Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bib shorts with comfortable straps?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-22, 06:18 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts

I have bought and returned 6 pairs of bib shorts and with all of them the straps are too tight and these are made so there is no adjustment possible. I may need to buy some material and have a short section added to the straps.

Anyone else encountered this problem and if so what did you do?
Old 03-27-22, 08:34 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6943 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
I have bought and returned 6 pairs of bib shorts and with all of them the straps are too tight and these are made so there is no adjustment possible. I may need to buy some material and have a short section added to the straps.

I am 6‘1“ tall, with a disproportionately long torso. I wear medium bib shorts and I have never had the problem you described. What is your height, what sizes are you buying, and which brands? Then we may know what to recommend.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-28-22, 08:13 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
I am 6'5 and dont wear a couple of brands due to the straps making me feel like I am hunched over due to being too short.

Voler bibs have straps that are plenty elastic enough for me. Black Bibs makes a tall version of their higher level bibs that adds length to the strap and leg. Even basic Pearl Izumi bibs have straps that are long enough for me, though I dont like them for other fitment reasons.
Old 03-28-22, 09:33 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11954 Post(s)
Liked 6,610 Times in 3,469 Posts

I have. It's because I'm 6'5 with a long torso. I just don't use bibs non-shorts and don't miss them at all.
Old 03-28-22, 10:11 AM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I am 6'5 and dont wear a couple of brands due to the straps making me feel like I am hunched over due to being too short.

Voler bibs have straps that are plenty elastic enough for me. Black Bibs makes a tall version of their higher level bibs that adds length to the strap and leg. Even basic Pearl Izumi bibs have straps that are long enough for me, though I dont like them for other fitment reasons.
or just the strap:
https://theblackbibs.com/collections...houlder-straps
Old 03-28-22, 10:33 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Do you have unusual proportions? How far off are you from comfort? Keep in mind that many bibs can be a little uncomfortable when standing bolt upright, but that they're made with an on-bike position in mind. While most good bibs have enough stretch to accommodate both, not all will if you're long of torso.
Old 03-28-22, 10:45 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Or ... you could follow the example of the guru of the Boston racing scene 45 years ago (John Allis - first US rider to race in Europe in the modern era); before bibs even existed. Suspenders. In those days, better shorts had buttons for them. I was cheap, bought cheap shorts and clip-on suspenders. I now wear the shorts version of good bibs (for typically $15 less per pair) and clip-ons. Very comfortable, the straps always feel right, strap stretch over time isn't an issue (and changing clothes mid-ride, bladder (and more) stops are so much easier!)
Old 03-28-22, 11:11 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Tone
woah! I emailed them asking for this a couple years ago. I actually moved off of the Plus bibs because even though I liked them, the leg length is long and the ends flap unless I pull the legs up.
That leg on the long version js perfect for someone 6'8(I think their model is that height). This option you posted could be good for most everyone else.
Old 03-29-22, 02:03 AM
whever123987

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I bought a bib shorts before, although it is low price, the quality is good, the straps are really stretchy and not so tight, didn't make me feel uncomfortable at all.
Old 03-29-22, 04:12 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3257 Post(s)
Liked 2,082 Times in 978 Posts
^^

Man we’re nearing Terminator level robots eh?

I have some Summit Raptor bibs from Pactimo that IMO have really comfortable straps. They’re pricey if you don’t catch them on sale though.
Old 03-29-22, 05:40 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Or ... you could follow the example of the guru of the Boston racing scene 45 years ago (John Allis - first US rider to race in Europe in the modern era); before bibs even existed. Suspenders. In those days, better shorts had buttons for them. I was cheap, bought cheap shorts and clip-on suspenders. I now wear the shorts version of good bibs (for typically $15 less per pair) and clip-ons. Very comfortable, the straps always feel right, strap stretch over time isn't an issue (and changing clothes mid-ride, bladder (and more) stops are so much easier!)
That's a good idea/option.
Old 03-29-22, 05:48 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I'm 6'4''. When I am lean, I ride mostly Assos bibs, Cento or the Evo ones. They are normally very comfortable BUT when I am overweight as now, they pull really hard getting up and over the mountain. Sometimes, I now ride shorts or knickers w/o straps.
Old 03-29-22, 11:52 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,600 Times in 2,907 Posts
At 6’2”, I have only tossed one pair of bibs because they pulled up so adamantly at my crotch they were always uncomfortable. I typically only wear bibs during the cooler months and switch over to regular cycling shorts for the hot months. I find bibs too hot on hot days, but they do offer good stomach control top action. Spanx for men?

Old 03-30-22, 01:50 AM
Chrisyang

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
I'm 5'9, also with a disproportionately torso. Used to buy a bib from Assos, it doesn't work very well. Any other recommendations?
Old 03-30-22, 01:50 AM
Chrisyang

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
That's a good idea/option.
That helps a lot indeed. Thank you/
Old 03-30-22, 06:36 AM
freetors

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Are there any brands that have adjustable straps?
Old 03-30-22, 01:30 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
I am 6'3" and I have very large thighs. Last year I bought a pair of bibs from Fat Lad at the Back. I followed their size chart and they became my favorite bibs on the first ride.

Their sizes run all the way to huge, and the quality of the fabric and sewing is first class on the stuff I bought.

I will probably be buying another pair this year.
Old 04-07-22, 04:55 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I've had a bunch bib short straps feel uncomfortably tight at first, and then they eventually stretch and aren't a problem.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 04-08-22, 08:49 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Not a fan of bibs. I tuck the shoulder straps in the waist band and wear them like shorts. More comfortable and easier at pit stops.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html