Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Slowing Down?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Slowing Down?

Old 04-01-22, 04:39 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I am a little older than OP and I basically started from zero recently due to an accident in September. I would say it is a little harder to rebuild endurance fitness and it has to be age. My approach is building up more slowly than in the past. I used to be able to increase training load 15% per week for three weeks and then take an easy week. Repeat. After 2 months, I'd have my volume for long rides. I am shooting for 5-10% increase per week now. It seems like it is working but very slow progress.
I set a new PB for power yesterday on my 5 minute training hill. I have been using a power meter for around 9 years and ride that hill hard about once every 2 weeks. I can't ride very far due to pain, so, I have been riding short and very hard intervals.

I am 45 pounds over my 2015 weight of 182 and 35 pounds over my 2016 weight when my riding was strong. My best time in 2015 was 4:26 and all time best in 2016 was 4:06. I did 4:30 yesterday weighing a porky 227. I had started eating more protein in 2015/16 and gained muscle and power. After my accident in September, it took 3-4 months before being able to sleep and the last thing my Doc said was not to eat enough when healing 10 broken bones.

Well, I gained weight and that is why I am slow.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 04-01-22, 03:47 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by OldCoot
So sorry to hear of your diagnosis of prostate cancer. I of course have no knowledge of your particulars so can not comment on your situation, not to mention it would possibly come off as arrogant. I can say that I had prostate cancer nearly 10 years ago, and I am still alive and riding. Of course after surgery there was a period where I could not ride, but it was temporary. Most useful to me was having a close friend who had gone through this a few years ahead of me. He was most gracious listening to my thoughts, concerns and feelings, which helped me tremendously.

As the old saying goes, "Keep on trucking".
Glad to read that you came through your treatment in great condition and things have gone well. regarding what I bolded -- Unlike some I never take offense since we are all *brothers in arms* in the desire to overcome our predicament. A little difference in my diagnosis is that I am a member of the 5% PCa (Prostate Cancer) grouping. That means that only 5 men of every 100 diagnosed World Wide have biopsy results as bad as mine. Finally made it to the top of the ladder only it's not the way I wanted.

Bike ON.
Old 04-01-22, 03:51 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Originally Posted by rsbob
aging sucks
Thankfully I've made it to almost 72 and am still vertical and riding but there has been many men on PCa Forums I am a member of who have not made it to 50.
Old 04-01-22, 06:53 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Usually few people read past the first page, but since I have nothing else to do…

In December 2020 I had a ‘mild’ case of the Coof. I treated it with Tylenol and Diet Coke.

I then headed down to Florida, where I bemoaned my lack of fitness.

Fast forward to 2022. I feel WAY better this year than I did last year. I did not really understand how weak the Coof left me until I was about a year out.

One unappreciated downside: I lost my sense of smell for about 11 months. I could get into farting contests with impunity. A sense of smell is an overrated sense, IMHO.

Old 04-01-22, 10:07 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,826 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Thankfully I've made it to almost 72 and am still vertical and riding but there has been many men on PCa Forums I am a member of who have not made it to 50.
The PCA I know and am a member of is the Porsche Club of America. Considering that most members only drive and eat crappy food, I would not be surprised that they would be dying early too. What PCA do you know?

Old 04-02-22, 02:57 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
canklecat Prednisone and prednisolone are steroids...
Yup. For years I've noticed some boxers -- a sport I've followed for decades -- suddenly develop some type of inflammation that required an injection of Prednisone just before a major fight. When timed just right you get a significant turbo boost.

Almost every major ticket selling boxer of the past decade has been doped to the gills. There's no way these guys who begin their careers at flyweight or bantamweight as young adults magically reach welterweight or light middleweight later while still being lean and muscular. In the entire history of boxing there was never a comparable example of this kind of weight gain of lean muscle before the era of steroids, HGH, EPO, and blood doping. Among the first was probably Michael Spinks when he went up from light heavyweight to heavyweight to face Larry Holmes, while still being lean and muscular. But in the 1980s no meaningful testing was being done, or even available. Evander Holyfield was notorious for doping to gain from light heavy as an amateur to cruiserweight as a young pro, to a very muscular and lean heavyweight. He was so bad at covering up for it he used a thinly veiled fake name to ship the stuff to his own home address. Everyone was doing it. The guys who were "caught" and busted were just the guys who weren't big ticket sellers, or a PITA to promoters and didn't have enough friends and clout to get away with it -- such as James Toney, a great old school boxer, but a notoriously arrogant loudmouth, gym bully and PITA.

