Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Robin Hood Lenton Sports?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Robin Hood Lenton Sports?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-22, 03:55 PM
swampyankee2

Bikes: '08 Specialized Sirrus, '92 Trek 820, '72 Raleigh Sports, 60? Fongers single speed, '72 Dawes Galaxy, '67 Robin Hood Lenton Sports

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
Well, you mentioned touring. If you plan on packing a lot of stuff for a big trip, hit it with all the aluminum that you want. If you're just going to ride it near-by, under 20 miles, think about leaving the steel. In my opinion, the steel components have a smoother function. In '67, Britain was making some nice alloy brake sets, bars and stem, so you can have authenticity and performance, too.
As pleasant as it sounds I can't imagine taking a 50 year old bike on a long ride. I only refer to preserving the full fendered touring style of bike that it is. If i could find a set of steel rims that aren't all rusted I'd consider it.
Old 04-05-22, 02:21 PM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Bikes: 1954 Robin Hood, 1964 Dunelt, 1968 Raleigh Superbe, 1969 Robin Hood, 197? Gitane, 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1981 Miyata 710, 1990 Miyata 600GT, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by swampyankee2
As pleasant as it sounds I can't imagine taking a 50 year old bike on a long ride. I only refer to preserving the full fendered touring style of bike that it is. If i could find a set of steel rims that aren't all rusted I'd consider it.
You might be surprised how well a 50 year old bike does on a long ride.
Old 05-12-22, 07:31 AM
swampyankee2

Bikes: '08 Specialized Sirrus, '92 Trek 820, '72 Raleigh Sports, 60? Fongers single speed, '72 Dawes Galaxy, '67 Robin Hood Lenton Sports

A little update on the RH Lenton Sports. I pulled a decent set of aluminum rimmed wheels with quick-release axles from a parts bike. I had to file the dropouts a bit to fit the larger axles, and I snipped the front fender stays open so they slip over the axle since the fork has no fender-mount lugs. Dia-Comp levers replaced the steel originals, and D-C side-pull calipers replace the Raleigh steel ones. I sourced a nice B17 saddle since the owner said "it came with a leather saddle but got wet and warped". I replaced the Huret Allivit RD with a Svelto from the same parts bike. Not a real upgrade I know, but it looks a bit lighter and is of the same period so I thought I'd try it. During a test-ride I noticed the pedals seem to be slightly bent. They are the common rat-trap types (Lyotards?) and I have another set from a bike I'm upgrading. I'll keep the steel bars and stem, as well as everything else stock. The frame is comfortable and rides nicely.
I know it's nothing historic, but it's still pretty unique and a good, vintage bike for my modest "collection".
Old 05-12-22, 07:42 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
A little suggestion, next time file parallel flats on the axle instead of the frame. Axles are replaceable, frames less so.

Likes For clubman:
Old 05-12-22, 08:42 AM
swampyankee2

Originally Posted by clubman
A little suggestion, next time file parallel flats on the axle instead of the frame. Axles are replaceable, frames less so.
I had considered filing flats on the axles, but I really didn't have to take much out - maybe 0.5 mm at most - to get them to fit. Getting the flats 180 degrees opposite on the axles and then having to line up the flats to mount wheels every time was a bit more daunting.
Old 05-12-22, 09:56 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

It's actually simpler than is seems with a handfile and vice. Then if you find an original set of wheels you like you won't have any orientation problems or slippage.
Next time.
Old 05-12-22, 11:31 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26412 Post(s)
Liked 10,378 Times in 7,206 Posts
It's a bit of a dilemma. It's a unique vintage bike, yet not terribly valuable. I like it enough to upgrade it, but how much original character should I keep and how much should I upgrade to make it rideable?
...here is the Lenton Grand Prix from 1958 that I reworked. It is pretty rideable, not especially fast, but somewhat more enjoyable than it was with the original components.
You can probably see what I replaced with alloy just looking at the photo. I found the original wheels to be vexatious, so once I replaced those with something a little lighter/newer, I just decided to go with what felt right.

original

original

original

original

original

How it eventually turned out. I have since mounted fenders on it, but they are far from authentic originals.

Last edited by 3alarmer; 05-12-22 at 11:34 AM.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 05-12-22, 11:34 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26412 Post(s)
Liked 10,378 Times in 7,206 Posts
...just as an FYI, I think they stopped selling Raleigh Lentons in 1960. You can look here.
Old 05-12-22, 11:43 AM
swampyankee2

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...just as an FYI, I think they stopped selling Raleigh Lentons in 1960. You can look here.
Right. I read the Raleigh LS was last sold in 1962. The Robin Hood version came later (mine's a '67) and is a Lenton Sports in name only, built on a standard Hi-ten Raleigh Sports frame. In fact, when I posted a pic on the Lenton Sports and Variations FB group, no one had ever heard of it. I imagine it was only marketed it as a Lenton Sports outside of England where the name wouldn't have such an expectation of performance.

Last edited by swampyankee2; 05-12-22 at 11:48 AM.
Likes For swampyankee2:
Old 05-12-22, 05:30 PM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Bikes: 1954 Robin Hood, 1964 Dunelt, 1968 Raleigh Superbe, 1969 Robin Hood, 197? Gitane, 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1981 Miyata 710, 1990 Miyata 600GT, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 116 Posts
Right. I read the Raleigh LS was last sold in 1962. The Robin Hood version came later (mine's a '67) and is a Lenton Sports in name only, built on a standard Hi-ten Raleigh Sports frame. In fact, when I posted a pic on the Lenton Sports and Variations FB group, no one had ever heard of it. I imagine it was only marketed it as a Lenton Sports outside of England where the name wouldn't have such an expectation of performance.
I think I've seen four Lenton Sports in 52 years. Two on this thread, and two I had in my hands.
Old 05-13-22, 06:17 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

We had gold Lenton Sports models sold in Canada, full 3 speed Sports as you described. I had a '63 with AW hub. We also had the early Lenton Sports and Clubmans from the late 40s/50's. Marketing guys don't care if informed consumers know quality when they see it's absence. Target the mass herd that doesn't give a whit.

England was blessed with high quality rides so of course, the faux LS's weren't made available. I think.

My first LS...wrong bars I think.

Last edited by clubman; 05-13-22 at 06:27 PM.