've worn cheap jerseys, and I've worn nice ones, and I can quite easily discern the differences. So, either you've not really tried a nice jersey, or you don't discern the differences; that's all I can conclude from your claims that $20 jerseys are not much different from "expensive" jerseys. There's nothing wrong with either possibility, so you needn't be so defensive. If you're happy with $20 jerseys, that leaves more money for beer. I'm not telling you what to wear.

For reference, this is the best LS jersey I own, and this is one of my fave SS jerseys.
Nice looking jerseys. I refuse to pay that much for one though.

Leaves me more money for beer, bikes, bike parts, fly fishing equipment, ice fishing equipment, hunting equipment etc. I become selective on where I'll spend the high dollar and where I won't. I will spend the high dollar on a good pair of bike shorts though. I found it does make a difference in the saddle.
Old 03-02-22, 10:26 AM
Koyote

Nice looking jerseys. I refuse to pay that much for one though.
That's been my point all along: you don't really have an accurate frame of comparison for your claims. Now that you've acknowledged it, I hope you'll stop arguing.

And again, I'm not telling you to wear different clothes, nor to have different values.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-02-22, 10:55 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions

My quibble here is with people who are clearly stating subjective statements as undeniable truths. Sorry if that bugs you, but get over it.
A lot of what you call subjective statements are undeniable truths...Technical synthetic fabrics being more comfortable than cotton is just one of those undeniable truths.
Old 03-02-22, 10:59 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by wolfchild
A lot of what you call subjective statements are undeniable truths...Technical synthetic fabrics being more comfortable than cotton is just one of those undeniable truths.
EXACTLY! And some other "undeniable truths" are that blue is the prettiest color, mint chocolate chip is the best ice cream flavor, and The Godfather Part II is better than The Godfather.

Undeniable truths, all of them.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-02-22, 11:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Burn me at the stake for my apostacy then because I'm sure that skin sensitivity is going to more than negate that undeniable truth.

We all know people who are more comfortable in things and conditions we would find absolutely intolerable. You want to enlighten us with an objective way to measure comfort?

BTW, did you find anywhere I "advocated" cotton or told anyone else to ride in it? You still owe me an apology.

Last edited by livedarklions; 03-02-22 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-02-22, 11:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

EXACTLY! And some other "undeniable truths" are that blue is the prettiest color, mint chocolate chip is the best ice cream flavor, and The Godfather Part II is better than The Godfather.

I kinda think mint chocolate chip might be the most "love it or hate it" flavor. Nobody is neutral on it.

Making a pitch for Godfather III would be great for trolling, but I've never managed to sit through enough of it to make the pitch convincingly sincere.
Old 03-02-22, 12:16 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4839 Post(s)
Liked 7,828 Times in 3,708 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I find this totally shocking! You actually wear a shirt on a trainer?
My trainer is in my non-climate-controlled garage. On warmer days, I wear a sleeveless UA base layer, which does a really nice job handling my sweat. On cooler days, I've found that I'm actually too cold in the UA, and prefer the warmer layer of a cotton t-shirt.
Old 03-02-22, 12:19 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

I'm with you on 2 of 3. See below.

I kinda think mint chocolate chip might be the most "love it or hate it" flavor. Nobody is neutral on it.

Making a pitch for Godfather III would be great for trolling, but I've never managed to sit through enough of it to make the pitch convincingly sincere.
I'm neutral on mint chocolate chip. I like it okay, but it's not in my top 3.
Old 03-02-22, 12:20 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
I think we should just give people credit for knowing when they are or aren't comfortable as we're never getting better data than their own statements..
Sure, I don't disagree with that. To me, though, the crux of it is this -

"I'm comfortable in X."

Awesome! No problems whatsoever.

"I'm more comfortable in X than I am in Y."

This is more thorny because it implies both subjective superiority of one over the other and adequate familiarity with both X and Y. If the adequate familiarity is there - sweet. But, if follow-up comments are diametrically opposed to the general consensus, I think that it raises question marks about their level of familiarity and I think that it's fair to ask qualifying questions about their level of familiarity. That's essentially where we were with my head-scratching emoji after your "pooling under the poly" comment, because it was SO contrary to my experience and, I think, that of the vast majority of my peers.

Honestly, about a dozen years ago, I wasn't too far off from your position - I didn't like synthetic jerseys and I avoided them; the jerseys that I had were fine merino wool. Synthetics have made big strides since then, IMO. While I still like merino in certain conditions, good synthetics now comprise the majority of my cycling attire. If one doesn't have recent experience with good quality synthetics, I think any judgement calls on their shortcomings are suspect, at best. It's like someone saying that Android/iOS does this and that poorly when they haven't used it since 2.0.
Old 03-02-22, 12:22 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
To me, mint chocolate chip is like hanging out with a small-doses friend - it's great fun once in a blue moon, but it gets old quick.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-02-22, 12:30 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
Have not read all 11 pages of input, ,

BUT, as a cyclist on the road, being somewhat unique, everyone makes a statement. Bland or colorful, neutral or exotic.