The rest -- like Mayweather, Pacquiao, Manuel Marquez... basically any of Mayweather's opponents -- get away with it because there's too much money to be made and spread around to the promoters, venue hosts, networks, judges, doctors, boxing officials, boxers themselves and their crews and entourages. The unwritten policy is that as long as everyone is doing it, it can't be cheating.

Interesting, though, when Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao finally met in the ring, Pacman suddenly developed inflammation and requested permission for an anti-inflammatory injection, which was denied. It seemed odd because he was almost certain doping throughout training, then tapering and cleaning up just before the gratuitous show of PED testing before the fight. My guess is that Pacquiao knew Mayweather was doping equally and wanted an additional edge just before the bout.

The downside is it suppresses the natural cortisol response, so there's often a physical and mental letdown or crash later. The usual oral tapered dosage pack is intended to minimize that effect. In previous years when I've needed Prednisone for upper respiratory inflammation, bronchitis or pneumonia, I had no problems with the taper. But I crashed hard in October and November 2021 after taking the tapered dosages as prescribed. But the effect the first two or three days was great -- strongest and fastest I've felt in years. But it doesn't last.

At times during his career, Evander Holyfield would seemingly inexplicably fade during a fight, gas out and be on the verge of being knocked out, or getting knocked out. Holyfield was known to be a gym rat, an extremely hard worker. So it wasn't lack of conditioning. I suspect it was a combination of overtraining, and poorly timed intake of steroids. If the timing isn't just right the user crashes. The pro cycling peloton mastered this game by the late 1990s, but there were some notorious examples of guys who rode stages way beyond their established abilities, suddenly fading in other stages, because their PED usage wasn't optimal. There's an entire YouTube channel devoted to this stuff, and it's often hilarious, delivered with snarky overtones, but very persuasive.
Old 04-02-22, 07:00 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by canklecat
Yup. For years I've noticed some boxers -- a sport I've followed for decades -- suddenly develop some type of inflammation that required an injection of Prednisone just before a major fight. When timed just right you get a significant turbo boost.

Almost every major ticket selling boxer of the past decade has been doped to the gills. There's no way these guys who begin their careers at flyweight or bantamweight as young adults magically reach welterweight or light middleweight later while still being lean and muscular. In the entire history of boxing there was never a comparable example of this kind of weight gain of lean muscle before the era of steroids, HGH, EPO, and blood doping. Among the first was probably Michael Spinks when he went up from light heavyweight to heavyweight to face Larry Holmes, while still being lean and muscular. But in the 1980s no meaningful testing was being done, or even available. Evander Holyfield was notorious for doping to gain from light heavy as an amateur to cruiserweight as a young pro, to a very muscular and lean heavyweight. He was so bad at covering up for it he used a thinly veiled fake name to ship the stuff to his own home address. Everyone was doing it. The guys who were "caught" and busted were just the guys who weren't big ticket sellers, or a PITA to promoters and didn't have enough friends and clout to get away with it -- such as James Toney, a great old school boxer, but a notoriously arrogant loudmouth, gym bully and PITA.

The rest -- like Mayweather, Pacquiao, Manuel Marquez... basically any of Mayweather's opponents -- get away with it because there's too much money to be made and spread around to the promoters, venue hosts, networks, judges, doctors, boxing officials, boxers themselves and their crews and entourages. The unwritten policy is that as long as everyone is doing it, it can't be cheating.

Interesting, though, when Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao finally met in the ring, Pacman suddenly developed inflammation and requested permission for an anti-inflammatory injection, which was denied. It seemed odd because he was almost certain doping throughout training, then tapering and cleaning up just before the gratuitous show of PED testing before the fight. My guess is that Pacquiao knew Mayweather was doping equally and wanted an additional edge just before the bout.

