Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

700c 32-40mm tire options

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-22, 08:04 AM
Kabuto

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 54 Posts

Any suggestions for tires that fit the following criteria?

*700c
* fast rolling
* all road use (maybe some light gravel but mostly road)
* tubeless
* preferably on the wider side of the 32mm - 40mm range
Old 04-23-22, 08:25 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3253 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 977 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuto
Any suggestions for tires that fit the following criteria?

*700c
* fast rolling
* all road use (maybe some light gravel but mostly road)
* tubeless
* preferably on the wider side of the 32mm - 40mm range
Challenge Strada Bianca HTLR 36
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 04-23-22, 08:41 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,719 Times in 1,004 Posts
Pirelli has the P Zero Race TLR in a 30, I use them on my Domane, very nice tire. They also have the Cinturato in 32 and 35.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-23-22, 03:14 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Gravelking slick. Not SK model, not SS model, but the slick model. And not '+' protection.

Just Gravelking Slick. It comes in multiple sizes within your range, is relatively inexpensive, relatively fast rolling for the size, and relatively durable for the speed.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-23-22, 09:15 PM
Kabuto

Originally Posted by phrantic09
I came across these while googling. A bit pricey but they look like great tires! I think I read one review that said they're full on race tires though?

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Pirelli has the P Zero Race TLR in a 30, I use them on my Domane, very nice tire. They also have the Cinturato in 32 and 35.
I hadn't noticed the Cinturato tires came in 32mm and 35mm widths!

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Gravelking slick. Not SK model, not SS model, but the slick model. And not '+' protection.

Just Gravelking Slick. It comes in multiple sizes within your range, is relatively inexpensive, relatively fast rolling for the size, and relatively durable for the speed.
These look hard to beat in terms of cost/performance.

I thought there would be more options for road / light gravel wide slicks, but I'm not finding finding anything besides these tires above and Compass / Rene Herse tires. Is there anything I missed?
Old 04-23-22, 09:33 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
I came across these while googling. A bit pricey but they look like great tires! I think I read one review that said they're full on race tires though?

I hadn't noticed the Cinturato tires came in 32mm and 35mm widths!

These look hard to beat in terms of cost/performance.

I thought there would be more options for road / light gravel wide slicks, but I'm not finding finding anything besides these tires above and Compass / Rene Herse tires. Is there anything I missed?
https://www.wtb.com/products/exposure
36mm option in black or tanwall. No experience with them.

https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/G-ONE_Speed
Comes in 35mm and 38mm size. No experience with them.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-24-22, 04:25 AM
The_woo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
IRC Boken.
WTB Byway.
Likes For The_woo:
Old 04-24-22, 07:46 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3253 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 977 Posts
They’re going to be comparable to an RH extra light tire, but with a puncture strip. They make it in sizes up to 40.
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 04-24-22, 01:40 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
I currently have the Roubaix Pro 2Bliss Ready on my road bike. They call it 30/32 and it has a great compound, very grippy. They aren't the lightest tire but have a great feel, install fairly easily on my wheels, and seat with a floor pump.

They have good puncture resistance. I did slice the tread on my third ride after install but that would happen to any tire and a bacon strip inserted got me home. I have no issue taking them on light gravel if needed and they are comfortable on the road as well.
Likes For KJ43:
Old 04-24-22, 04:49 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Continental Gran Prix Urban (35mm). I've no experience with them though, since all of the bicycles I currently ride use the 50-406 size.
Likes For Nyah:
Old 04-27-22, 06:53 PM
Kabuto

Originally Posted by Nyah
Continental Gran Prix Urban (35mm). I've no experience with them though, since all of the bicycles I currently ride use the 50-406 size.
I think this is a tubed only tire, but its certainly an interesting option. Thanks for posting.
Old 04-27-22, 07:08 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
Originally Posted by mstateglfr

Personally, I would stay away from Challenge tires as their tread happens to come unglued from the carcass. On my third tire and many similar reports.

And Panaracer tires have bead issues - they are quick to replace but I hate having to go through that. Again, many similar reports.

For me, I like tires from Continental, Schwalbe, and Michelin. Pick your size and ride.
Old 04-29-22, 06:40 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
Personally, I would stay away from Challenge tires as their tread happens to come unglued from the carcass. On my third tire and many similar reports.

And Panaracer tires have bead issues - they are quick to replace but I hate having to go through that. Again, many similar reports.

For me, I like tires from Continental, Schwalbe, and Michelin. Pick your size and ride.
Could you expand on what you mean by bead issues? I just put some GravelKings on the wife’s hybrid (replacing 895g Kenda wire beads!), and would love to know what to look out for. Not especially concerned as she just rides around the neighborhood and will probably settle in at <50PSI, but still curious. They otherwise seem like a very nice, road + dry dirt path + light gravel tire. Got them in 32mm, they come out to ~31mm on her rims.
Old 04-29-22, 06:47 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by aliasfox
Could you expand on what you mean by bead issues? I just put some GravelKings on the wife’s hybrid (replacing 895g Kenda wire beads!), and would love to know what to look out for. Not especially concerned as she just rides around the neighborhood and will probably settle in at <50PSI, but still curious. They otherwise seem like a very nice, road + dry dirt path + light gravel tire. Got them in 32mm, they come out to ~31mm on her rims.
That statement only replies to tubeless use. They tend to go on real easy but also can blow off the rims when run tubeless. But all you have to do is call them and tell them the tire is loose or blows off the rim and they will send you a new tire. Very good CS.
Old 04-29-22, 09:24 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
That statement only replies to tubeless use. They tend to go on real easy but also can blow off the rims when run tubeless. But all you have to do is call them and tell them the tire is loose or blows off the rim and they will send you a new tire. Very good CS.
Gotcha - thanks!
Old 05-01-22, 09:26 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
I think this is a tubed only tire, but its certainly an interesting option. Thanks for posting.
This is a comfortable, practically slick tire that handles and rolls very well. I have them on my hybrid. Same compound as Grand Prix 5000. Grand Prix Urban (continental-tires.com)