I go both ways.
Also, this thread could use more jersey pics.

A unique logo for a select Team

I ride bikes. I do not name them. Sometimes I buy them jerseys.

One for the Swiss Mondia

Front pockets are handy

apologies for big nose, facilitates big lungs.

Banesto - team logo in my dreams.

edit: needed = AustroDaimler size XL Qty 3???

Last edited by Wildwood; 03-02-22 at 01:20 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 03-02-22, 12:31 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 223 Posts

Nice looking jerseys. They aren't splattered all over with team logos making someone looking like a TDF wannabe. I'd only balk at the expense. $190 & $200 is a lot of $$ to fork over for a jersey.
Old 03-02-22, 12:41 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Sure, I don't disagree with that. To me, though, the crux of it is this -

"I'm comfortable in X."

Awesome! No problems whatsoever.

"I'm more comfortable in X than I am in Y."

This is more thorny because it implies both subjective superiority of one over the other and adequate familiarity with both X and Y. If the adequate familiarity is there - sweet. But, if follow-up comments are diametrically opposed to the general consensus, I think that it raises question marks about their level of familiarity and I think that it's fair to ask qualifying questions about their level of familiarity. That's essentially where we were with my head-scratching emoji after your "pooling under the poly" comment, because it was SO contrary to my experience and, I think, that of the vast majority of my peers.

Honestly, about a dozen years ago, I wasn't too far off from your position - I didn't like synthetic jerseys and I avoided them; the jerseys that I had were fine merino wool. Synthetics have made big strides since then, IMO. While I still like merino in certain conditions, good synthetics now comprise the majority of my cycling attire. If one doesn't have recent experience with good quality synthetics, I think any judgement calls on their shortcomings are suspect, at best. It's like someone saying that Android/iOS does this and that poorly when they haven't used it since 2.0.
If it's better to state "I'm more comfortable in cotton than the polyesters I'm not sensitive to", I'll be happy to stipulate to that. I cannot have the capacity to test whether I'd experience the fabrics you're discussing as more comfortable than cotton given the fact that the inherent characteristics of those fabrics will cause me discomfort. Had I realized that we were discussing lycra/spandex up front, I would've stated that.

I still think that a statement that something is objectively or scientifically more comfortable is an inherent contradiction in terms, but I don't think we're arguing about that. I agree that in making purchasing decisions, I'm far more likely to listen to the experiences and opinions of people who can actually use the product. OTOH, my condition being far from unique or even unusual, I think it could be interesting to someone similarly "afflicted" to know that someone has acclimated to the point of being comfortable in cotton.
Old 03-02-22, 12:43 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Wildwood

BUT, as a cyclist on the road, being somewhat unique, everyone makes a statement. Bland or colorful, neutral or exotic.

I go both ways.

One for the Swiss Mondia

Front pockets are handy

edit: needed = AustroDaimler size XL
And there's a good game there--find the COVID haircut.
Old 03-02-22, 12:45 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

That's just it. These jerseys are made in the same places (Presumably China) as the $80-$100 jerseys that say Specialized, Trek, Giant or whatever team logo or big brand name may be on them.
Almost all of the cycling clothing I own is made in the US. My road team/club kit stuff is Voler. The jerseys I tend to wear on the MTB are Twin Six.

If $20 Chinese jerseys work for you, cool. Do your thing. However, some of us appreciate the small details that are included in current higher-end jerseys (multiple fabrics, seam profiles, etc.).
Old 03-02-22, 12:46 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

To me, mint chocolate chip is like hanging out with a small-doses friend - it's great fun once in a blue moon, but it gets old quick.
Drop the cone, take the cannoli. (Godfather call back).
Old 03-02-22, 12:47 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

You were the one that cherry-picked those rides as being characteristic of hard rides, not me. As far as these, sorry, but I remain unimpressed.
I am. 7 hours averaging almost 200W is a pretty damn good effort.
Old 03-02-22, 12:56 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
What about a team Lego jersey?

Old 03-02-22, 01:10 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood

I go both ways.

One for the Swiss Mondia

Front pockets are handy

edit: needed = AustroDaimler size XL
All of those are amazing and awesome. Well done.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 03-02-22, 01:10 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,888 Times in 1,646 Posts
I've lost track of this thread. I hope the fashion police posting here will provide concise lists of which outfits are compulsory and which are forbidden.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 03-02-22, 01:13 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Technical synthetic fabrics being more comfortable than cotton is just one of those undeniable truths.

Subjective opinions are not and can not be undeniable, nor truths, except for the holder. But you know this. You just like to post your nonsense because it's an undeniable truth that you are a troll.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 03-02-22, 01:25 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I am. 7 hours averaging almost 200W is a pretty damn good effort.
As he pointed out, however, those power numbers are Strava estimates.

For perspective, I did a very similar route to the one you're referring to: 83.5 miles, 4,002 ft., 197 W ave (measured), 18.6 mph ave. His 12 mph ave for 86.3 miles, 4,144 ft. implies much less than 197 W, unless he weighs significantly more than my 80 kg.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.