The downside is it suppresses the natural cortisol response, so there's often a physical and mental letdown or crash later. The usual oral tapered dosage pack is intended to minimize that effect. In previous years when I've needed Prednisone for upper respiratory inflammation, bronchitis or pneumonia, I had no problems with the taper. But I crashed hard in October and November 2021 after taking the tapered dosages as prescribed. But the effect the first two or three days was great -- strongest and fastest I've felt in years. But it doesn't last.

At times during his career, Evander Holyfield would seemingly inexplicably fade during a fight, gas out and be on the verge of being knocked out, or getting knocked out. Holyfield was known to be a gym rat, an extremely hard worker. So it wasn't lack of conditioning. I suspect it was a combination of overtraining, and poorly timed intake of steroids. If the timing isn't just right the user crashes. The pro cycling peloton mastered this game by the late 1990s, but there were some notorious examples of guys who rode stages way beyond their established abilities, suddenly fading in other stages, because their PED usage wasn't optimal. There's an entire YouTube channel devoted to this stuff, and it's often hilarious, delivered with snarky overtones, but very persuasive.

You know alot about this stuff. Do you think that steroid fluticasone in my asthma medicine gases me out?

Midday, I literally crash and fall asleep for 10 minutes. I have had to stop a training ride to sleep on the side of the road. Interestingly, I stopped my inhaler for 18 months and this sleepy issue went away. I had to restart the inhaler in Early Winter after getting my covid booster, I got sick from it and it messed up my lungs. My Doc said to go back on the inhaler. I had been through a battery of tests a few years ago on the sleepy issue, no results. Reading what you wrote, I wonder if it is the steroid in the inhaler??
Old 04-02-22, 12:36 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts

Interesting stuff.

Though I wasn't mentioning steroids for doping. I was more commenting about the weight I can't seem to get rid of after I got over COVID. I don't remember being overly tired for any lingering period of time as a result of COVID or the regimen of steroid and anti-biotics. However since then, I don't seem to be getting rid of the extra poundage I add and keep through the winter. Nor did I get down to the weight I typically have during the summer when I'm really active and riding a lot.
Old 04-03-22, 01:06 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

You know alot about this stuff. Do you think that steroid fluticasone in my asthma medicine gases me out?

Midday, I literally crash and fall asleep for 10 minutes. I have had to stop a training ride to sleep on the side of the road. Interestingly, I stopped my inhaler for 18 months and this sleepy issue went away. I had to restart the inhaler in Early Winter after getting my covid booster, I got sick from it and it messed up my lungs. My Doc said to go back on the inhaler. I had been through a battery of tests a few years ago on the sleepy issue, no results. Reading what you wrote, I wonder if it is the steroid in the inhaler??
It's more likely you're experiencing long haul COVID symptoms. It's hit me harder and longer than I'd expected, and has affected other folks I know aged 50 or older who caught COVID and were sick-ish but not hospitalized.

After getting sick in late September I went from riding 500 miles a month, and jogging and walking, to not riding outdoors at all since October, doing only a few hours on the indoor trainer, and my jogging has sharply declined from about 20-30 miles a week to maybe 3-5 miles a week. I mostly walk now, about 3-5 miles several times a week. And I'm often so exhausted that I nap as soon as I get home. I used to feel energized and productive after exercising, but not now.

There have been some reports of reactions to the COVID vaccines, but relatively few and mostly anecdotes without hard data.

FWIW, it's possible to get a vaccine or immunization and still get sick from the disease. Happened to me in around 1981. At the time I worked in hemodialysis with patients who had kidney failure, and some patients had hepatitis. I caught hepatitis somehow, despite never getting an accidental needle stick. My family doctor gave me an injection of gamma globulin (now called immune globulin), which *can* help, but in my case it was too late. I got very sick, although the gamma globulin may have helped prevent long term damage. I had to quit college for the semester and had low energy for months. I was only 24 at the time, in top physical condition, but it took months to recover. And I never was as strong or energetic again. Maybe the reaction was to the gamma globulin, but there's no way of knowing.

And while it may seem odd to need multiple boosters for COVID, that isn't new. My childhood shot record shows I got four immunizations for polio and a few other common childhood diseases. I don't remember all of those, but the record shows I got them. I suspect the doubters now about vaccines simply forgot how many vaccines they received in childhood.

According to my immunologist and research I've read, the normal prescribed dosages of nasal and bronchial inhalers are too small to have any significant effect on our metabolism or performance.

For example, I was concerned about albuterol affecting my bone density, because I already have osteopenia (fairly common with aging). My doctors, including my endocrinologist, said the dosages of asthma and allergy inhalers are too small to have a detrimental effect.

Which is why when pro cyclists have been suspended, banned or investigated for elevated levels of even permissible inhalers, it's almost certainly because they are ingested these in large doses far beyond the normal prescriptions for asthma. They're taking these in large amounts for the relatively small benefit of gaining lean muscle.

It's also possible that the so-far *casual* connection between pro cyclists and loss of bone density may not only be due to pursuing a niche sport to extremes. It's possible the study subjects were also using or misusing other medications that affect bone density. Unfortunately on bicycle forums these studies were misinterpreted to the point that recreational cyclists, even those who ride around 500 miles a month as I used to, were equally vulnerable to bone density loss. There's no study to support this. There's certainly no evidence that casual recreational cycling is detrimental to our bone density health. Bone breakage from falls, sure. Bone density loss, no. We aren't riding 8 hours a day, thousands of miles a month, and competing in grueling race schedules, subsisting on diets that keep our weight artificially low.

For example, my thyroid failed after developing thyroid cancer in 2017-2018. The cancerous left lobe was removed. The right lobe was left intact but appears to have little or no function. I take levothyroxine to supplement thyroid function. But it's more difficult to replace parathyroid function which controls bone health.

So while my doctors are concerned about my taking Prednisone more often than absolutely necessary, they aren't concerned about my asthma and allergy inhalers.

Last edited by canklecat; 04-03-22 at 01:12 AM.
Old 04-03-22, 01:17 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by Iride01
Interesting stuff.

Though I wasn't mentioning steroids for doping. I was more commenting about the weight I can't seem to get rid of after I got over COVID. I don't remember being overly tired for any lingering period of time as a result of COVID or the regimen of steroid and anti-biotics. However since then, I don't seem to be getting rid of the extra poundage I add and keep through the winter. Nor did I get down to the weight I typically have during the summer when I'm really active and riding a lot.
That weight gain may also be related to the Prednisone. It interferes with our natural cortisol level, which is linked to weight, among other things. I gained about 15 lbs after getting Prednisone in October and November.

But... I also ate a lot more junk food during the holidays. I binged on about one entire pecan pie a week, and sometimes pumpkin pie too, every week from mid-November through early January 2022. My weight went from 150-165. I also wasn't nearly as physically active as I'd been for the past several years, mostly due to the lingering COVID symptoms, and somewhat due to the metabolic crash from Prednisone.

I'm back down a bit, fluctuating between 155-160. I don't obsess over it, but I have changed my diet a bit and cut back on the junk food.
Old 04-03-22, 01:53 PM
OldTryGuy

The PCA I know and am a member of is the Porsche Club of America. Considering that most members only drive and eat crappy food, I would not be surprised that they would be dying early too. What PCA do you know?
My PCa = Prostate Cancer
Old 04-03-22, 07:49 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

My PCa = Prostate Cancer
That really sucks. I would instead go with the PCA I know. Sorry but if caught early enough and not the aggressive sort, you will live a full life.

Old 04-04-22, 03:40 AM
OldTryGuy

That really sucks. I would instead go with the PCA I know. Sorry but if caught early enough and not the aggressive sort, you will live a full life.
Thanks for the thoughts. Son is a member of your PCA. As for me, NO, not caught early enough and is the worse cell structure being GLEASON 5+5. Only 5 men of every 100 throughout the World being diagnosed with PCa are 5+5. I have a scan 1 week from tomorrow that most likely will show the cancer has metastasized. Along with the blood work results indicating possible PCa advancement were results showing possible kidney issues.

c'est la vie
Old 04-04-22, 09:00 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Thanks for the thoughts. Son is a member of your PCA. As for me, NO, not caught early enough and is the worse cell structure being GLEASON 5+5. Only 5 men of every 100 throughout the World being diagnosed with PCa are 5+5. I have a scan 1 week from tomorrow that most likely will show the cancer has metastasized. Along with the blood work results indicating possible PCa advancement were results showing possible kidney issues.

c'est la vie
Oh crap. That beyond sucks. Words cannot express my dismay at your diagnosis. Hopefully your scan will be negative. Your story is one for all males to take heed and get their annual physicals I still insist on getting my PSA tested after my dear brother in-laws untimely death because he didn’t believe in physicals and had stage 5 prostate cancer. Best wishes to you.

Old 04-05-22, 05:00 AM
OldTryGuy

Oh crap. That beyond sucks. Words cannot express my dismay at your diagnosis. Hopefully your scan will be negative. Your story is one for all males to take heed and get their annual physicals I still insist on getting my PSA tested after my dear brother in-laws untimely death because he didn’t believe in physicals and had stage 5 prostate cancer. Best wishes to you.
Your attention to monitoring your PSA is commendable. ALL MEN should follow your example and had I been more diligent I might not be where I am. I quote very few people but one person that in my opinion had words worth repeating is Dr. George Sheehan --- https://www.georgesheehan.com/bio --- "George Sheehan died four days short of his 75th birthday on November 1, 1993.--- Dr. Sheehan was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 1986. By the time it was discovered it had spread to his bones." He lived a FULL LIFE until his death from PCa and I am trying to follow his excellent example.

“We are each an experiment of one.
A unique, never-to-be repeated event.” -- Dr. George Sheehan

Good luck and GOOD HEALTH
Old 04-05-22, 05:14 AM
GhostRider62

It's more likely you're experiencing long haul COVID symptoms. It's hit me harder and longer than I'd expected, and has affected other folks I know aged 50 or older who caught COVID and were sick-ish but not hospitalized.

After getting sick in late September I went from riding 500 miles a month, and jogging and walking, to not riding outdoors at all since October, doing only a few hours on the indoor trainer, and my jogging has sharply declined from about 20-30 miles a week to maybe 3-5 miles a week. I mostly walk now, about 3-5 miles several times a week. And I'm often so exhausted that I nap as soon as I get home. I used to feel energized and productive after exercising, but not now.

There have been some reports of reactions to the COVID vaccines, but relatively few and mostly anecdotes without hard data.

FWIW, it's possible to get a vaccine or immunization and still get sick from the disease. Happened to me in around 1981. At the time I worked in hemodialysis with patients who had kidney failure, and some patients had hepatitis. I caught hepatitis somehow, despite never getting an accidental needle stick. My family doctor gave me an injection of gamma globulin (now called immune globulin), which *can* help, but in my case it was too late. I got very sick, although the gamma globulin may have helped prevent long term damage. I had to quit college for the semester and had low energy for months. I was only 24 at the time, in top physical condition, but it took months to recover. And I never was as strong or energetic again. Maybe the reaction was to the gamma globulin, but there's no way of knowing.

And while it may seem odd to need multiple boosters for COVID, that isn't new. My childhood shot record shows I got four immunizations for polio and a few other common childhood diseases. I don't remember all of those, but the record shows I got them. I suspect the doubters now about vaccines simply forgot how many vaccines they received in childhood.

According to my immunologist and research I've read, the normal prescribed dosages of nasal and bronchial inhalers are too small to have any significant effect on our metabolism or performance.

For example, I was concerned about albuterol affecting my bone density, because I already have osteopenia (fairly common with aging). My doctors, including my endocrinologist, said the dosages of asthma and allergy inhalers are too small to have a detrimental effect.

Which is why when pro cyclists have been suspended, banned or investigated for elevated levels of even permissible inhalers, it's almost certainly because they are ingested these in large doses far beyond the normal prescriptions for asthma. They're taking these in large amounts for the relatively small benefit of gaining lean muscle.

It's also possible that the so-far *casual* connection between pro cyclists and loss of bone density may not only be due to pursuing a niche sport to extremes. It's possible the study subjects were also using or misusing other medications that affect bone density. Unfortunately on bicycle forums these studies were misinterpreted to the point that recreational cyclists, even those who ride around 500 miles a month as I used to, were equally vulnerable to bone density loss. There's no study to support this. There's certainly no evidence that casual recreational cycling is detrimental to our bone density health. Bone breakage from falls, sure. Bone density loss, no. We aren't riding 8 hours a day, thousands of miles a month, and competing in grueling race schedules, subsisting on diets that keep our weight artificially low.

For example, my thyroid failed after developing thyroid cancer in 2017-2018. The cancerous left lobe was removed. The right lobe was left intact but appears to have little or no function. I take levothyroxine to supplement thyroid function. But it's more difficult to replace parathyroid function which controls bone health.

So while my doctors are concerned about my taking Prednisone more often than absolutely necessary, they aren't concerned about my asthma and allergy inhalers.
Thanks for the very detailed response. You're probably right WRT my asthma medicine. I do hate to use the albuterol but there are times it is a life saver. Diesel smoke really gets me nowadays.

Interestingly, I had osteoporosis but I managed to reverse it over a 2 year period to a score of +0.3 from -2.7. And, you are correct most don't ride thousands of miles per month but I used to. In fact, I doubt there were years where I did not have a couple WEEKS at 1,000+ miles each.

I have been Pcr and antibody tested a million times and have never tested positive. I tested before and after receiving my booster and was negative. My wife was sick the next day after the Moderna Booster and I was sick 3 days afterwards, which is why I tested. I am quite certain I did not acquire Covid.
Old 04-06-22, 12:18 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

I have been Pcr and antibody tested a million times and have never tested positive. I tested before and after receiving my booster and was negative. My wife was sick the next day after the Moderna Booster and I was sick 3 days afterwards, which is why I tested. I am quite certain I did not acquire Covid.
Reactions soon after immunizations may indicate a negative reaction to the vaccines. I reacted within 15 minutes to gamma globulin in 1981, which was fairly uncommon.

Other than the usual flu-like immune system reactions to the Moderna jabs in April and May 2021, lasting about 12 hours, I had no negative reactions. I felt great until late September 2021 when I suddenly developed most of the familiar COVID symptoms. But my home and PCR tests were all negative. However, while positive test results are considered reliable, negative tests are not, especially the older tests used on the Delta and Omicron variants. So I'm not convinced my lingering illness was anything other than COVID.

And it's a huge PITA. Today I went for my usual 3-5 mile jog and my heart rate immediately hit 130 bpm just during a leisurely walking warmup. As soon as I began a 10 minute/mile easy jogging pace my heart rate pegged at 160 bpm and stayed there for 90 minutes, even when I was sitting in the shade. And in 6 miles of walking in 93 degree heat I never broke a sweat. I noticed that at the 3 mile halfway point and realized I'd better slow down, just walk and sit in the shade once in awhile. I didn't feel energetic, but I didn't feel sick either. My metabolism is just all screwed up and has been for months.

At this time last year I was running -- not jogging or walking -- 5-7 miles at a time, 4-5 days a week. And bicycling 300-500 miles a month. A year later I can barely get out of bed to take a leisurely walk before my heart rate pegs and I'm exhausted and need a nap. This stuff sucks.

I have an annual physical with the VA in a week or two, but I'm not hopeful. My former primary care doc with the VA was terrific but she retired early in the pandemic. The guy they assigned to me is politely indifferent and unresponsive. So far he's been an empty smock filling a seat. I've asked for referrals to specialists and been ignored. I'll ask again this month, but I'm not expecting much. I might escalate this to the national ombudsman, or I might just give up on the VA and switch completely to Medicare.
Old 04-08-22, 01:39 AM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
Decades ago, I spent a couple of seasons racing a few times and suffering through lots of training rides. Although I stopped racing, I've always enjoyed pushing myself, sprinting and climbing. That, and genetics, probably explains why my heart rate is 39 beats per minute when I wake and can hit 180+ when I'm flogging myself to go faster.

I'm 74. I've slowed down. Not by a lot, though. I still set personal records on sprints and climbs and snag an occasional, well, rare, Strava KOM on obscure, short segments.

I lost several pounds over the past year (I eat lots of fresh vegetables, lots of fresh fruit, plenty of protein, and few sweets or anything that comes in a package with a list of ingredients). While that hasn't made sprinting or riding easier, it's let me ride a littler faster.

Even though I can see my times are slower on my favorite routes, especially when pedaling uphill, I'm in in better shape than many people I ride with, who are decades younger than me. Fit, young cyclists who ride a lot or race leave me in the dust.